Katrina And Me

warmsunshine

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Yesterday, their hotel informed them that starting today, they would have to pay $500 per room. They had no choice, but charged the $500 with hope that anti-gouging laws will help them recover it later. However, they are going to run out of room on their card by this weekend, and they have no money..
Ouch. They could rent an apt for a couple of months for that amount of money, couldn't they?

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Originally posted by aloofman+Sep 2 2005, 01:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aloofman &#064; Sep 2 2005, 01:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Speculation by me: what is the long term effect of wood-frame buildings being submerged for a long period of time? It seems like many of these buildings (especially houses) will just have to be torn down. Between the wood decomposing and the foundation settling into already soft soil, my guess is that a huge number of homes won&#39;t be inhabitable ever again.
[post=340055]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

I have heard from knowledgeable sources that any wood-frame building that has been waterlogged for days (as most of New Orleans has been) will need to be torn down to avoid becoming a permanent "mold factory." It is looking more and more like the rebuilding of New Orleans, to the extent it occurs, will be more or less from scratch.

<!--QuoteBegin-prepstudinsc
@Sep 2 2005, 07:30 AM
I heard something on either CNN or MSNBC last night that because of the toxcity of the water (due to the amount of sewage, as well as gas and oil in the water) it could easily take up to 10 years for the city to be inhabitable again. That just boggles my mind.
[post=340085]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]
In addition to the gas, oil, sewage, and dead creatures of all types, untold millions of gallons of household cleaners, dry cleaning fluid, bleach, turpentine, kerosene, benzene, and other chemical waste unleashed by the flooding have been poured into that watery mess. Even after the floodwaters are pumped out, this toxic silt will remain.

It&#39;s nearly impossible to see a city of the same scope rising on that site again. Certainly there needs to be *something* there because it is the port at the mouth of the Mississippi River and services the oil industry, but I suspect that a very large part of the city&#39;s former population will simply choose not to return. The things that once attracted so many people to live there -- the city&#39;s charm and history and easygoing nature -- are ineffable qualities that I do not think will survive this catastrophe, let alone be enough to lure people back in the face of its great geographic vulnerability.

Steve

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by warmsunshine@Sep 2 2005, 03:01 PM
Yesterday, their hotel informed them that starting today, they would have to pay &#036;500 per room. They had no choice, but charged the &#036;500 with hope that anti-gouging laws will help them recover it later. However, they are going to run out of room on their card by this weekend, and they have no money..
Ouch. They could rent an apt for a couple of months for that amount of money, couldn&#39;t they?
[post=340120]Quoted post[/post]​

I asked the person in my office today how this was going, and she stated that this happened in Houston. The original night in the room was &#036;79.00. They have found another place today, but they were gouged yesterday.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I made my comments in # 24 under "Rebuilding New Orleans" so I won&#39;t repeat them here again except to say King Guy and others are on target about this whole thing.

Bush screwed up in taking care of America and should be impeached. Read my thoughts on that thread.

I put condensed them into 10 short comments. Unusual for me.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Some say the Lord works in mysterious ways -

5:01 P.M. - (AP) OPELOUSAS, La. One Hurricane Katrina refugee died and many others were injured when a bus carrying them west from the Superdome in New Orleans overturned and rolled across a highway median. At least 10 people were taken to hospitals, several critically injured, The Daily World of Opelousas reported on its Web site.

I&#39;d have to call this downright sadistic.

viking

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Jacinto

I just got back from Burning man and am glad to hear that you and your family are OK.
We got wind of what was happening while in the desert and I thought of you immediately.

Steve

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think the Hurricane Katrina should be a wakeup call for americans personally and politically.

First off, Bush showd his total Incompetence to do the job right.
He should be impeached, Period. Get rid of the SOB before other tragedies happen. How much more damage is america going to undergo with his greedy ways?

Secondly, The Governmental agencies Local and National saw this storm coming for at least a week ahead of time.
Why Weren&#39;t troops sent in with reinforcements, sand bags, water, supplies?
Where&#39;s the troops for protection?
This was Crystal Clear Proof on how Poorly americans stick together, and how shabbily and loosely our country is run. These governmental agencies should be overturned with new people, as its obvious the current staff cannot plan properly.

