Keto

Dan-A

Cherished Member
Media
So I came across that kind of diet many times and I was wondering what you guys think about it.
For those who doesn’t know it it’s a first based on fat mainly from animals (usually cow/pig) then proteins and then carbs (most of the people that are doing it try to eat like 15g of carbs each day or even less). And then the fuel of the body comes from fat and not from carbs and then you lose fat.
I’ve read from that people that are doing it that it’s very healthy and they feel amazing.
But is it though??

Reactions: neutrno

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I’m a minority here.
I was placed on the keto diet by a neurologist in my childhood.

I never wanted to be on that diet. I was limited in what fruit I could have and forced to eat things I hated, namely meat and rich fats.
It took fish sticks away, one of the few things I did like.

Years later, my mom was using a book called the After 35 Diet, and it used keto for the first three or four weeks as a jumpstart.

Harvard studies show a connection between the fad keto diet and liver problems. Diabetic numbers vary too much to say decisively if it’s a good idea long term.

I wonder if keto is like fasting before going whole food plant based. A reset.

Reactions: twoton

Dan-A

Cherished Member
Media
You know I’m very conflicted and confused about that diet.
On one hand there are those researchers that shows it’s bad on the long term.
On the other hand, I spoke to people that are doing it for years and are very happy and healthy.
Who’s right and who’s wrong?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
You know I’m very conflicted and confused about that diet.
On one hand there are those researchers that shows it’s bad on the long term.
On the other hand, I spoke to people that are doing it for years and are very happy and healthy.
Who’s right and who’s wrong?

define “years.”

Damage takes years to show, and longer for symptoms.
How many people go in for minor chest pain and discover 90 percent blockage in their heart?
My sweetie lost his best friend and collaborative partner to a sudden fatal heart attack.
The man had been vegetarian for 20 plus years, but ate cheese. And he smoked. A lot. Of a lot.
But his endurance was good, he felt great. He was recovering from a car accident and was very chipper.

But back to Keto, on the anecdotal level, people who are cycling it for body/physique building reasons are getting the best results.

as for who is right, I’m going with people with more than one test subject.

Reactions: bonerjams03

Dan-A

Cherished Member
Media
I’ve seen people that are doing it for at least 10 years. I don’t know if that enough for symptoms to show up.
If it’s just to look better than I guess it’s better to not to it

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I been on keto for several years, will come off for special days, but on it for about 95% of the time. My doctor watch me close for the first 6 months, my blood work became a poster child for good health. Cholesterol dropped to 111 total with 45 of that good cholesterol. Blood sugars dropped into the 80's, it had been in the 135 range. The rest of the blood work looked just as good. Add this to the 80 pounds I lost, and a echo cardiogram stress test that put me in the marathon runners range, makes me think I found how my body needs to eat. The problem is different metabolisms need different foods. Makes me reject the food pyramids, and stick with what I know is working for me.

neutrno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I eat keto. I don't want to lose weight, but I wanted to consume less carbs.

I like it a lot, because the food is tasty, with all the fat.

Now that it's getting warm, I'm finding it less appealing a little, but still eating keto, because I like it.

I find it easy to follow in the sense that the food is good. But there's no structure for ketoers where I live. It isn't popular here, in Europe. So, I have to cook. It's also expensive, but since I eat less food, it's cheaper... does it make sense?

As for the keto flu (they call the first weeks like that, when you have carb withdrawal symptoms), I didn't have it.

However, I don't get the energy that they talk about. I've been on it for months and I still feel less energy than when I started.

Because of keto, I've actually lost weight during confinement. I wasn't trying to, but it was unavoidable.

The reason I want to eat less carbs is to avoid diabetes. I like sugar a lot and other carbs in general, stuff like lentils, oatmeal... I wanted to stop it, before I'd end up getting diabetes, in spite of having a normal weight (BMI < 24.9).

Before keto, I've tried going the total opposite, eating vegan for a while. It was ok at the beginning, but the more I've read about it, the more I've disagreed. In the end, I gave up on it.

I've noticed many vegans and many ketoers have a thing in common: extremism. This is the part I don't like, to put it mildly. I've promised myself that if I start to get this part of the deal, I'll quit.

neutrno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I been on keto for several years, will come off for special days, but on it for about 95% of the time. My doctor watch me close for the first 6 months, my blood work became a poster child for good health. Cholesterol dropped to 111 total with 45 of that good cholesterol. Blood sugars dropped into the 80's, it had been in the 135 range. The rest of the blood work looked just as good. Add this to the 80 pounds I lost, and a echo cardiogram stress test that put me in the marathon runners range, makes me think I found how my body needs to eat. The problem is different metabolisms need different foods. Makes me reject the food pyramids, and stick with what I know is working for me.
I'm thrilled for you! Congratulations!

