KKK Rebounds on Hot Button Issues

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
FYI. As Just Asking noted: "Bigotry can not thrive where is it not tolerated.

From CNN.com

Klan growing, fed by anti-immigrant feelings, report says

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Ku Klux Klan has rebounded by exploiting current hot-button issues, especially immigration, according to a new report released by the Anti-Defamation League.

The Klan, and other white supremacist groups like skinheads and neo-Nazis, grew significantly more active in the past year, holding more rallies, distributing leaflets and increasing their presence on the Internet -- much of it focused on stirring anti-immigrant sentiment, according to the report.
"Extremist groups are good at seizing on whatever the hot button is of the day and twisting the message to get new members," Deborah M. Lauter, ADL Civil Rights director, said Monday. "This one seems to be taking hold with more of mainstream America than we'd like to see."

"Klan groups have witnessed a surprising and troubling resurgence by exploiting fears of an immigration explosion, and the debate over immigration has, in turn, helped to fuel an increase in Klan activity, with new groups sprouting in parts of the country that have not seen much activity," Lauter said.

Old Klan chapters have been revived and new ones started throughout the South, historically the heart of the group, and in other places such as Michigan, Iowa and New Jersey, says the report.

Last May in Alabama, an anti-immigration rally included slogans such as, "Let's get rid of the Mexicans!" according to the document, titled "Ku Klux Klan Rebounds."

"The Klan is increasingly cooperating with other extremist groups and Neo-Nazi groups," Lauter said. "That's a new phenomenon."
Between 2000 and 2005, hate groups mushroomed 33 percent and Klan chapters by 63 percent, according to Mark Potok, director of the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate crimes.

Precise data are difficult to pin down, but Potok's group counts as many as 150 Klan chapters with up to 8,000 members nationwide. More than 800 hate groups exist around the country, Southern Poverty research shows.

Hate groups were fading in 1990s

In the late 1990s, memberships in such groups was crumbling as they lost leaders and struggled to organize, said Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. Many hit bottom around 2000.

"Whenever you think the Klan is down and out, they find another way to reinvent themselves," he said of the recent resurgence.

Historically, the Klan's focus had been to terrorize African-Americans -- through race riots, lynchings and other killings -- but it reached peak membership at more than 4 million in the 1920s by focusing on immigration.
Newcomers from Ireland and Germany were portrayed as Catholic usurpers invading the United States, taking jobs from native-born Americans and undermining national fabric, Levin said.

Said Potok: "It's remarkable to look back at the nativist sentiments toward Catholics -- it's very similar to what we're seeing with Mexicans now."
Today, many white supremacists blame immigrants, particularly Hispanics, for crime, struggling schools or unemployment, for instance. With many Americans already divided on how to revamp laws and practices to address the nation's swelling immigrant communities, immigration "is an issue that works for hate groups," Potok said.

A burning cross on the front lawn

Many Latinos are feeling the effects firsthand. Last September, a Kentucky family originally from El Salvador found a wooden cross burning on their front lawn just weeks after they moved in.

Earlier last year, a Latino teenager in Houston was brutally beaten and sodomized while one attacker screamed "White Power!" The victim barely survived, and one attacker was sentenced to life in prison.

"I've been doing [Hispanic advocacy work] for a long, long time and the atmosphere has never been as poisonous as it has been in the last few years," said Lisa Navarrete, a vice president at the National Council of La Raza. "The level of vitriol is new."

Increasingly, fear permeates many Hispanic communities as individuals and businesses are targeted. Last year, La Raza held a workshop at its annual convention titled "Keeping Our Institutions Safe."

"It was very well attended, unfortunately," Navarrete said.

FULL REPORT

avg_joe

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree. KKK is taking advantage on the illegal immigration issue targeting the immigrants and spreading their hate agenda across America.

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Devils will PICK the MOST hated thing to gain MORE members......:mad:
The sad part is, they TEACH their YOUNG children this KIND of HATE.."
May the KKK and ALL the HATE groups BURN IN HELL.." That is where they will end up anyways.." The Bible says that you HAVE to LOVE one another!!!

Don't they know by now that COLOR is ONLY skin DEEP!!!:rolleyes:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sad. The average emmigrant, documented or not, is a much more active person than the average hate group member. They are supporting other people, rather than being a burden. Very difficult to live under the fear of being grabbed and deported at any time.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have mixed feelings about issues like this...

