Kathrine Harris - Separation of Church and State?

T

that_other_guy

alex8 said:
I had my ability to feel purged years ago, prior to being transformed into a cyborg device whose purpose is to type responses at this forum. :rolleyes:

But think of all the weight you lost ... :rolleyes:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stretch said:
. I know that every elected official has his or her own beliefs that effect the way they govern and vote. quote]
Yes and some happen to be unconstitutional, and some are not. Some are astoundingly stupid, and some are not.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Not to beat on an already addressed issue but...

I think Gillette was trying to point out that over time, Katherine Harris and Tom Cuise have revealed themselves to be complete and total whack-jobs. Both in their strange behavior and in their their equally strange (IMO) beliefs!

I agree that I care more about what Katherine Harris does and says, because she may someday have a vote on decisions that will affect my, and every other Americans (indeed everybody in the world's) lives! She has proven to be nothing more than an oppurtunist and lapdog for the administration. Even Republicans in Florida are trying to get her to drop out of her race for the Senate. That's saying something for how truly bad an individual, and candidate she is! I for one have mixed feelings about her staying in the race. On the one hand she probably gives the Democrats an advantage! On the other hand she can always manage a win and then we will be stuck with her for six years at least, as a United States Senator!:eek: I guess all I, and anyone, can do is hope that no matter what, SHE won't BE a Senator!

Coopturn:

I can see part of your argument, in that Democrats are hardly immune from changing their 'beliefs' and views to please a given audience!

In the case of Katherine Harris however, she really DOES hold the views that she shared with that audience!

She is running for an office that is important, and key in deciding the course of our nation, and as I said before, one which also affects people around the world! Therefore, as an American, I have every right to ridicule, disagree with, and criticize her statements and beliefs! Those of us who do such things, do them in the hope that those undecideds and swing voters will see her for what she is! I hope she never becomes a U.S. Senator (which is about all I can do not being from Florida myself) and that voters in Florida will pick a better choice than her in this election! Being a Democrat, I would hope that that better choice is also a Democrat! I know little about the Democrat running against her, but from what I do know, he seems a much better choice compared to her!

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
alex8 said:
My thoughts right now: I wish I hadn't fuckin' bothered.

Hope I did not precipitate this. Probably should not have quoted you. It gave the wrong impression, to you and Gillette both perhaps.

I was just trying to convey that one loopy person has the potential to be more dangerous than the other.

Removing my bad self from the thread now. :rolleyes:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
alex8 said:
I had my ability to feel purged years ago, prior to being transformed into a cyborg device whose purpose is to type responses at this forum. :rolleyes:

Kind of like an AI?
Actually I'd like to say that you're an eI since there is nothing artificial about your intelligence.

Stretch, Alex interpreted my post correctly. The only direct link I intended was that both Tom Cruise and Katherine Harris chose to speak their "minds" in public only to reveal the yawning abyss within.

It was simply a smart ass comment not related to the political aspect of this thread in any way.

Agnslz, good to see you caught my meaning.

Dcwrestlefan - come back and play, my first post is a non-issue.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Every once in a while one of the wingnut Republicans forgets to talk in code while the cameras are rolling and removes all doubt about what the GOP is really all about. It happened to Trent Lott and now it happened to Katherine Harris.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Stretch said:
Heather...your photo links are a great example of how public figures don't influence people :)

If I were truly posing an influential argument, I would do it in a proper debate fashion with facts and eloquent words, but it'd be rather fruitless on a messageboard. Opinions are rarely ever swayed in this realm. I'm just making a valid point. I'm not trying to bleed hearts and jerk tears. :rolleyes:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stretch said:
Well said justasking!!!...uuummm...what exactly did that mean?
haha, i suppose it would have been a lot cooler if I had not screwed up the quoting. My feeling was that you were underplaying Harris's speech as just the normal range of political opinion that would be expressed in a politically healthy American conversation. If I got that wrong, I deserve to have messed up the quoting technology.

If I got it right, my point was that Harris's speech was both stupid and anti-Constitutional. It is outside the tent of normal healthy opinions of a reasonable American politician.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Gillette said:
Dcwrestlefan - come back and play, my first post is a non-issue.

thanks hon. smooch. :smile:

i'm going to be sickly sweet for the next couple of weeks. that way, no one will get the wrong impression when i post. signed, a kinder and gentler dc.

for example, i think katherine harris is very pretty. here is her picture.

Attachments

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Freddie53 said:
.."Florida Congresswoman Katherine Harris, a professed Christian, is being criticized for telling a Baptist journal that separation of church and state is "a lie" and that God and America's founding fathers did not intend the country to be "a nation of secular laws." The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate told the Florida Baptist Witness that separating religion and politics is "wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers." Harris also said that if Christians are not elected, politicians will "legislate sin," including abortion and homosexual "marriage." Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, a Florida Democrat who is Jewish, told the Orlando Sentinel that she was "disgusted" by Harris's comments. [AP"...
Hmmmm, do they breed these people in FL? Wasn't there some FL woman in the 1970s with big hair who made statements like this and someone threw an orange at her or something at one of her public appearances?

I'll try and make my question even more vague next time.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Stretch said:
Alex...Why do you think Tom Cruise looks like a fool? I know you would rather avoid this whole topic but you jumped in.
For the love of fuck.

If one is performing the function of an interpreter (conveying what has been said in language that may render it clearer to a specific listener), then one is merely seeking to add clarity and transparency. I did this because the thread could otherwise have become embroiled in a debate about "why Tom Cruise is considered a politician", due to two arbitrary examples having been construed as having a direct link on this level also.

When I am performing the duties of a interpreter (a fairly thankless pursuit in real life, which is why I left that particular vocation behind in RL years ago), the views which I express are those of the original speaker. I do not feel the need to preface every clause with "In Gillette's perception...", etc.

My purpose in posting on this thread was (once upon a time) to provide a means for the discussion to move on without getting bogged down in irrelevance due to a misconstrued allusion. If you look at a lot of my posts on these boards, you will observe that they are intended to serve the purpose of clarifying remarks which have been made, without weighing in with any opinion myself.

Once again, though: For the love of fuck.