Katrina And Me

PonyPete

Experimental Member
Media
An undisclosed location in central Louisiana
Originally posted by Ineligible@Sep 1 2005, 02:40 AM
I'm saddened to hear PonyPete's family has lost a house

It's not my family's house. It was my off-campus apartment. This is . . . or was to be . . . my first year in college. Luckily I'm now safe at my parents' house which is not in New Orleans.

I think Houston, Dallas and San Antonio deserve big "Thank you's" for taking in thousands of refugees from New Orleans.

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Update Thursday night:

Of course it's probably redundant to recount again the misery and hardship people continue to have to endure while they wait on help in evactuating the city.

The Mayor issued an "SOS" and said that there aren't enough buses to evacuate the city and told people to start walking across the bridge west or across the river (a journey of many miles), but then the military stopped them with shotguns and told them they couldn't go across the bridge.

Vast reports of rapes and murder and beatings abound.

More than 100 people in St. Benard Parish (the site of the first levee breach) died today from lack of food and water. No one has supplied the parish with anything as of 4 pm Thursday, the sheriff said, even though he had been continually promised supplies.

Louisiana has activated it's Emergency Food Stamp Program to try to help people out in distress.

Blanco requested more Nat'l Guard troops (from Ark) armed with M18's (?) to help restore law and order. Blanco also issued a strongly worded admonishment to and demanded an IMMEDIATE apology from Speaker Dennis Hastert for his earlier comments that rebuilding N.O. doesn't make any sense. I saw it live and she was PISSED! Compare it to the statement from Sen. Landrieu:

"While I disagree strongly with Speaker Hastert's comments regarding the city of New Orleans, he raises a debate that we can address at some time in the future. Right now, however, we have important work to do. I encourage Speaker Hastert and our colleagues to focus time and attention today and tomorrow on providing Louisiana with the local, state and federal security resources necessary to support Governor Blanco's efforts to stabilize this very challenging situation.

"When we do discuss the long-term rebuilding of New Orleans and the parishes of St. Tammany, Plaquemines, St. Bernard and Jefferson, I will do everything I can to express that southeast Louisiana is filled with the most extraordinary of people and blessed with the most extraordinary of resources. Not only are they worth saving, but they are worth every penny of a complete rebuilding effort.

"I thank Speaker Hastert for his concern and look forward to speaking with him in person as soon as we are able."

Various reports that Police Officers are abandoning their jobs. Numbers range from 20% in one dept to almost 50% in others.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can only hope and pray, that there is a very special hell for people like Hastert and the bush administration. How in the name of all that is humane (or holy if you must) start fighting the cost of rebuilding NO at this time? For fuck's sake, those very same assholes haven't even been able to coordinate a rescue effort. They are already fighting the rebuilding and they can't even get drinking water to the victims.

I wonder how different this would have all been had a similar disaster hit Washington D.C.?

This is the complete and utter, total breakdown of our Government.

We have NO leadership. We have NO one who gives a flying fuck.

Shame doesn't begin to describe how this country should be feeling.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
JUST THIS MINUTE, I heard a news report on ABC News that busses pulling up to the Houston Astrodome, are being turned away. Because the Astrodome is full.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS GOING ON!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Tonight MSNBC was reporting that the best case scenario is to drain the water out of New Orleans within a month. After that they can begin to assess infrastructure damage.

Scary thought: until it's completely drained, they won't know how much of the electrical and water grid is left. It's possible that almost none of it will be. If that's the case, New Orleans won't be inhabitable for months, just from lack of water and power alone. It's as if civilization ended there and it's been returned to the swamp.

Speculation by me: what is the long term effect of wood-frame buildings being submerged for a long period of time? It seems like many of these buildings (especially houses) will just have to be torn down. Between the wood decomposing and the foundation settling into already soft soil, my guess is that a huge number of homes won't be inhabitable ever again. If all of that is true, (big if) then the callousness of Hastert is not his suggestion that New Orleans can't be rebuilt; it's the fact that he said it so soon. It may be that we're just seeing the low point of this whole disaster right now, but it is not unreasonable to think that it could be years before it's a major city again.