How many net carb grams do you usually eat?

neutrno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I’ve seen people that are doing it for at least 10 years. I don’t know if that enough for symptoms to show up.
If it’s just to look better than I guess it’s better to not to it
It isn't just to look better.

I've seen many use it to lower their blood glucose. People with prediabetes and/or diabetes. Many also use it to fight PCOS.

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm thrilled for you! Congratulations!

How many net carb grams do you usually eat?
I try for under 20, have noticed energy drop at 50 which was the Atkins diet goal.

Reactions: neutrno

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I eat keto. I don't want to lose weight, but I wanted to consume less carbs.

I like it a lot, because the food is tasty, with all the fat.

Now that it's getting warm, I'm finding it less appealing a little, but still eating keto, because I like it.

I find it easy to follow in the sense that the food is good. But there's no structure for ketoers where I live. It isn't popular here, in Europe. So, I have to cook. It's also expensive, but since I eat less food, it's cheaper... does it make sense?

As for the keto flu (they call the first weeks like that, when you have carb withdrawal symptoms), I didn't have it.

However, I don't get the energy that they talk about. I've been on it for months and I still feel less energy than when I started.

Because of keto, I've actually lost weight during confinement. I wasn't trying to, but it was unavoidable.

The reason I want to eat less carbs is to avoid diabetes. I like sugar a lot and other carbs in general, stuff like lentils, oatmeal... I wanted to stop it, before I'd end up getting diabetes, in spite of having a normal weight (BMI < 24.9).

Before keto, I've tried going the total opposite, eating vegan for a while. It was ok at the beginning, but the more I've read about it, the more I've disagreed. In the end, I gave up on it.

I've noticed many vegans and many ketoers have a thing in common: extremism. This is the part I don't like, to put it mildly. I've promised myself that if I start to get this part of the deal, I'll quit.
How do you figure out if someone is vegan, keto or CrossFit?
You don’t. They’ll tell you.

I'm hugely supportive of keto. Been on it for years and lost nearly 100 lbs and kept it off.

It's not magic but avoiding soda and beer and sweets alone means you'll probably lose weight if you stick to it.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've never tried the keto diet.
I've never had a reason to. (My struggle has been to add weight, not shed it.).
But, from talking to many people who have done it, it seems the most common issue is being able to stay on it for longer periods of time.
Knowing how the human body responds to carbs/sugars/insulin and how the species used to eat for survival, I don't think there's enough on the other side of the coin to deem it dangerous or unhealthy.
If you have the discipline, go for it.
What's the worst that can happen?.... You try it. Don't like it. Stop it. Go back to what you're doing.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I've never tried the keto diet.
I've never had a reason to. (My struggle has been to add weight, not shed it.).
But, from talking to many people who have done it, it seems the most common issue is being able to stay on it for longer periods of time.
Knowing how the human body responds to carbs/sugars/insulin and how the species used to eat for survival, I don't think there's enough on the other side of the coin to deem it dangerous or unhealthy.
If you have the discipline, go for it.
What's the worst that can happen?.... You try it. Don't like it. Stop it. Go back to what you're doing.

it is a bunch of ranking risk.

I wonder how eating fat encourages the body to burn fat.
It seems to me that one needs to be a good bit under energy needs to trigger fat as first fuel.

Gerony

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is a ton of hype surrounding the ketogenic diet. Some researchers swear that it is the best diet for most people to be on, while others think it is just another fad diet.

To some degree, both sides of the spectrum are right. There isn’t one perfect diet for everyone or every condition, regardless of how many people “believe” in it. The ketogenic diet is no exception to this rule.

However, the ketogenic diet also has plenty of solid research backing up its benefits. In fact, it has been found to be better than most diets at helping people with:

• Epilepsy
  • Type 2 Diabetes
  • Type 1 Diabetes
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Chronic Inflammation
  • High Blood Sugar Levels
  • Obesity
  • Heart Disease
  • Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • Fatty Liver Disease
  • Cancer
  • Migraines
Even if you are not at risk from any of these conditions, the ketogenic diet can be helpful for you too. Some of the benefits that most people experience are:

• Better brain function
  • A decrease in inflammation
  • An increase in energy
  • Improved body composition
As you can see, the ketogenic diet has a wide array of benefits, but is it any better than other diets?

The Calorie Conundrum

Many researchers argue that ketosis (burning ketones for fuel) and carbohydrate restrictions only play a minor role in the benefits of the ketogenic diet. Their argument is that people tend to eat fewer calories on the ketogenic diet, and this is the main reason for its benefits.