Thirdly, The Transportation companies of New Orleans and surrounding areas should be forced to pay damages due to CHARGING PEOPLE TO GET ON THE BUS DURING AN EVACUATION. They should be sued, and permanently put out of business.

Fourthly, I heard stories of how the Engineers of the Levy were being accused of poor design.
How twisted is this. No Structure, building, or bridge is Indestructable.
You can only design something within financial Means.
Cubic dollars will buy you anything, but how much is a state willing to pay?

Fifth.... Many of these homes were run down, low income, half falling down ghetto.
If the residents of these downtown areas think that they&#39;re going to get a mansion from insurance money - they should be firmly corrected.
You get what you pay into the system. If your TAKING from the system, you dont get squat. It&#39;s Life. Learn to work like the rest of us.

Sixth, The residence knew this was coming. Where&#39;s their local law enforcement evacuation plans? Apparently non existent.
Move out of the Bowl. If you want to re-create new orleans, keep it business only. If you build a home there, then your going to have to have flood insurance, and know the risk that you DO live in a bowl.

Seventh, never, EVER rely on Law enforcement in an emergency. They THINK they have the right ideas, but they too are clueless.

Lastly... Disasters can happen anywhere, anytime. The real test of life is survival in a disaster like this.
The description of men now being "Metrosexuals" makes me want to puke. I refer to them as BOYS. They cant provide for themselves, or their families as they have no common sense how real world survival takes place.
No, your &#036;80K Mercedees didn&#39;t get you any further in this hurricane...now did it..

Ive said it before, and this just re-inforces my point.
People NEED to learn how to support themselves, their families, and have a PLAN if something happens. Canned goods, batteries, dried foods, vacuum packed matches and candles...etc etc.
Doesnt ANYONE EVER READ FOXFIRE books????
Good God. People...wake up&#33;&#33;
:argh:

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I am blown away by the fact that ALL of the top jobs in FEMA are held by political appointees who have NO experience in disaster management. Oh wait, the head of FEMA has experience screwing up the records of the Arabian Horse Judges Association....so I guess being a screw-up counts; you know, it is hands on experience.

It is hard to believe that there are so few Bible-toting, Roberston-quoting Republicans with the brains and experience to lead a critical agency. On the otherhand, this may confirm my bias that the Rove Republicans are brainless.

Sorry for the rant, but I am really angry. FEMA incompetence is unexcusable. Leadership is needed during disaster and recovery. Leadership is more than shaking hands and hugging; it requires a basic understanding of the multiplicities of problems that each disaster brings. The lives of fellow citizens are too important to be left to the incompetence of political appointees. I think the time has come to make FEMA an independent agency - like the Federal Reserve or the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and the agency would be staffed from top to bottom with professionals. People who know how to write and manage contracts, monitor work of contractors, interface with local governments and agencies, provide Congress with relatively unbiased assessments of infastructure needs [like levee improvements], and all the other tasks related to disaster relief and rebuilding as well as planning to prevent or minimize the next crisis.

Why an independent agency? Let&#39;s get rid of politics in this crucial area where American lives are at risk. With the a continuation of the current system, it is likely that the Democrats or Greens may in the future demonstrate the same incompetence in their political appointees.

Finally, Mr. President, I do not feel safer now than on 9-12-01. Your administration and the Congress have done an outstandingly bad job with homeland security.

jay

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Rikter8@Sep 7 2005, 03:04 PM
I think the Hurricane Katrina should be a wakeup call for americans personally and politically.

I seriously doubt that it will be. An incredibly high number of people have staked out for or against positions on Bush and nothing seems to change their minds. If the administration&#39;s incompetence didn&#39;t wake people up after 9/11, or Iraq, or the 2004 election, then they probably won&#39;t suddenly won&#39;t have an epiphany.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by jay_too@Sep 9 2005, 02:17 AM
Well, I am blown away by the fact that ALL of the top jobs in FEMA are held by political appointees who have NO experience in disaster management.

It is hard to believe that there are so few Bible-toting, Roberston-quoting Republicans with the brains and experience to lead a critical agency. On the otherhand, this may confirm my bias that the Rove Republicans are brainless.

[post=341652]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, the GOP has been proclaiming for decades that government, especially the federal government, is incompetent and untrustworthy. Sadly, the Katrina episode has shown they&#39;ve gone a long way toward demonstrating this to be true.

So quit yer beefin&#39; and pull yourself up by your own bootstraps. You got your tax cuts. Remember?

SG

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by aloofman+Sep 8 2005, 09:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aloofman &#064; Sep 8 2005, 09:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Rikter8@Sep 7 2005, 03:04 PM

I seriously doubt that it will be. An incredibly high number of people have staked out for or against positions on Bush and nothing seems to change their minds. If the administration&#39;s incompetence didn&#39;t wake people up after 9/11, or Iraq, or the 2004 election, then they probably won&#39;t suddenly won&#39;t have an epiphany.
[post=341656]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Sadly, I fear you are probably correct. If everyone liked this 8 year reign (on top of the 4 glorious years of bush sr.), how does "President jeb bush" sound to everyone? You think I&#39;m kidding?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by KinkGuy+Sep 9 2005, 12:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinkGuy &#064; Sep 9 2005, 12:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by aloofman@Sep 8 2005, 09:01 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Rikter8
@Sep 7 2005, 03:04 PM

[post=341656]Quoted post[/post]​

Sadly, I fear you are probably correct. If everyone liked this 8 year reign (on top of the 4 glorious years of bush sr.), how does "President jeb bush" sound to everyone? You think I&#39;m kidding?
[post=341695]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Kink, NO, NO NO President Jeb Bush. Just the thought of it makes me want some Zanax to get some relief from extreme anxiety at the thought of 11 more years of Bushes. But then again, Jeb couldn&#39;t possiblly be worse than our George.

The least Goerge could do is show some real compassion which he has yet to demontrate through this whole Katrina disaster. And he sends his Vice President to tour the city. Why wasn&#39;t his ass down there touring the city giving hope to the citizens of New Orleans?

I&#39;ve never been this pissed at an American offical ever. I don&#39;t even use that word except in etreme siutations. This one qualifies.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by warmsunshine+Aug 31 2005, 03:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(warmsunshine &#064; Aug 31 2005, 03:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hung Muscle@Aug 31 2005, 08:44 PM
I haven&#39;t been watching CNN, but isn&#39;t it about time for that moron Pat Robertson to pop out of his shithole and blame Katrina on the gays and other debauched folk?
[post=339628]Quoted post[/post]​
Well...it&#39;s not Pat Robertson but will this do?

Gays responsible for devestation to New Orleans
But what about the other cities? I suppose they were just unfortunate innocent bystanders in God&#39;s wrath, right? Sheesh.

[post=339635]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

This is beautiful.

It would be interesting for a reporter to ask George Bush what he thinks of those comments. Does he believe that Katrina was God&#39;s wrath on New Orleans, the modern-day Sodom?

Couldn&#39;t the same reasoning be applied by people who believe that Katrina was really God&#39;s wrath at red states that helped put George Bush in the White House a second time? Why single out the gays; let&#39;s give everyone a fair share of God&#39;s wrath...

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
From today&#39;s Washington Post:

"Five of eight top Federal Emergency Management Agency officials came to their posts with virtually no experience in handling disasters and now lead an agency whose ranks of seasoned crisis managers have thinned dramatically since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

FEMA&#39;s top three leaders -- Director Michael D. Brown, Chief of Staff Patrick J. Rhode and Deputy Chief of Staff Brooks D. Altshuler -- arrived with ties to President Bush&#39;s 2000 campaign or to the White House advance operation, according to the agency. Two other senior operational jobs are filled by a former Republican lieutenant governor of Nebraska and a U.S. Chamber of Commerce official who was once a political operative."

Is it any wonder that that FEMA is not up to the task? Why not give them the Medal of Freedom? I think that has become the symbol of a job poorly done...think FBI Director Freize.

jay