What we're seeing may be unprecedented in modern times: a natural disaster that wipes out an entire major modern city.

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
JUST THIS MINUTE, I heard a news report on ABC News that busses pulling up to the Houston Astrodome, are being turned away. Because the Astrodome is full.
Actually this is not too surprising for me. As the first bus unexpectedly came to Houston last night (it turned out to be a "renegade" and not part of the Superdome caravan) they stated that they hadn't finished setting everything up, but this morning's reports all stated that the Astrodome had only set up about 10-11,000 cots so it looked like many people would be sleeping on the floor.

Of course the Astrodome seats many more than 11,000 people, but that is only in the seats and I suppose officials didn't want to have a repeat of the Superdome fracus, just trying to squeeze as many people as would fit into the place. They have pretty heavy security for the facility and are patting down everyone who enters the place* but even with those precautions, there were still fights there today and several people have already been arrested.

Texas relief officials assured the people that they were being sent to alternate facilities within Texas that would be able to host them:
After accepting more than 11,000 Hurricane Katrina refugees, officials said the Astrodome was full and began sending buses to other shelters in the Houston area Thursday night.

"We've actually reached capacity for the safety and comfort of the people inside there," American Red Cross spokeswoman Dana Allen said. She said people were "packed pretty tight" on the floor of the Astrodome.

Buses that continued to arrive were being sent on to other shelters in the area and as far away as Huntsville, about an hour north of Houston.

"We're asking that people be patient. Ultimately they are going to be comfortable," Allen said.

The total of 11,375 inside the Astrodome was less than half the estimated 23,000 people who were expected to arrive by bus from New Orleans in Houston.

I REALLY hope and pray that the busloads of people don't become as wanted as the "Garbage Scow" from New York quite a few years ago if anyone remembers (NOT that I am comparing people to garbage...it's just that no one wanted the stuff). I'm so afraid that as communities recognize the enormity of the task of having to shelter more than 500,000 people, they will be less inclined to do so. Already the population of Baton Rouge is expected to double and the mayor provoked an outrage among refugees when he made statements that were less than welcoming.

On a good note, Texas is allowing people to register their kids in their school system, college students can enroll in their universities for low in-state tuition and people can sign up for food stamps and assistance. On the down side, in general the Texas public school system SUCK (but maybe not as bad as Orleans Parish school system, so they might catch a break on that score now that I think about it) and their assistance programs are among the lowest in the nation, I think.

Also, there are many reports that the crowds in front of the Civic Center and Superdome aren't the vast majority of people needing to evacuate the city. Many people are holed up in abandoned apt. bldgs trying to hide from the looters and gangs and don't know how they are going to get out. There was a report on CNN as well as NPR about these people.

*Although people are getting searched, they are free to come and go as they please, so I don't really see how they are going to keep up security unless they search EVERY person EVERY time they come into the building. Seems like a logistical nightmare to me. Some type of semi-permanent housing is going to have to be arranged. N.O. honestly isn't going to be habitable for 4-6 months (no matter what they are saying).

EDITED TO ADD:

Speculation by me: what is the long term effect of wood-frame buildings being submerged for a long period of time? It seems like many of these buildings (especially houses) will just have to be torn down.
I am resigned at this point that all of the homes of my extended family will be torn down at some point in the near future and I will never see them again. They will only exist in my memory and some pictures. Maybe if the levees hadn't broken. Maybe if they hadn't sat underwater for so long things might have been salvagable. But with the sewage and toxic chemicals and rot having done their work, they will never be habitable again. At this point I just wonder how much $$ anyone will be able to get for them. Not a good situation.

My fear is that some rich developer will be able (with the vast governmental corruption that exists) to buy vast tracts of land for pennies on the dollar and build luxury condos on all the land that used to belong to poor and working class minorities. It's happened before in Louisiana so it's not unimaginable that it would happen again.

blackwood

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Aug 29 2005, 12:18 AM
I'd like to thank everyone who has send me PM's expressing concern for my well-being with Hurricane Katrina heading in my direction. Several of you know I don't have a good track record when it comes to hurricanes, and this one is a class 5. But I am not currently in New Orleans. For the school year I am living and teaching about 150 miles inland, so I'll experience nothing more threatening than a little rain and wind. It is nice to know that there are people here who think about me. Thanks again!
[post=338790]Quoted post[/post]​

Always thinking of you DMW..

blackwood

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by KinkGuy
I can only hope and pray, that there is a very special hell for people like Hastert and the bush administration. How in the name of all that is humane (or holy if you must) start fighting the cost of rebuilding NO at this time? For fuck's sake, those very same assholes haven't even been able to coordinate a rescue effort. They are already fighting the rebuilding and they can't even get drinking water to the victims.

I wonder how different this would have all been had a similar disaster hit Washington D.C.?

This is the complete and utter, total breakdown of our Government.

We have NO leadership. We have NO one who gives a flying fuck.

Shame doesn't begin to describe how this country should be feeling.
Good try, but what about every other day of the week when tons of people go hungry and homeless? No one seemed to mind then.

tracksuitboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This must sound rather sycophantic but my first thought re Katrina was Jacinto as I remember he mentioneded that he lived in New Orleans. Once again we are shown to be nothing but an insignificant speck of dust as far as Mother Nature is concerned and she'll kick the shit out of us whenever she wants to. My family and friends are horrified by the extent of the damage to the entire Gulf Coast (of course, there is major coverage on the UK TV news); I have no idea how people begin to recover from such devastation but recover you will as, somehow, we always do.

I was so pleased to see your posting confirming your safetly.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by warmsunshine@Sep 2 2005, 12:32 AM
On the down side, in general the Texas public school system SUCK

For what it's worth, the only public school systems that currently rank lower than Louisiana are those of Mississippi and Alabama. Texas isn't in the bottom ten. It's likely to be a step up for most students.

tracksuitboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by curiouscat9@Aug 31 2005, 05:53 PM
Unfortunately, because of 9/11 our country has learned how to respond to disaster more efficiently.
[post=339556]Quoted post[/post]​

It would seem not.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I heard something on either CNN or MSNBC last night that because of the toxcity of the water (due to the amount of sewage, as well as gas and oil in the water) it could easily take up to 10 years for the city to be inhabitable again. That just boggles my mind.

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
For what it's worth, the only public school systems that currently rank lower than Louisiana are those of Mississippi and Alabama. Texas isn't in the bottom ten.
Yes, that's why I stated that Texas would be better than Orleans Parish school system even though it's not too great. I was thinking about the expose that was done by Molly Ivins a few years ago on how Texas "improved" their school system (basically by encouraging kids to quit and not counting underachievers, etc).

Anyways...update on the chaos:

Explosions at a chemical plant across the river. No further info at this point other than thick clouds of choking smoke affecting numerous people. Plant managers say there are no hazardous materials in the plant, so no hazmat teams are necessary.

Mayor was on WWL this morning, spouting curse words and extreme frustration (can you blame him?) at the lack of help. He says that they (higher ups) are "thinking too small" as they are trying to evacuate the city. He needs hundreds and hundreds of buses (I thought I heard something about getting trains as well to start to help transporting people as well) as I personally think that there are probably more than 75,000 people (at least) still in New Orleans.

Think about this, however (and something no one has mentioned thus far). How is anyone realistically going to completely empty the city? The gangs and the people snipering and looting aren't going to leave willingly I don't think. And there is a whole city for them to hide in! The thugs want to take the city over and make it their own. Are electricial and other workers going to want to go into the city (even after the water goes down) if they are subject to these people? I don't know how they solve this particular problem. Shoot to kill? Yikes. It's like some horror novel.

People in Jefferson and surrounding parishes are visibly frightened of what they see as "undesireables" invading their towns and houses. Yesterday I saw police officials saying that they will shoot on sight anyone attempting to come into their town (I'm thinking he might have meant black people). Mostly these stories are coming from Jefferson Parish, which adjoins Orleans Parish.

Oakland Mall has burned to the ground.

N.O. airport lobby has been turned into a triage area for determining which patients must be airlifted to area hospitals.

At least we get the president visiting the devestated areas today. I say we throw him into a Superdome bathroom and lock the door. His comments yesterday about people wanting things done "yesterday" (which would have been 2 days too late) were, to my mind unexcusable and of course Diane Sawyer let him get away with almost everything. I just thought of something. Now this gives him an excuse for the economy going (more) down the toilet. Whenever anyone asks him about the crappy economy from now on, all he has to say is "Katrina".

I agree with people's comments about being tired with the press conferences and glad handing and such. The people of New Orleans can't hear or understand any of it. If it takes them driving a bus or truck or whatever and helping to get people out then do it! People have been sitting on rooftops (!) for 4 days now.

I heard something on either CNN or MSNBC last night that because of the toxcity of the water (due to the amount of sewage, as well as gas and oil in the water) it could easily take up to 10 years for the city to be inhabitable again.
I'm not sure about that. New Orleans isn't known for it's cleanliness in the first place and it's certainly not an agricultural city. Most of the crap is going to be flushed into Lake Pontchatrain and the Gulf of Mexico (yay for the environment, but what else can you do?). After that, I would say that 80% of the buildings and homes that were underwater will have to be bulldozed.

I guess Tom Benson finally gets his new stadium. I think they are going to have to tear the Superdome down.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy+Aug 31 2005, 05:12 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinkGuy &#064; Aug 31 2005, 05:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-warmsunshine@Aug 30 2005, 10:10 PM
I hope I&#39;m not speaking out of turn, but this thing is ridiculous.  It&#39;s like they didn&#39;t have a plan for any of this, even though they knew it could happen forever...then again I&#39;m just too shocked to even muster up any meaningful words to describe it all.

As I said, most of my extended family lives (or lived) in N.O. and right now almost every one that I&#39;ve been able to get a hold of knows that there is nothing to go back to and aren&#39;t planning on going back (at least to live) at all.

At least it seemed with Andrew people could pitch a tent and the land was "liveable".  There&#39;s absolutely no place to live in the lake that is New Orleans right now.

And it&#39;s like they&#39;ve "given up" at this point and not only are they not trying to repair the levees anymore, now the pumps are failing.  If they give up, officials are literally consigning thousands of people to death if the water rises another 9-15 feet like they say it will.  And there&#39;s no way to even warn the people still trapped that this will be happening
[post=339382]Quoted post[/post]​

So, in your infinite wisdom, just how do we prepare for the worst disaster in US history?

"Given up"? That is shallow of you, the catastrophe is overwhelming beyond thought or the ability to adjust or repair or prevent, much less recover from.

I absolutely, CAN NOT believe how callous, unfeeling and shallow you sound. Just what would you have done differently? NOT approve the &#036;14 billion Louisiana has been trying for the last several years, to get the Federal government to spend on a new levy system, which would have prevented this? Less than what we spend in Iraq every 14 days, would have saved untold numbers of human lives, and billions upon billions in total dollar losses.

One of the jewels of America has been destroyed. It IS the worst storm, natural disaster to EVER hit this country.
[post=339404]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

I continue to be appalled by our current administration. Bush vetoed spending that would have at least begun the engineering and construction work that would have saved NOLA from this type of hurricane. We sent billions to Iraq...and vetoed the work that would have saved one of our great cities. (Bush is not alone. The New Orleans problem has been known for generations.) And, of course, we will end up spending the money anyway to deal with the disaster.

I am also appalled by how long it has taken to simply get food and water into the area. Why weren&#39;t thousands of troops there on Monday? People are starving and dying. We seem to be able to mass troops quickly overseas. We need to do it for our own people.

Of course, the saddest thing for Bush is that he had to cut his vacation short.

Sorry about my rantings, but I am so upset with the current state of affairs in America. The New Orleans problem just points out even more how much our country has changed for the worse since the far right has seized control of our governmental institutions. I am sad for everyone in the area. And, having lived there for many years myself, I am sad for the cultural losses. Jacinto, I am glad you are safe, and I pray for everyone in the area.

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Sabln7
Please go to a couple of posts after that and especially KinkGuy&#39;s comments. He apologized already and we&#39;re on the same side. I just don&#39;t want anyone to have the impression that is how he still feels about me&#33;

Interesting note. The President had some brief comments before heading out to the disaster. One thing he referenced was the response being "unacceptable". That is about as close to a HUGE bitchslap to his own staff (FEMA, etc) that Bush will ever give in public.

Quick update: The bus situation is completely FUBAR. Buses are stalled in Houston trying to find other places to house the refugees. Any basic communication with them on their trip to Texas could have alleviated this situation.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by warmsunshine@Sep 2 2005, 01:03 PM
Sabln7
Please go to a couple of posts after that and especially KinkGuy&#39;s comments. He apologized already and we&#39;re on the same side. I just don&#39;t want anyone to have the impression that is how he still feels about me&#33;

Interesting note. The President had some brief comments before heading out to the disaster. One thing he referenced was the response being "unacceptable". That is about as close to a HUGE bitchslap to his own staff (Joe M. Allbaugh, FEMA director) that Bush will ever give in public.
[post=340099]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, I just read all of those comments. My comments were for our government and its leaders, not for you. I have read the rest of your comments and see that we are on the same side. I am just so distressed by so much.....Iraq, New Orleans, gas prices, reallignment of wealth in this country, corporate profits zooming while poor people have salaries and benefits reduced and their taxes raised, a growing lack of tolerance for minorities etc. etc. etc. This is not the America that I knew for most of my life. We need to vote out EVERY incumbent, regardless of political party, in the next elections.

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Holy Crap. Guess I was wrong about the government evacuating the tourists first&#33;

First the federal government took the buses they had hired to evacuate them.

Then their hotels turned them out onto the desolate streets.

They trudged for blocks to walk over a bridge, but officers wouldn&#39;t let them cross -- and fired a few warning shots over their heads to convince them.

And the night was coming down.

Despairing, dozens of trapped tourists huddled on a downtown street corner and waited for dark.

"I grew up in an upper-middle class family. Street life is foreign to me," said Larry Mitzel, 53, of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. "I&#39;m not sure I&#39;m going to get out of here alive."

The fate of tourists in dozens of hotels here was caught up in the days of chaos and confusion that came after Hurricane Katrina&#39;s 145 mph winds.

Many smaller hotels shut down. The largest housed hundreds and hundreds of guests and took in refugees from the storm. How many remained Thursday was unclear.

Tourists and hotel managers alike condemned government officials for ignoring them.

"The tourists are an afterthought here," said Bill Hedrick of Houston, who came to town on business and was trapped with his wife and elderly mother-in-law.

"We&#39;re appalled," said Jill Johnson, 53, of Saskatoon. "This city is built on tourism and we&#39;re their last priority."

Peter Ambros, general manager of the Astor Crowne Plaza in the French Quarter, said, "Guests who bring business to the hotels are treated 10 times worse than the people at the Superdome."
Courtesy of WWLTV&#39;s blog at WWLTV

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
On another note: A woman I work with has a sister who abandoned Biloxi and is farther north with her family. They have used all of their money. They have credit cards. Yesterday, their hotel informed them that starting today, they would have to pay &#036;500 per room. They had no choice, but charged the &#036;500 with hope that anti-gouging laws will help them recover it later. However, they are going to run out of room on their card by this weekend, and they have no money...It is all gone. What a mess.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Sabln7@Sep 2 2005, 01:35 PM
On another note: A woman I work with has a sister who abandoned Biloxi and is farther north with her family. They have used all of their money. They have credit cards. Yesterday, their hotel informed them that starting today, they would have to pay &#036;500 per room. They had no choice, but charged the &#036;500 with hope that anti-gouging laws will help them recover it later. However, they are going to run out of room on their card by this weekend, and they have no money...It is all gone. What a mess.
[post=340104]Quoted post[/post]​

That is &#036;500 per night....