Kennedy's funeral mass

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Stronzo, Aug 29, 2009.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I'm watching it as I write this.

Last night's tribute at The John F. Kennedy Library had the feel of a toned-down Irish wake. It was beautifully done.

The funeral (on this miserable day - feeling the remnants of tropical storm Danny) is at the Mission Church (pretty tough neighborhood but wonderful basilica) and it's filled with fifteen hundred invited guests.

They are as diverse as was the Senator.

Placido Domingo will sing. Jack Nicholson is there. So is Tony Bennett.

Three former presidents are in in attendance; G.W. Bush, Clinton, and Carter.

Gordon Brown's wife is there as the representative for her husband who's now in Afghanistan with the troops.

The leaders of both Ireland and North Ireland are present. And of course the President and his wife are in the front row since Obama will be delivering the eulogy. It occurs to me that no matter what your political affiliation (my dad's was staunch Old Guard Republican) one cannot help but sense the widespread influence the last of the Kennedy men had on this world.

I feel compelled to watch even the religious bits (Protestant though I am) since what's going on on that television right now is an indelible part of American History.

2. Florida Boy

Gold Member

I just can't help tear-up seeing The President and First Lady there.

3. eddie63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I watch as they carried his casket into the church till the end of the broadcast. When his boys spoke about him it has very moving & emotional. It showed just how much love they had for him. All the Kennedy family, Ex-President's, VIP's & others coming together to pay respect to someone who meant so much to America. Regardless if you liked him or not.

I was to young to remember his brothers being shot. But I knew the Kennedy name stood for something. How often will people my age get to see something of this nature? Maybe one of the younger Kennedy's will become President as well, time will only tell.

4. houtx48

Gold Member

"Maybe one of the younger Kennedy's will become President as well, time will only tell"........................does the name Bush ring any bells, enough is enough.

5. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    While Kennedy managed to swim free, she was trapped inside. Shamefully, inexplicably, Kennedy did not raise the alarm. He waited until the next day before contacting the cops.

Mary Jo is believed to have survived for some time in an air bubble. She could have been saved?

But Kennedy was more concerned about saving his own reputation. For hours he did nothing.

6. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:

He's not worthy of a funeral mass.

People with money and power rarely pay for their sins in this life.

7. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just like John McCain

8. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah...forgot about him.

9. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    So I take it then, you are not all boohooey over Kennedy, as you will McCain?

10. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, I feel a profound loss today.

EMK was a great man dedicated to helping people unable to help themselves.

You retarded right-wing 'tards can only keep hanging the Mary Jo noose around his neck while ignoring the fact that McCain also killed a woman in a car crash and hid from it for YEARS.

11. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    As we live our lives we, each of us, have our ups and downs, our momements we can look to with pride, and some not so.

If there is such a thing as a final judgment after our deaths, I'd like to believe its based on the sum of our lives and on the overall nobility of our causes... that it's a weighing of the good one has accomplished (or hoped to) against the bad.

If that were so, I'd suspect there'd be a few, perhaps, in direr straits than Ted Kennedy.

May he, and his family be a peace.

12. hud01

Gold Member

You mean having your oldest brother die in WWII, then to have the next two brothers be assinated. His son losing leg to cancer.

Don't forget about his sister who was given a lobotomy and lived her life in an institution.

Then minor JFK Jr thing.

He lived a charmed life. Right. You disgust me.

Edit: I forgot about his sister who died in a plane crash during the war.

#12 hud01, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  13. ryan25yo

Gold Member

Albums:
    But, they WILL in the enxt!

14. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

If he was concerned about saving his own reputation, he would have reported the incident as soon as possible.
    To do otherwise was pretty good proof that he wasn't thinking clearly.
    He claimed that his physicians told him he had suffered a concussion during the event.
    I find this entirely plausible.
    The effect of concussions wasn't really something that most people, including journalists, knew much about back then. In the decades since, we've learned just how serious (and sometimes insidious) their effects can be.

But whatever ...

RMK led a life thereafter that was pretty impressive. I have no doubt that he was fundamentally a man of good heart. We have too many testimonies to that effect from too many people to have much doubt on that point.

Forty years after, and just days after his death, can't mention of his name bring something else to mind other than Chappaquiddick?

15. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Yikes.

I should have put a proviso that I'd have liked this thread to remain respectful given it's an account of his funeral mass.

Thanks senor rubirosa for the perspective.

Yes.. "the sum of our lives". You articulate with great heart and understanding the failings and truimphs of simply being human.

#15 B_Stronzo, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  16. hud01

Gold Member

You are a clueless asshole

17. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    On so many levels.
    Dave

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

It's unfortunate that so many chose to focus on one single incident in a mans life to define him without looking at all of the incredibly important work he has done since.
    In the end he was a father, a husband, an uncle and a friend who has died. I don't understand why reverence is not possible. If all of you who can not or will not show some respect...can you tell me what you have done to improve your world much less the lives of others? It is sad to me that more respect and grief has been paid by most members of this site to Michael Jackson than to Mr. Kennedy.

19. Incocknito

Gold Member

I don't know which to respect more; child molestation or murder?

While I may not have changed the world, it is also true that I have never molested a child nor have I ever caused anyone to die.

20. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have cried so many tears today I'm in physical pain. I hope the next generation can and does carry the mantle of public service as proudly and effectively as the Senator.

God bless you Uncle Teddy! Rest in Peace.

Draft saved Draft deleted