Katie Couric - Is America ready for a female network news anchor?

scanjock8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Today I caught C-Span coverage of a Q&A with Katie Couric and Bob Sheiffer, and wondered how others felt about Couric taking over the anchor chair at CBS. Even though cable and the internet have greatly reduced network news audience share, the role of the network news anchor remains iconic in American culture--symbolic figureheads of powerful network corporate identities that leave nothing to chance.

Barbara Walters, also after leaving the Today show, co-anchored ABC News in the 70s without success, so it will be interesting to observe how audiences react this time around. CBS (historically referred to as The Tiffany Network) certainly had to make some changes after Rather's fall from grace, but can Couric attract the viewers they're looking for? Her huge Today show poularity may not carry over to a hard news format.

Personally, I think she can pull it off and I'm looking forward to a fresh format. I tend to get my news from other sources, but always have my network favorites. After Brokaw I'm still not sold on Williams, so Katie will be getting a fair shot to win me over!

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am not convinced in the overall strength of the format of "evening news" programs any more. There was a time when these shows were a TV viewers best bet to get full, in-depth coverage on the day's news items. This is no longer the case. It's like the newspaper--I subscribe for the coupons more than the content.

I gather most of my news from other sources and well and many things that will be covered on a network program like this will have already been covered on various (affiliated and unaffiliated) cable news networks and internet websites.

I have no reservations about Katie as a skilled anchor--I just wonder if anyone will tune it JUST to see her (or anyone else, for that matter).

We'll see.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She is not the first Are we ready for her ? No! She has the IQ of a fence post And very bias And a puppet for castro and that ilk

Damiaen Michaels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Lex is right, "evening news" programs have gone downhill in the past couple years. Mostly with CNN, MSNBC and the like, but also Peter, Tom, and Dan, the people we (well, I) grew up watching are gone.

In my opinion, I think CBS is going to crash and burn at 5:30pm (6:30pm everywhere else). It is not about her being dumb as a box of rocks (and she is), but we all think of Katie Couric as being a morning news person. Hey, maybe we will all be surprised. Personally, I liked Bob Schieffer, and actually watch him then the station I work for (an NBC station).

My prediction, she will be sitting on a beach somewhere in a years time.

Rock on,

Damiaen

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
My thoughts exactly. I'm all for women doing whatever they're qualified to do, but do we HAVE to pick the dumbest bitches we can find?
Yes! Im one man who thinks its time for a woman president What about Condi Or Hillary? Lets face it all the men are doing is fuckig things up!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
jeff black said:
She has personality and she delivers the news well. I liked her.
Only my opinion Jeff I dont have much faith in the news media anymore I just feel they are all not telling the truth The wealth of information we have now is all too much Either fox news,Msnbc,or anyone else They arent telling the truth! Look at the NewYork Times how many times they have been caught !! They just shut down a huge plant here in New Jersey People are getting smart and not buying it

avg_joe

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She is very charming, and has good personality. NBC's Today Show is a family show, and she was mostly in the friendly environment. But I am worried that if she can go to the front line like Iraq or other war-torn regions when her new job demands her to do so.:confused: