Kirby salesmen

dannyrankin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
These door-to-door salesmen just do not give up! I've had them come around to my place a number of times over the years with their incessant sales pitches and pestering. I know people who have let them inside their houses for their "free carpet cleaning" and they said they had to threaten to call the police to get them out. Who's had the displeasure of dealing with these buggers?

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
These door-to-door salesmen just do not give up! I've had them come around to my place a number of times over the years with their incessant sales pitches and pestering. I know people who have let them inside their houses for their "free carpet cleaning" and they said they had to threaten to call the police to get them out. Who's had the displeasure of dealing with these buggers?

I've never seen a door-to-door salesman here but i have had Jehova's witnesses knocking on my door a few times. The first time i opened it to them, i was smoking a spliff. They said who they were and i just closed the door. Gay, smoking, drugs, like they would have been interested in me lol

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sounds like a case of government protecting the wider community. :tongue::biggrin1:

Gated communities are entirely private real estate developments, though they rely on public fire-fighters and policing (in tandem with private security, almost always rather heavy-handed).

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Gated communities are entirely private real estate developments, though they rely on public fire-fighters and policing (in tandem with private security, almost always rather heavy-handed).

You make it sound like we don't pay property tax to pay for those public services. We simply pay an extra cost to have 24 hour security to keep the Kirby salesman from knocking on our door.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Had a friend who became a Kirby salesman.

Seems like they'd managed to brainwash him during training, he tried to sell to my parents but £800+ for a vacuum cleaner was shocking.

My parents weren't interested and he couldn't believe that they could refuse such an amazing piece of machinery

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh this is funny. As a kid i worked for them doing phone solicitation. Setting up appointments. At the time they would offer free steak knives if the customer would allow a demonstration. I think i was 15 years old. They had a small showroom also, where the customer could browse or buy. I will never forget one day as i went by the showroom. A woman stopped me. What makes this vacuum cleaner so good? Why is it so expensive? I looked down at the vacuum cleaner and pointed at it. I then looked up at her and said lady this sucks. She burst out into laughter. I gave her a deadpan look and just waked away. She bought the vacuum cleaner.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
When I was about 15 or 16 I answer an ad in the local classified for help wanted. They didn't specify what the job was; there was just a phone number to call. So I called and they said come to the office at such and such a time.

So I went on a Friday morning and it was a Kirby recruiting/training place. So I said, "not interested man". If you think it was hard to get them out of your house, trying to get away from their training session. I had to sit there until the afternoon and made my escape during the lunch break. They called the house a few times trying to get me to come and do the training. He tried different tacks, escalating from, ''We really need you", "you can earn a lot of money", to "why did you waste our time?" Finally my oldest brother took the phone and told the guy to stop calling or he'd go over there and fuck him.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Although Kirby makes good vacuum cleaners, they are WAY over priced and there are other vacuum cleaners that are just as good.

I have a central vacuum system so I'm not sure how a Kirby salesman would try to sell me a Kirby.

simbablk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had the displeasure of allowing a Kirby salesman into my home years ago. And like you all said, it is extremely difficult to get them out.

There were two of them: one veteran salesman and one in training. When the guy "offered" to buy my Bissell vacuum for $200 - I knew immediately something was up. While he was taking another call, we asked the girl how much the vacuum cost. She told us around $1500. $1500!!!!!!! Are you out of your fucking mind? Well, at that point we made up our minds and told him he could go. He kept probing and asking why turn away such a great vacuum. We told him "because it costs too much"! He asked who told us that. "She did!". After several failed attempts to get us rethink our position on the matter he called the corporate office who (guessing after he told them what happened) asked the girl to step outside and wait for the veteran guy to finish "making the sale". It was 90+ degrees outside that day! WTF!

We kept taking ice water to the girl while this idiot guy kept calling his corporate scum bags to make a deal with us. "Seriously dude, do you think I would consider buying from a company who told their employee to wait outside in the summer heat? What if I told YOU to wait outside in the heat while I thought about it?"

He packed his shit and left.

Simba

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You make it sound like we don't pay property tax to pay for those public services. We simply pay an extra cost to have 24 hour security to keep the Kirby salesman from knocking on our door.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that gated communities don't pay taxes. Remembering back to the one gated community I lived in for about a year, though, the security was indeed very heavy-handed. I'd have friends and/or "gentleman callers" park across the street and walk them in through one of the pedestrian entrances. The gatehouse was difficult and highly intrusive, with guests required to not just show an ID, but leave it there.

And the moves, both in and out, were a special cycle of hell.