Keeping my face cleanshaven

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Vezzam, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Vezzam

Vezzam New Member

Albums:
    It really sucks to have to do.
    When I first started shaving, I had no problems but for the past year, I've been breaking out very badly about 24 hours after shaving. I think it's ingrown hairs after looking into it, cause my acne medication doesn't do much for it. Same happens when I trim downstairs.
    I've read that I need a good exfoliator and moisturizer to use before/after shaving, respectively, but I'm not sure what to try.
    Can anybody help me out with any personal experiences or knowledge?
    Thanks,
    Zach

2. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Shave with the grain and always use sharp blades, even if it means using two heads/disposables, so that you don't end up going over the same spot too often--which takes the top layer of your skin off and this later causes drying and irritation.

If you think that you might be hypersensitive to the shaving cream, try soap or other brands. I used to shave with mug soap and a brush.

My best shaves come from a thick gel cream and single-blade disposable razors.

#2 D_Tintagel_Demondong, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. leenyc97

leenyc97 Member

Albums:
    what is your budget? You can go to a dept store like Saks, Niemans or Bergdorfs and buy Erno Lazslo. A soap, appropriate for your skin type, along with an astringent and moisturizer will take care of it in a couple of days.

Or you can go to a drug store and get a good face cleasnser, some witch hazel and a light moisturizer. Avoid scented products.

Make sure you prep your face well, splash lots of very warm water to rinse off the soap that you have just washed with. Apply the shaving cream, let it soften your beard for a minute or so before you begin. After the shave wipe your face down with the astringent on a cotton ball. Apply a little bit of moisturizer if you feel you need it (does your face feel tight or dry).

4. D_Rawkesbye Deadheade

While shaving seems a mundane and straightforward activity it actually isn't. There's a lot more to shaving than applying foam and scraping your face with a razor.

Check out these pages... they're just a few of the variety of tips and tricks available on the internet.

How To Wet Shave (Beauty & Style: Shaving)
    How To Prevent Razor Burn | The Art of Manliness

Shaving can be a sophisticated and rewarding ritual if you're willing to invest some time and money in it. Such investment could really transform your shaving experience and the result.

5. Kayden96

Kayden96 New Member

I get pimples on my throat when I shave, but nowhere else. Well... I can't see my ass crack, but I don't feel them there.

6. CALAMBO

Gold Member

Albums:
    hey guys.....try one of the 5 blade one's....by i think, SHICK...they have a vibration model....yes they are like 15 bucks....and blades are a bit pricey.....but man oh man....clean quick easy on skin....and unless you have a real heavy beard....my blade lasts for a month.......I highly recommend them.

7. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have very bad sensitive skin, and I have very curly hair. So I shave during a shower with hot to warm water and wet my face liberally before I shave with a no fog mirror and gel or barbasol cream.

8. STYLYUNG

STYLYUNG New Member

Gillette calls their five blade vibrating razor FUSIAN. Great on the face and on the pubes. It is about $15.00 also. Yes, the replacement blades are pricey, but that smooth shave is worth it. I found mine at the super market in the shaving supplies area.

9. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Always shave after you shower as the bristles are softer. Also try using hair conditioner instead of shaving foam/gel. Paul and I both use it and it's great to shave with. :wink: If you have sensitive skin (sounds like you have) use a very mild/gentle conditioner and deep cleanse afterwards as it can block the pores.

10. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I shave with a LASER 3 times a year and only experience occasional bumps in my cash flow position.

11. southernstud

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've noticed something similar, but I think it's a combination acne, hormones, and also a physical adaptation to shaving that the body just has to get accustomed to shaving on the regular. Plus, what all medications have you tried, there is a lot of stuff out there, and you are never to old to start breaking out.

12. Vezzam

Vezzam New Member

Albums:
    Well I used to have fairly bad acne, but it cleared up after about a year, but I still had random blemishes pop up daily afterwards and I visited the dermatologist who gave me some medicated facial care stuff and some antibiotics to use that would kill bacteria cause I told her about my breakouts after shaving. I visted again after my supply ran out because it didn't fully work and I still had annoying blemishes. She gave me a system called Alyria which works okay but I of course still have some light acne.
    Anyways, I had found that, "how to wet shave," video and the other shaving video (How to avoid razor burn/ingrown hairs or something to that effect) on Videojug and followed their advice.
    I took a nice hot shower, got out, washed my face, rinsed it well still using warm water so my facial hair was soft, and just shaved with water. It seems to have worked quite well, as I've only had one or two whitehead/ingrown hair infection things pop up :D
    I didn't shave very close, but it should get the job done. I'll try using conditioner as a lubricant next time.
    Thanks for the advice and help people!
    Zach

Draft saved Draft deleted