Keith Olbermann - Health Care Special Comment

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Surprised that nobody has even started a thread about this yet.
Countdown featured an hour long "Special Comment" regarding Health Care in the United States. No special graphics, no "World's Worst" or any of the usual antics... just straight talk about his feelings on the situation. Some personal stories, combined with some interesting historical ties with our current debate with previous health care battles. Also, some of you dissenters out there may have been impressed if only for a second, as several of his commentary was focused on other Democrats... primarily the six in the Senate who are causing problems with the passing of a health care bill.

I think the whole thing is available on YouTube for now.
YouTube - Part 1| Keith Olbermann's Special Comment On Health Care Reform
YouTube - Part 2| Keith Olbermann's Special Comment On Health Care Reform
YouTube - Part 3| Keith Olbermann's Special Comment On Health Care Reform

Anyone else watch this?

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
I love all the behind-the-scenes, closed-door-deal-making and arm-twisting and intense negotiating that is going on RIGHT NOW in the halls of congress as we type. This, of course, is a story that the media cannot give us yet because it is still evolving.

Certain bits are leaking out, however.

Schumer: Opt-Out Public Option Being "Very Seriously Considered"

A health care compromise that would establish a national public option for insurance coverage that individual states could opt out of, is being "very seriously considered" by Senate Democrats, a key Democratic lawmakers said on Thursday.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) told MSNBC that he and his colleagues have discussed the "opt-out" public option compromise as a way to get a bill past a Republican filibuster. The proposal is designed to get the support of progressive members of the Democratic Caucus -- who are committed to a government-run insurance option -- and conservative Democrats who are worried about what a public plan would have on the private markets in their states.

----------

On Rachel Maddow last night, it was insinuated that the dems are now going to play hardball (within their own party). If any democrat fillibusters, and does not allow this eventual bill to come to a full vote on the Senate Floor, that democratic senator will be at risk of being stripped of whatever chairmanship position he has in whatever committee he sits on.

mynameisnobody

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
that democratic senator will be at risk of being stripped of whatever chairmanship position he has in whatever committee he sits on.
Seems like a threat with few teeth. The Dems are currently in full circle-the-wagons mode against removal of Rangel from chairmanship of the committee which writes our tax laws. If you can remove one Congresscritter from a committee, you can remove two, or three - I can't see them running the risk.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm rather fond of Olbermann. I caught the second half of his bitch slap at the House and Senate regarding health care. Unlike the clowns on FOX, it was obvious Olbermann's tears that he tried to keep from falling were real. I also find it amazing that a guy who initially made his foray into broadcasting as a sports caster has such a larger and accurate vocabulary than those on FAUX NEWS who can barely pronounce half the words they try to say.

Kudos for Olbermann. Yeah, he's paying a ton of personal income to care for his dying father who is also having to liquidate his own personal estate just to stay alive. But that's the 'Mericuhn way to show your patriotism by letting the Cignas, Humanas, Kaiser Health, Aetnas, and all those blue crosses hold the USA hostage as they rape and pillage every citizen for what pathetic health care they're willing to provide -- until it is no longer profitable.

It amazes me how many citizens of the USA don't believe that universal health care is a just as much a civil right in an industrialized society as is free speech. But then I remember how well Regan controlled Reagan and the Republicans turned the USA into their own version of a corporation, eliminating the concept of democracy altogether. Add to that the out right assault on public education by refusing to adequately fund it and making certain the high school graduate of today is a dumb as a bar of soap, well . . . what more can we expect?

Last edited:

chadstallion

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm rather fond of Olbermann. I caught the second half of his bitch slap at the House and Senate regarding health care. Unlike the clowns on FOX, it was obvious Olbermann's tears that he tried to keep from falling were real. I also find it amazing that a guy who initially made his foray into broadcasting as a sports caster has such a larger and accurate vocabulary than those on FAUX NEWS who can barely pronounce half the words they try to say.

Kudos for Olbermann. Yeah, he's paying a ton of personal income to care for his dying father who is also having to liquidate his own personal estate just to stay alive. But that's the 'Mericuhn way to show your patriotism by letting the Cignas, Humanas, Kaiser Health, Aetnas, and all those blue crosses hold the USA hostage as they rape and pillage every citizen for what pathetic health care they're willing to provide -- until it is no longer profitable.

It amazes me how many citizens of the USA don't believe that universal health care is a just as much a civil right in an industrialized society as is free speech. But then I remember how well Regan controlled Reagan and the Republicans turned the USA into their own version of a corporation, eliminating the concept of democracy altogether. Add to that the out right assault on public education by refusing to adequately fund it and making certain the high school graduate of today is a dumb as a bar of soap, well . . . what more can we expect?

great post. thanks for your comments

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pretty incredible piece, I thought. Comparing our ability to provide health care to that of 1800's Britain was enlightening, to say the least.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Does anyone question that Republicans would support debtor prison for families forced into bankruptcy because of insurmountable health care costs? You just know they are going to find a way to put families in debtor prisons for losing their jobs and having their homes foreclosed if they get the chance. They'll probably call it something palatable like "The 'Mericuhn Financial Recovery Corps" or something equally scary.