It is true that people on the ketogenic diet tend to eat less because of how satiating eating a high-fat moderate-protein diet is for us. And it is also true that less calorie consumption leads to improved health and weight loss, but there is something that many researchers don’t consider.

The ketogenic diet elicits many other important mechanisms in the body and cells that are nonexistent in other diets. These unique mechanisms explain the benefits of the ketogenic diet that eating fewer calories cannot.

How The Body Adapts To The Ketogenic Diet — The Main Reason for Many of the Benefits

From The Cell’s Point of View

Carbohydrates are the body’s preferred fuel source. When its consumption is restricted, the body reacts as if it is fasting. This stimulates new energy pathways to provide energy for the cells. One of these energy pathways is called ketogenesis, and the result of ketogenesis is an alternative fuel source called a ketone body.

These ketones bodies can be used by almost every cell in your body for fuel (except for the liver and red blood cells). However, sugar and ketone bodies affect the body in many different ways with full info on jbhnews.

For example, burning sugar for fuel creates more reactive oxygen species. These reactive oxygen species cause damage, inflammation, and cell death when they accumulate. This is why consuming too much sugar is known to impair brain function and cause plaque build up in the brain.

On the other hand, ketones provide a more efficient energy source and help protect neuron cells in the brain. This is partly because burning ketones for fuel decreases the production of reactive oxygen species and enhances mitochondrial function and production.

The healthy cells that are struggling to survive are helped by the carbohydrate restriction as well. Without access to carbohydrates, a cellular process called autophagy is activated. This process up-regulates many factors that improve cell health and resilience, clean up the cell from damage and elicit anti-inflammatory processes.

The combination of autophagy and ketone burning are essential in helping people with cancer and brain disorders like epilepsy, migraines, and Alzheimer’s.

From The Body’s Perspective

Now, let’s zoom out and look at how the ketogenic diet changes the body. It all begins with a change in insulin levels.

By restricting carbohydrates, we take the biggest stimulator of insulin out of the diet. This decreases insulin levels, increases fat burning, and reduces inflammation. The combination of these three changes addresses the primary drivers of many chronic diseases — insulin resistance, inflammation, and fat accumulation.

The Takeaway — The Mechanisms Behind The Ketogenic Diet

From a mechanistic level, here is why the ketogenic diets can lead to benefits that reach beyond caloric restriction:

On a cellular level:

• Ketones burn more efficiently than sugar.
  • Carbohydrate restriction triggers autophagy and anti-inflammatory processes.
  • Burning ketones for fuel creates less reactive oxygen species.
  • Ketone usage enhances mitochondrial function and production.
In the body:

• Insulin levels decrease because dietary carbohydrate isn’t stimulating its release.
  • Fat burning increases because the body needs to use alternative fuel sources.
  • Inflammation is reduced because inflammatory fat levels decrease and less reactive oxygen species are formed.
The combination of the cellular and bodily effects of the ketogenic diet provides us with a basis for why they may be useful in the treatment of the conditions we mentioned earlier. However, this is only biochemistry. Is the ketogenic diet scientifically proven to help people with those conditions?

Treating Epilepsy — The Origins of The Ketogenic Diet

Our journey through the research on the ketogenic diet starts in 1924 with Dr. Russell Wilder. At the prestigious Mayo Clinic, Dr. Wilder designed a carbohydrate-restricted diet to treat epilepsy in children, and the research at the time indicated that it was highly effective.

The first high-quality study on epilepsy and the ketogenic diet wasn’t published until much later, in 1998. In this study, researchers recruited 150 children, and nearly all of them had more than two seizures per week despite taking at least two seizure-reducing medications. The children were provided with a ketogenic diet for a one-year trial.

After three months, about 34% of the children, or slightly over one-third, had over a 90% decrease in seizures.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it is a bunch of ranking risk.

I wonder how eating fat encourages the body to burn fat.
It seems to me that one needs to be a good bit under energy needs to trigger fat as first fuel.
The basics, as I understand them, is that you are depriving your body of carbohydrates. The body goes to them first for fuel. If none are available, it goes to fat next.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
The basics, as I understand them, is that you are depriving your body of carbohydrates. The body goes to them first for fuel. If none are available, it goes to fat next.
But wouldn’t the body use the new fresh fat the average ketoer is guzzling be the preferred source as it hasn’t been taken up into storage?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
There is a ton of hype surrounding the ketogenic diet. Some researchers swear that it is the best diet for most people to be on, while others think it is just another fad diet.

To some degree, both sides of the spectrum are right. There isn’t one perfect diet for everyone or every condition, regardless of how many people “believe” in it. The ketogenic diet is no exception to this rule.

However, the ketogenic diet also has plenty of solid research backing up its benefits. In fact, it has been found to be better than most diets at helping people with:

• Epilepsy
  • Type 2 Diabetes
  • Type 1 Diabetes
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Alzheimer’s disease
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Chronic Inflammation
  • High Blood Sugar Levels
  • Obesity
  • Heart Disease
  • Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • Fatty Liver Disease
  • Cancer
  • Migraines
Even if you are not at risk from any of these conditions, the ketogenic diet can be helpful for you too. Some of the benefits that most people experience are:

• Better brain function
  • A decrease in inflammation
  • An increase in energy
  • Improved body composition
As you can see, the ketogenic diet has a wide array of benefits, but is it any better than other diets?

The Calorie Conundrum

Many researchers argue that ketosis (burning ketones for fuel) and carbohydrate restrictions only play a minor role in the benefits of the ketogenic diet. Their argument is that people tend to eat fewer calories on the ketogenic diet, and this is the main reason for its benefits.

It is true that people on the ketogenic diet tend to eat less because of how satiating eating a high-fat moderate-protein diet is for us. And it is also true that less calorie consumption leads to improved health and weight loss, but there is something that many researchers don’t consider.

The ketogenic diet elicits many other important mechanisms in the body and cells that are nonexistent in other diets. These unique mechanisms explain the benefits of the ketogenic diet that eating fewer calories cannot.

How The Body Adapts To The Ketogenic Diet — The Main Reason for Many of the Benefits

From The Cell’s Point of View

Carbohydrates are the body’s preferred fuel source. When its consumption is restricted, the body reacts as if it is fasting. This stimulates new energy pathways to provide energy for the cells. One of these energy pathways is called ketogenesis, and the result of ketogenesis is an alternative fuel source called a ketone body.

These ketones bodies can be used by almost every cell in your body for fuel (except for the liver and red blood cells). However, sugar and ketone bodies affect the body in many different ways with full info on jbhnews.

For example, burning sugar for fuel creates more reactive oxygen species. These reactive oxygen species cause damage, inflammation, and cell death when they accumulate. This is why consuming too much sugar is known to impair brain function and cause plaque build up in the brain.

On the other hand, ketones provide a more efficient energy source and help protect neuron cells in the brain. This is partly because burning ketones for fuel decreases the production of reactive oxygen species and enhances mitochondrial function and production.

The healthy cells that are struggling to survive are helped by the carbohydrate restriction as well. Without access to carbohydrates, a cellular process called autophagy is activated. This process up-regulates many factors that improve cell health and resilience, clean up the cell from damage and elicit anti-inflammatory processes.

The combination of autophagy and ketone burning are essential in helping people with cancer and brain disorders like epilepsy, migraines, and Alzheimer’s.

From The Body’s Perspective

Now, let’s zoom out and look at how the ketogenic diet changes the body. It all begins with a change in insulin levels.

By restricting carbohydrates, we take the biggest stimulator of insulin out of the diet. This decreases insulin levels, increases fat burning, and reduces inflammation. The combination of these three changes addresses the primary drivers of many chronic diseases — insulin resistance, inflammation, and fat accumulation.

The Takeaway — The Mechanisms Behind The Ketogenic Diet

From a mechanistic level, here is why the ketogenic diets can lead to benefits that reach beyond caloric restriction:

On a cellular level:

• Ketones burn more efficiently than sugar.
  • Carbohydrate restriction triggers autophagy and anti-inflammatory processes.
  • Burning ketones for fuel creates less reactive oxygen species.
  • Ketone usage enhances mitochondrial function and production.
In the body:

• Insulin levels decrease because dietary carbohydrate isn’t stimulating its release.
  • Fat burning increases because the body needs to use alternative fuel sources.
  • Inflammation is reduced because inflammatory fat levels decrease and less reactive oxygen species are formed.
The combination of the cellular and bodily effects of the ketogenic diet provides us with a basis for why they may be useful in the treatment of the conditions we mentioned earlier. However, this is only biochemistry. Is the ketogenic diet scientifically proven to help people with those conditions?

Treating Epilepsy — The Origins of The Ketogenic Diet

Our journey through the research on the ketogenic diet starts in 1924 with Dr. Russell Wilder. At the prestigious Mayo Clinic, Dr. Wilder designed a carbohydrate-restricted diet to treat epilepsy in children, and the research at the time indicated that it was highly effective.

The first high-quality study on epilepsy and the ketogenic diet wasn’t published until much later, in 1998. In this study, researchers recruited 150 children, and nearly all of them had more than two seizures per week despite taking at least two seizure-reducing medications. The children were provided with a ketogenic diet for a one-year trial.

After three months, about 34% of the children, or slightly over one-third, had over a 90% decrease in seizures.

I sense I’ve read this in a web page.
Sources?