Kathrine Harris - Separation of Church and State?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Found this: I can't believe the Republican canditate for a state office is saying such as this.

.."Florida Congresswoman Katherine Harris, a professed Christian, is being criticized for telling a Baptist journal that separation of church and state is "a lie" and that God and America's founding fathers did not intend the country to be "a nation of secular laws." The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate told the Florida Baptist Witness that separating religion and politics is "wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers." Harris also said that if Christians are not elected, politicians will "legislate sin," including abortion and homosexual "marriage." Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Florida Democrat who is Jewish, told the Orlando Sentinel that she was "disgusted" by Harris's comments. [AP"

I am absolutely horrified this is taking place in 2006 here in America.

So I suppose God chose Hitler to rule Germany as well. And according to this gal, God chose all the leaders in the Middle East too. And North Korea as well. Let's not leave the North Koreans out of this.

Pensive Josh

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Stuff like this pisses me off. Fundamentalists trying to taint our legislative system by bringing religion into all of it. Fuck 'em.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
fortiesfun said:
Funny thing is, when cornered about it she explained that she only said it because she been speaking to an entirely Christian audience. Apparently that makes it okay.

I'm happy to see it happen.

I wish more people like she and Tom Cruise would speak up in public and reveal themselves for the raving lunatics that they are.

Of course my preference would be a tatoo on the forehead, but that hasn't caught on yet.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
fortiesfun said:
Funny thing is, when cornered about it she explained that she only said it because she been speaking to an entirely Christian audience. Apparently that makes it okay.
I wonder what version she plans to give when meeting Jewish, Muslim, atheists, and other non Christians.

Harris has done her dirty work for the party. They don't need her anymore. I'm sure she will be abondoned.

But don't think for a moment that the Republican Party disagrees with what she said. They just didn't mean for it to be spoken so bluntly for all Americans to hear. Non Christians weren't supposed to get wind of what she said.

Eight years of hell and a Bush government out of control, compliments of Bitch Harris.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You know, I always hope these public outings will disgust the American people, but it never ceases to amaze me how much someone like her really DOES speak for a large numger of people.

The repubs are attacking democrats on tv right now using "sin strategy", and it is positively revolting. "Common sense Ohio" or some such schlock as that, these people just aren't even trying to be subtle anymore, politicking on religous platforms. Makes me want to puke.

coopturn

Expert Member
Media
The Republicans don't have a corner on this market, by any means. It's next to impossible for a Democrat to get elected these days without making the obligatory rounds to the black churches. And let's not forget the candidacies of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unfortunately she does voice the opinions of a lot of people. I'm still waiting for the the silent, stifled, stonewalled majority to be heard. How's that for alliteration? You equate this with Tom Cruise Gilette? What news rags are you buying at the checkout?

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Coopturn...without getting into the problem of a two party system that hardly provides a proper forum for discussion and progression, what is your point? That they are both black? Al sharpton and Jesse Jackson are very different people. Care to elaborate?

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Stretch said:
You equate this with Tom Cruise Gilette? What news rags are you buying at the checkout?
Gillette's point was that some people reveal their lunacy all too well simply by opening their own mouths. Cruise and Harris were but two disparate examples of that; no direct association was implied.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
alex8 said:
Gillette's point was that some people reveal their lunacy all too well simply by opening their own mouths. Cruise and Harris were but two disparate examples of that; no direct association was implied.

tom cruise isn't running for office and trying to change our lives via legislation. he can be as loopy as he wants. it does not affect me. miss harris wants to be a united states senator. if she won, her twisted views could potentially affect all americans, not just floridians.

i'm paranoid. when someone running for office says something like this, you think "that's looney and can only help the opposition". but there IS a sector of the population that was cheering when she said it, and people worse than her have been elected in years past.

never overestimate the intelligence of the american people, especially in the red states.

coopturn, your statement is strange. what the hell does a democrat visiting a black church or any church have in common with a republican candidate wanting to turn our country into a theocracy? what if a republican candidate visits a church? that's ok and not "obligatory"?

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Freddie53 said:
I am absolutely horrified this is taking place in 2006 here in America.
If that's truly the case, then prepare to be "absolutely horrified" until your death, or learn not to overreact so much. Bigotry is rampant. Embrace and silently step over it without feeding the fire with words.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey Alex. Read your posts before and have only respect. This is so silly but... Gilette did make a direct correlation between them. One is a Congresswoman and the other is an actor. Hardly a comparison. Now...Schwartzenegger aside...there should be a difference. I know that every elected official has his or her own beliefs that effect the way they govern and vote. Hopefully the checks and balances in the system work that out, even though checks and balances seem to have been deemed an unnesessary evil by this administration. Unless u are so adamantly against scientology I'm not really sure why you came to Gilettes defense.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Stretch said:
Gilette did make a direct correlation between them. One is a Congresswoman and the other is an actor. Hardly a comparison.

Yeah, because those in the entertainment industry, whether they stand on a religious platform or not, don't hold any ground when it comes to swaying public opinion.

Please.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Gillette said:
I wish more people like she and Tom Cruise would speak up in public and reveal themselves for the raving lunatics that they are.
Two disparate examples of people who speak up and look like fools in so doing.

No further link than that implied.

My reason for posting before: to clarify what I felt Gillette had intended to convey.

My thoughts right now: I wish I hadn't fuckin' bothered.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Heather LouAnna said:
It's funny how you said thoughts instead of feelings. It makes it feel more cold that way.

I had my ability to feel purged years ago, prior to being transformed into a cyborg device whose purpose is to type responses at this forum. :rolleyes: