Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
hey muscle,
I got my kindle last october and I love it. havent had to buy a hard copy of any book except my school books since using it. its easy to take anywhere and when you buy books , they are a lot cheaper....Its great. the only thing is that sometimes not all books are available on kindle. but most are
enjoy
Jay

D

deleted213967

I'm far off on this. I love me my "real" books.

Never say never, of course.

But....

My suspicion is that most people will use a combination of physical books and e-books for many years.

However, as technology improves and Kindle et al become increasingly ergonomic and feature-rich, I imagine that physical books will be relegated to a decorative and collectible role.

There is something vaguely reassuring about a bookcase full of palpable human knowledge and experience though, so I am not quite ready to give it all up.

D_Diesel Oyl

Sexy Member
Media
I ordered the larger one. Someone at work had the smaller version, and I figured fuck it, get the bigger one.

I agree with SILVER TRAIN - I like hard-cover books, that you can hold in your hands when you read, underline, dog-ear. But my purchase of the Kindle is purely practical - I travel a lot and just can't take all those books with me. I am sad to see the end of an era, but I will still want to read real books and the Kindle!

D

deleted213967

I ordered the larger one. Someone at work had the smaller version, and I figured fuck it, get the bigger one.

I agree with SILVER TRAIN - I like hard-cover books, that you can hold in your hands when you read, underline, dog-ear. But my purchase of the Kindle is purely practical - I travel a lot and just can't take all those books with me. I am sad to see the end of an era, but I will still want to read real books and the Kindle!

Would you mind updating this thread after you've used it a bit? I'd like to order the textbook version myself.

My idea is to use Kindle to download books I wouldn't buy at full paper price but I'd want to reference or only partially read.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Oh, I'm sure I'll break down and succumb to the wonders of technological convenience someday (sooner rather than later). But I'll never get rid of my bookshelves full of the real thing.

Books to me are like objects of art. Each and every one. The covers, the dust jackets, the wear and tear, the inscriptions "From Dinara - on this holy day, to another Modesty Blaise fan", the stamps from the Western Australian Railway Library, the history, the majesty, the sometimes wonderful words within..........

I'm hoping Kindle doesn't do for books what mp3 has done for music on vinyl/cd. Jury still out.....

D_Diesel Oyl

Sexy Member
Media
I agree 100 percent Silver

But I have often not embraced technology, to my detriment.

I can remember (stupidly) not using cut/paste - thought it was dumb.

So I'm trying to embrace technology here and there....

D

deleted213967

Oh, I'm sure I'll break down and succumb to the wonders of technological convenience someday (sooner rather than later). But I'll never get rid of my bookshelves full of the real thing.

Books to me are like objects of art. Each and every one. The covers, the dust jackets, the wear and tear, the inscriptions "From Dinara - on this holy day, to another Modesty Blaise fan", the stamps from the Western Australian Railway Library, the history, the majesty, the sometimes wonderful words within..........

I'm hoping Kindle doesn't do for books what mp3 has done for music on vinyl/cd. Jury still out.....

How about the smell of books? :heart:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I'm still waiting for Amazon to make the Kindle available in Canada.
I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I really like the palpability of books, and I have the belief, right or wrong, that text on paper somehow sticks in the mind better than text on a screen.
But Kindles must be fairly good or they wouldn't enjoy the (relative) success that they have.
Can you read outside in daylight? Can you read with sunlight on the screen?
Are Kindles considered really durable?
If something happened and you lost a download, can you download again without charge?
(As you can see, I don't know beans about Kindle yet ... have never even seen one 'in the flesh.')

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yes I can read my kindle in direct sunlight, but like all little electronic things it doesn’t like high heat and will freeze up on you, then I have to open the back and reboot it.

Amazon keeps a file for you of all the books you bought, should you delete it from your kindle you can download it back, you only pay for the book once.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
yes I can read my kindle in direct sunlight, but like all little electronic things it doesn’t like high heat and will freeze up on you, then I have to open the back and reboot it.

Amazon keeps a file for you of all the books you bought, should you delete it from your kindle you can download it back, you only pay for the book once.

Good stuff.
You're a good witch, y'know.
:cool: