1. Welcome To LPSG
    Welcome to LPSG.com. If you are here because you are looking for the most amazing open-minded fun-spirited sexy adult community then you have found the right place. We also happen to have some of the sexiest members you'll ever meet. Signup below and come join us.

Kathy griffin's tour

Discussion in 'Politics' started by godard, Jul 24, 2018.

1. godard

godard Expert Member

Kathy Griffin performed in Los Angeles last week--she did a three hour set that detailed the fall-out from the photo she took holding Trump's bloody head. She was essentially blacklisted and harassed by right wing trolls. She also dished a lot of good dirt. Here is a blog that discusses her show from one audience member's perspective:

The First

2. Chrysippus

Chrysippus Superior Member

Albums:
    Just one more reminder: All Griffin did was a comic parody of a common artistic motif of Judith holding the severed head of Holofernes

upload_2018-7-26_15-29-40.jpeg

3. Chrysippus

Albums:
  4. Chrysippus

Albums:
  5. Jjz1109

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The apologist is out. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

6. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    She's performing in my town in September. I will definitely be there.

7. Chrysippus

Albums:
    Yup, I’ m apologist for free speech, under which parody, satire, burlesque, and lampoon are covered by the First Amendment to the Constitution.

Griffin with Trump’s severed head is a parody of Judith and the head of Holofernes: parody: ‘an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect’. And it’s expected that satire/parody challenge convention and ‘good taste’: that’s what makes it powerful free speech. And, the fundy bible-claque sees Judith as heroic for murdering a head of state.

Artists/Satirists have always been persecuted by despots and the powerful, so you’re (far)right at home in Trump’s Amerika. If you need more free speech suppression, move to Russia, Turkey, or Duterte’s Philippines: they like rightbots like yourself there.

sargon20, MisterB and keenobserver like this.
  8. Chrysippus

Albums:
  9. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yet when an elected GOP official prayed for the death of Obama it was just him using his freedom of speech. Same when Nugent talked of the deaths of Hillary and Obama. I guess to the GOP freedom of speech only applies to the people they like.

sargon20 and keenobserver like this.
  10. Chrysippus

Albums:
    GOP freedom osf speech??? Let me laugh!

11. StormfrontFL

Gold Member

Albums:
    First they have to learn what it means.

12. Jjz1109

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Spare us the self righteous indignation. I’m for free speech as well. If Kathy Griffin was emulating what you propose, I may have missed her saying this. Perhaps you can share her reference.

And BTW, Griffin was pretty much universally chastized (aside from her core fan base) by her stunt to save her slumping career, not only by “rightbots” or those at “home in Trump’s Amerika.”

13. Chrysippus

Albums:
    There’s no indignation in my post. ‘Missed her saying this’? Like you looked? ‘Reference?’
    I am not going to explain satirical/artistic provenance and artistic tradition to you.

‘Almost universally chastized?’ As if comedy/art is created with artists fearing how their work will be received...

Nice to see that you relish her slumping career...I may as well rejoice in the prospect of your eventual death and being forgotten for contributing little of note.

StormfrontFL and sargon20 like this.
  14. keenobserver

Gold Member

I guess we could say the double standard is clear - painters and sculptors have been interpreting John the Baptist for centuries with no problem. Of course they were commenting after the fact. From a humor standpoint I was not amused by it, but I did not dwell on it. Move on. That said in the hyper magnified media world we are in little things stick like Velcro. As a performer she made a choice and it blew up - at least for a while. Human slime Ted Nugent went far further in his screeds against Obama. Roseanne lost her tv show, Griffin lost a lot of bookings, Nugent probably won't be doing anything of artistic value for a few more decades. Bill Cosby is going to prison - but Brock Turner slipped out rather quickly.

The list will grow and shrink as we find balance in the swings of the pendulum of media. Hannibal Burris (sp) brought down Bill Cosby but Richard Pryor had pointed it out years earlier. One day it lit up. Disney had the ability to know about James Gunn's jokes on Twitter? Why would they care? Look at who we elected President and the shit that comes out of his mouth. The backlashes are not consistent or fair.

As we sort through and distinguish between criminal and socially inappropriate we're going to see more and more of this. It is easy to apply high standards on line that we don't often do in real life. We're pretty good about pointing out the change we want to see, but not as good at being that change ourselves. Should we even need social media to tell us?

15. sargon20

Gold Member

Yes they’re such snowflakes. Oh wait that’s what we’re suppsoed to be.

16. Jjz1109

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

You’re all over the place man. No one is asking you to explain satirical/artistic provenance or tradition. I asked you to provide where Kathy griffin was making an attempt at this.

Not sure where you got the impression I relish in her deteriorating career. Personally, I could care less. Her stunt was pure PR, and certainly got her the attention she desired, though for the wrong reasons.

As for your apologist behavior, as already stated, the lady doth protest too much, methinks.

17. Chrysippus

Albums:
    ‘All over the place’? Show me how and where you see this or STFU.
    You wrote ‘I asked you to provide where Kathy griffin was making an attempt at this’. No you didn’t. You wrote ‘Perhaps you can share her reference’. She doesn’t have to make a reference as a parodist. If you don’t get it, that’s not her problem.

P,S When you write ‘the lady doth protest too much’, who’s the lady?

18. Jjz1109

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So then she didn’t make this reference. Got it. This was YOUR apologist excuse. And if I don’t get it, then it’s my problem not hers? Dude, I think it is her problem, or was her problem. Just my opinion.

P.S. As for the lady concern, it’s figurative, so you can but your insecurities aside. We’re all big boys here. Well, most of us.

19. Industrialsize

Gold Member

Albums:
    Despite your outrage, Ms. Griffin is doing fine (and she's going to a bunch of red states as well)
    Kathy Griffin Tour Dates

20. Jjz1109

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Guess you just couldn’t not jump in here, eh? Couldn’t contain yourself.

My “outrage?” I will ask you to not put words into my mouth. As stated repeatedly, I could care less about her. Her stunt backfired, andcaused her much grief. The issue being discussed is the apologist behavior here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice