Katrina And Me

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_DoubleMeatWhopper, Aug 28, 2005.

1. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I'd like to thank everyone who has send me PM's expressing concern for my well-being with Hurricane Katrina heading in my direction. Several of you know I don't have a good track record when it comes to hurricanes, and this one is a class 5. But I am not currently in New Orleans. For the school year I am living and teaching about 150 miles inland, so I'll experience nothing more threatening than a little rain and wind. It is nice to know that there are people here who think about me. Thanks again!

2. warmsunshine

warmsunshine New Member

Good luck to ya, DMW. Still, be careful though, as you know hurricanes are known to spin off multiple tornadoes.

Most of my extended family lives in N.O. and it's not a pretty sight (though I think most everyone is outta Dodge at this point).

3. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

Keep us posted D. You are one of the favorites around here. :) The eye center is not the only area that bad shit happens. East of there is more of a problem - hopefully you are west of town if the forecast track is correct.

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Well, blow me down.

Our prayers continue for those in the path of this monster. Those we know and those we don't.

5. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Over the last few years I have fallen in love with NO. That place is complete magic on many, many levels. Wonderful people, beautiful culture, mysterious history and now, an uncertain future.

In fact, we were supposed to be there for Southern Decadence over the Labor Day holiday weekend. Fuck the plane tickets, I'll gladly give those and the trip up, if the spirits would only spare the city, the people and the friends I have made there.

My prayers to everyone there.

DMW, keep us posted on your well being if at all possible.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

Jacinto, I am glad to hear you're not in the direct path. Had I not been moving the last two days, I'd have sent a pm as well. I just got the furniture unloaded (4am here) and saw your post. You know I'll be thinking about you and your family, I hope all will be safe.

7. naughty

Gold Member

Hi,

I think we spoke too soon.Has anyone heard from the DMW or folks in New Orleans, Mobile and other cities that got whammed today? The levy has broken, the pumps are failing and they are expecting 10 more feet of water tonight. . I send up prayers for all of those who are being affected by this disaster. I havent heard from Steve or Caleb in the last few days. Hang in the all of you.

Naughty

8. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

The pictures and stories coming out of that area are making me sick to my stomach. Its awful. This is the worst storm since Andrew...12 years ago. Hope all you guys/gals down there are making out ok. Hugz from DC.

9. ital8

ital8 New Member

I normally don't post, but after seeing the footage on TV I can't help but think that this may be THE worst natural disaster to hit the USA. At first glance, I thought maybe Andrew did more damage, but after seeing the coastal regions of MS being flattened, and the extreme flooding in N.O., I'd have to say that Katrina has Andrew beat. More importantly, I pray that the death toll doesn't rise too high, but I have a gut feeling that it will. I hope all the posters from the Gulf region are safe and sound.

10. warmsunshine

warmsunshine New Member

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but this thing is ridiculous. It's like they didn't have a plan for any of this, even though they knew it could happen forever...then again I'm just too shocked to even muster up any meaningful words to describe it all.

As I said, most of my extended family lives (or lived) in N.O. and right now almost every one that I've been able to get a hold of knows that there is nothing to go back to and aren't planning on going back (at least to live) at all.

At least it seemed with Andrew people could pitch a tent and the land was "liveable". There's absolutely no place to live in the lake that is New Orleans right now.

And it's like they've "given up" at this point and not only are they not trying to repair the levees anymore, now the pumps are failing. If they give up, officials are literally consigning thousands of people to death if the water rises another 9-15 feet like they say it will. And there's no way to even warn the people still trapped that this will be happening

11. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    wss, let me say this from an engineer's perspective. Do you know how much effort it takes to keep a city that sits below sea level next to the largest river on a continenet and directly on the ocean dry? They had planned for this, and hurricanes of smaller magnitude may have been able to have been dealt with. I'll admit that I don't know the specifics, but it would have taken millions upon millions of dollars to hold back the force of a Category 4 let alone a Category 5 hurricane, and maybe the city just didn't want to pay the money for it and the citizens never thought it would happen, but it has and now they have to deal with it as harsh as that sounds.

One other note, no matter where a hurricane of that strength hits, horrible things will happen. There is almost no way to avoid it, and that fact should be considered.

Next, I'm sure the officials are doing everything they can to evacuate people from the area, but since there are so many people who did not originally evacuate; it has to be a near impossible task to complete. The city is not only flooded, but its clogged with debris, oil, chemicals, sewage, etc. There can't be many visible landmarks to go by in large portions of the city for rescuers to even remember where they've been before.

Overall, all we can do is just hope that the water level does not rise, and that the people remaining can be rescued.

Also, I know this is a tangent, but I see the rebuilding of New Orleans being one of the greatest undertakings of this part of the century for our country. The city will likely not be abandoned, but doggedly reborn through stiff determination.

12. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    Back on topic, it's great to hear that you'll be mostly out of harms way over there, but keep us posted anyway.

13. KinkGuy

Gold Member

So, in your infinite wisdom, just how do we prepare for the worst disaster in US history?

"Given up"? That is shallow of you, the catastrophe is overwhelming beyond thought or the ability to adjust or repair or prevent, much less recover from.

I absolutely, CAN NOT believe how callous, unfeeling and shallow you sound. Just what would you have done differently? NOT approve the $14 billion Louisiana has been trying for the last several years, to get the Federal government to spend on a new levy system, which would have prevented this? Less than what we spend in Iraq every 14 days, would have saved untold numbers of human lives, and billions upon billions in total dollar losses.

One of the jewels of America has been destroyed. It IS the worst storm, natural disaster to EVER hit this country.

14. KinkGuy

Gold Member

And YES, I am f'n pissed off.
    And YES, I DO NOT CARE who I offend at this point.
    And YES, I will regret this in the morning. Maybe. Maybe not.

15. titan1968

titan1968 Active Member

Albums:
    Glad to hear that you are high and dry and out of harm's way DMW.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the ones who were not as lucky.

P.S.: We are only supposed to get heavy rains tonight and
    tomorrow in Eastern Canada.

:grouphug: Titan1968

16. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Anyone heard from DMW since Sunday, the 28th?

17. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

I think he was online last night.

18. KinkGuy

Gold Member

I think he was online last night.
    [post=339418]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Good.

19. warmsunshine

warmsunshine New Member

Oh, to go last to first, I know they have to deal with it. They don't have a choice. The thing that seems to me is what happened is that they SHOULD have had some sort of plan in case one or more levees failed. And the fact that they did fail (but not directly from the hurricane, I don't think...), the pumps failed AND they didn't do anything about it for almost 20 hours is sheer malfeasance. It's not like New Orleans hasn't had it's share of experience with hurricanes before. Even powerful ones like this one.

I'm not an engineer (and I don't even play one on TV), but there are plenty of people who have had decades to do something about this and plan for contingencies and worse-case scenarios and if this is the best they've come up with, someone needs to be freakin' hanged. That's all I'm saying.

Whoah bud. I'm on your side. I'm expressing MY frustration and anger towards everyone who contributed to this fucking mess. I don't think that it's coincidence that the first levee to break was in the poorest section of town where they hadn't gotten to improving the system. As for what I would have done differently. I don't know as I don't have all of the information that the officials certainly did (and who obviously didn't do anything with it). I can, however judge what officials did do by the outcomes of their actions and I can say that I feel it's been woefully inadequate.

At this point, the officials THEMSELVES say they have given up trying to repair the 17th Street canal levee and the pumps are all failing. It is a fact that by doing so they are signing people's death warrents. I'm not saying that they don't care (far from it), and aren't trying to do what they can, but to my eyes (from watching every freakin' news channel on tv and internet for the past 48 hours) it seems hugely unorganized and chaotic.

How many more people would be helped if so many Nat'l Guardsmen were not in Iraq with equipment, manpower and resources?

Side note: Did anyone else see Tucker Carlson's piece about the police officer who was participating in the looting in New Orleans? Arrrrrrgh! As if we didn't have enough problems.

20. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

I'm fine. I'm northwest of New Orleans, and Hurricane Katrina headed northeast toward the Appalachians, no I wasn't in the path of the storm. We're experiencing a lot of rain and wind from Katrina, and a few short-lived tornadoes in the aftermath, but no real damage.

Now onto New Orleans: Luckily, my brother made it out of New Orleans safely during the evacuation and is currently waiting it out in Shreveport. People say that this was the worse hurricane since Andrew? Try again: it was worse than Andrew or Camille. When Katrina made landfall, the winds were 145 mi/hr. Do you have any idea what that's like? Hurricane Lili destroyed my house in New Orleans with winds under 80 mi/hr. 10,000 residents who didn't leave the city are in the Superdome for refuge, and the winds have ripped parts of the roof from that structure. The French Quarter is under water. Over a million people are without electricity or phone service. They are cut off from anyone outside. The one bright spot is that the eye of the storm missed New Orleans itself: it moved to the east toward Mississippi instead. Still, the devastation is staggering. Southern Decadence was supposed to begin on Labor Day weekend: there's an estimated $100 million dollars in tourist revenue that's not going happen. But New Orleans will survive. After a period of people wandering around dazed and mourning their losses, they will get pissed off and start rebuilding. That's how New Orleans people are. Trust me: I know them. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Draft saved Draft deleted