Keith Oberman Suspended

MichiganRico

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Maybe Keith and David Shuster can meet up somewhere for drinks and a game of pool at about 8 PM tonite. (And I'm signing the reinstatement petition...so should you.)

Last edited:

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Petition what? He broke the rules... Rules that have been applied to basically all journalists for decades.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't get fired... I don't want him to get fired, it's the principle of the thing.

If he gets fired from MSNBC, you can at least be certain that he won't go to Faux.
On a side note, however, the replacement host for this evening's episode is drop dead gorgeous!

lgej

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe Keith and David Shuster can meet up somewhere for drinks and a game of pool at about 8 PM tonite. (And I'm signing the reinstatement petition...so should you.)

Petition signed. I disagree with a great deal of Keith's rhetoric; but, I find him provocative, interesting, intelligent, informative and entertaining. Schuster? Fuck him. He's a tool.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't stand Olbermann, but for him to be suspended for this just shows he made a pretty stupid decision. Oh, well.

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Interesting development on this story. Scarborough did the same thing a few years ago:
Joe Scarborough, host of the "Morning Joe" talk show and the evening newscast "Scarborough Country," $4,200 in March 2006 to Derrick Kitts, Republican candidate for the House from Oregon. ... A spokesperson for NBC, Jeremy Gaines, replied to questions sent to Scarborough. "Yes, he did make a donation to Derrick Kitts. Kitts is an old friend of Joe's. Joe hosts an opinion program and is not a news reporter." - Daily Kos: State of the Nation

According to an article on the NY-T (which I'm looking for online), Joe got permission to do so from the parent company and they agreed. However, this does provide a rather interesting turn of events. Perhaps Olbermann is trying to make a point and doesn't have a problem sacrificing his position in order to do so?

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
Actually, Keith Olbermann was suspended not simply for making political contributions.

Keith was suspended for not informing MSNBC management that he made political contributions.

Because of conflict of interest rules, like payola and plugola, lots of broadcasters have to declare anything that might be a financial conflict of interest ... like an outside business, or freelance work of some sort, or ... political contributions.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I signed the petition. Olbermann didn't break any rules either. MSNBC has no rules about people financially supporting candidates.

It is Keith Olbermann's own money NOT MSNBC's.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In all honesty, however, I doubt that Keith Olbermann will be off MSNBC for good. He's still has one of the top rated programs on the network. If he does leave, then he'd be ripe for the pickings for a different network and a program that gets even more direct. Hell, I could see him on a cable network with a show similar to Real Time.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
In all honesty, however, I doubt that Keith Olbermann will be off MSNBC for good. He's still has one of the top rated programs on the network. If he does leave, then he'd be ripe for the pickings for a different network and a program that gets even more direct. Hell, I could see him on a cable network with a show similar to Real Time.

I think you're right that, ultimately, they don't want to get rid of him. If you watch MSNBC a bunch ... and carefully ... you can see that they have some talent management issues. Keith is probably part of that. They want to bring him down a couple of notches in the scheme of things, inside MSNBC, so that they have more control over the whole crew of talent they have.