On the one hand, I usually consider such bastions of ignorance beneath me and wouldn't waste any time concerning myself with their idiocy. There will always be a percentage of the population that, for whatever reasons, falls prey to their siren song of stupidity, and I honestly believe that my ability to make this world a better place for us all will be better realized in other endeavors.

On the other, if there's one thing that living in a democracy has taught me, it's that you cannot underestimate the power of such ignorance/stupidity when its organized across sizable numbers. The mob mentality is a frightening phenomenon to witness in action. The corollary here is that apathy is likely the most dangerous condition of all, and it is unfortunately rampant in our society. The vast majority of people, myself included, simply don't give a rat's ass about most things beyond their immediate sphere of existence...at least not beyond the 5 minutes that the "hot-button" issues are forced upon us by the news/media.

I was traveling earlier this week, and HBO played a film called Sometimes in April while I was fighting insomnia. It's a rather horrifying story set against the backdrop of the genocide that took place in Rwanda back in 1994...a time when almost a million people were slaughtered in about 100 days, to which the civilized world (that's us) largely turned a blind eye. A lot of time was spent in the US/UN quibbling over whether these events met the legal definition of genocide because they weren't quite sure what the distinguishing characteristics were between Hutus and Tutsis. The point driven home in the film is a simple one: if you aren't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. Those who willfully ignore such behavior in their midst are morally indistinct from the perpetrators of such acts of hatred.

At the risk sounding like a cheeseball motivational speaker, I'm challenging everyone here to pick something meaningful to them and take an active role in improving our life. For you beatniks and treehuggers who already do so, I thank you...but don't exempt you! :biggrin1: Pick up another one. It doesn't have to be major, and it doesn't have to dominate your life or monopolize huge amounts of your time. Donate money to an exotic animal rescue facility. Switch to an energy provider that offers pollution-free electricity. Become an active participant in your childrens' PTAs. Find something close to your heart and get involved. Hell, find two somethings.

Keep it to yourself or shout it for everyone to hear...but do something to be part of the solution.

witchway

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Because of what all happpened in the past, people hear in Germany are more likely to stand up and say NO!! We don´t except your hatred of others and we will stand up and be heard! The best example of this was five years ago when a right-wing radical group thought they could just march through the streets of our city spouting hate against anyone and everyone who wasn´t ethnic german! The people of our city gathered more or less spontaniously for a anti-demonstration that just got bigger and bigger and the haters were forced to retreat and since then have never dared to publicly show their dasteredly faces again in our city! I was so pround in those moments of the anti-demo while people of all races, rich or poor, gay or straight came out on the streets and said no to hatred! When you stand up to them they run and hide because they are nothing but cowards. But you have to stay vigilant and always be prepared to make your voices heard because they always try to test the waters!

dostoy

Just Browsing
Media
I hope that now that the FBI has been re-directed to find terrorists in our country that they use that new found focus to take down these home grown terrorists while they are out in the open. If the FBI doesn't act quickly, we will have more McVeigh's running around bombing our communities.

Also, this is a good reason to quickly implement a guest worker program. No amnesty because this would only exasperate the culture of corruption that America had steadily been adopting. If these guest workers do return home they will hopefully take with them not only money to help build their native lands up but also expectations. New found expectations that their governments would have to live up to and new found know how of how things are done right. Otherwise, America would just be plundering the highly 'productive percentages' of Latin American countries.

What better way to help Latin America than by having a guest worker program that has people return home to help improve their wonderful lands? Definitely better results than the World Bank could ever hope to achieve.

Knockernail

1st Like
Media
Because of what all happpened in the past, people hear in Germany are more likely to stand up and say NO!! We don´t except your hatred of others and we will stand up and be heard! The best example of this was five years ago when a right-wing radical group thought they could just march through the streets of our city spouting hate against anyone and everyone who wasn´t ethnic german! The people of our city gathered more or less spontaniously for a anti-demonstration that just got bigger and bigger and the haters were forced to retreat and since then have never dared to publicly show their dasteredly faces again in our city! I was so pround in those moments of the anti-demo while people of all races, rich or poor, gay or straight came out on the streets and said no to hatred! When you stand up to them they run and hide because they are nothing but cowards. But you have to stay vigilant and always be prepared to make your voices heard because they always try to test the waters!

Great. Really.

I think in Spain we are having the same problem than USA. The massive coming of inmigrants is waking up the hate and misgiving towards them. Neo-nazi groups are reappearing when we all thought they were going down. Few months ago they march on my city, taking advantage of the basque conflict and claiming for the foreigners expulsion, and shouting against blacks, southamericans and arabs.

I like the way germanies take the subject.

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
FYI. As Just Asking noted: "Bigotry can not thrive where is it not tolerated.

From CNN.com

Klan growing, fed by anti-immigrant feelings, report says

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Ku Klux Klan has rebounded by exploiting current hot-button issues, especially immigration, according to a new report released by the Anti-Defamation League.

The Klan, and other white supremacist groups like skinheads and neo-Nazis, grew significantly more active in the past year, holding more rallies, distributing leaflets and increasing their presence on the Internet -- much of it focused on stirring anti-immigrant sentiment, according to the report.
"Extremist groups are good at seizing on whatever the hot button is of the day and twisting the message to get new members," Deborah M. Lauter, ADL Civil Rights director, said Monday. "This one seems to be taking hold with more of mainstream America than we'd like to see."

"Klan groups have witnessed a surprising and troubling resurgence by exploiting fears of an immigration explosion, and the debate over immigration has, in turn, helped to fuel an increase in Klan activity, with new groups sprouting in parts of the country that have not seen much activity," Lauter said.

Old Klan chapters have been revived and new ones started throughout the South, historically the heart of the group, and in other places such as Michigan, Iowa and New Jersey, says the report.

Last May in Alabama, an anti-immigration rally included slogans such as, "Let's get rid of the Mexicans!" according to the document, titled "Ku Klux Klan Rebounds."

"The Klan is increasingly cooperating with other extremist groups and Neo-Nazi groups," Lauter said. "That's a new phenomenon."
Between 2000 and 2005, hate groups mushroomed 33 percent and Klan chapters by 63 percent, according to Mark Potok, director of the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate crimes.

Precise data are difficult to pin down, but Potok's group counts as many as 150 Klan chapters with up to 8,000 members nationwide. More than 800 hate groups exist around the country, Southern Poverty research shows.

Hate groups were fading in 1990s

In the late 1990s, memberships in such groups was crumbling as they lost leaders and struggled to organize, said Brian Levin, director of the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. Many hit bottom around 2000.

"Whenever you think the Klan is down and out, they find another way to reinvent themselves," he said of the recent resurgence.

Historically, the Klan's focus had been to terrorize African-Americans -- through race riots, lynchings and other killings --

Okay Lex!
You have hit a hot buttom... been through some of these things
and encounetrs.
I'm a southern Mississippi black man ( as commonly referred to as boy). The KKK has always being well and alive; and I understand my place very well in their hearts and mind... scares me to death more often than not.
I know I work daily with some and hear them making the "Coon/Nig**r" jokes and comments all the time... in front of me even and laugh.
And they definitely talk and make comments about my gentials and other Nig**rs' they think of as being well hung.
I deal with it and move on and act very caution as my grandpa and grandma taught me.
My uncle (who is mentally slow) was a victim, (had a physical fight with a white boy) placed in jail and a work farm where he was beaten, sexually abused daily in exchange for his life or the risks of being hang from a tree.
Mine you, my uncle stands 6'5" tall and about a solid 260lbs.
And yes, he is also, well hung, which is what the fighting with a white boy was about, when he grabbed and pulled on my uncles gentials.
But, I will say, most of the white folk in town, know my family and our farm and generally think of us as a "Good Nig**r family " and not bother us too much. If it wasn't for some of my family members and the land we hold, I certainly would return to Chicago with my other family members that live there.
Pls. Lex... don't get me started too deep, this Black History Month.
My experiences and background can write a book... But, I'm proud of my African Heritage and background...I'm still here thank God!
" Let not, the young be mislead, commom sense is not so common, if not said."... orig.by me.
Thought to ponder:
Are Laws Really Made For The Stake of Our Freedom?
...The more laws, the less Freedom...Hmmmmm.:confused:

Be Safe, Be Careful, Enjoy!
Whopper-lee
LPSG Member

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have mixed feelings about issues like this...

On the one hand, I usually consider such bastions of ignorance beneath me and wouldn't waste any time concerning myself with their idiocy. There will always be a percentage of the population that, for whatever reasons, falls prey to their siren song of stupidity, and I honestly believe that my ability to make this world a better place for us all will be better realized in other endeavors.

On the other, if there's one thing that living in a democracy has taught me, it's that you cannot underestimate the power of such ignorance/stupidity when its organized across sizable numbers. The mob mentality is a frightening phenomenon to witness in action. The corollary here is that apathy is likely the most dangerous condition of all, and it is unfortunately rampant in our society. The vast majority of people, myself included, simply don't give a rat's ass about most things beyond their immediate sphere of existence...at least not beyond the 5 minutes that the "hot-button" issues are forced upon us by the news/media.<...>
Absolutely right, Hazel. But that's the problem. So many people underestimate just how much persuasive power even the most simple-minded hate-monger can possess. And the more often, and the louder, that the idiots scream their slogans, the more people will gradually begin to believe them. That's the problem. So many people rationalize "I have so many other things to be passionate about, and that doesn't affect me, so I won't speak up." But as quoted in the OP, "bigotry cannot thrive where it is not tolerated." We all need to confront the bigots as we encounter them. All of them.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well, on the positive side, the resurgence and activities of such groups may have the effect of taking racism in America out of "stealth" mode - un"veil"ing it for all the world to see it for what it truly is.

The mere association of groups like the Klan with these issues could make their position less palatable to those "i'm not a racist but" types who are inclined to court bigotry as something socially fashionable.

D_N Flay Table

Experimental Member
Media
wait a second..
yes, hating people is bad..
but many many groups of people can be considered 'racist'
'racism' rings true for everyone that discriminates againsed anyone for thier race, or color..
however..
most times it is perfectly acceptable for some groups of people to make fun of others.
-ever watched comedy shows on B.E.T?
yes they are funny, but most of the humor is at the expense of white people.
"white people do this, or white people do that"

And Hate crimes are not typically white on _____ anymore.
There is A LOT of latino on Black 'hate crimes' and vice versa.

The part about the whole 'race' thing that bothers me the most is the double standard.

for example.
ABC News: 9 Youths Convicted in Halloween Beatings

If a group of white people chased down some black kids and beat them in the streets while yelling racist slurs... oh my god.. not only would that be terrible, but that would also be all we would hear about for the next 4 months on the news..
I know that happend in the past, but we live in the present. and this does not need to happen to anyone anymore.

and before you start blasting at me for having an opinion on the topic,
I am not saying that I am correct, but hear me out..
I think that it all has to be even across the board.
Race/Creed/or Color has never influenced the way I have treated anyone.

I choose my friends off of principle, not color.

anyway.. enough rambling.
DJG

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
wait a second..
yes, hating people is bad..
but many many groups of people can be considered 'racist'
'racism' rings true for everyone that discriminates againsed anyone for thier race, or color..
however..
most times it is perfectly acceptable for some groups of people to make fun of others.
-ever watched comedy shows on B.E.T?
yes they are funny, but most of the humor is at the expense of white people.
"white people do this, or white people do that"

And Hate crimes are not typically white on _____ anymore.
There is A LOT of latino on Black 'hate crimes' and vice versa.

The part about the whole 'race' thing that bothers me the most is the double standard.

for example.
ABC News: 9 Youths Convicted in Halloween Beatings

If a group of white people chased down some black kids and beat them in the streets while yelling racist slurs... oh my god.. not only would that be terrible, but that would also be all we would hear about for the next 4 months on the news..
I know that happend in the past, but we live in the present. and this does not need to happen to anyone anymore.

and before you start blasting at me for having an opinion on the topic,
I am not saying that I am correct, but hear me out..
I think that it all has to be even across the board.
Race/Creed/or Color has never influenced the way I have treated anyone.

I choose my friends off of principle, not color.

anyway.. enough rambling.
DJG

Well, one can carry your "double standard" argument further. For example, here in N.O. (as in many other large cities) there is a lot of black on black crime, which curiously doesn't get much play. But recently when there were some white victims here there were (as happened on occasions before) press conferences about new initiatives on crime (by some of our own "black" leaders) and rallies on crime, etc. which prompted a local sheriff in one of our surrounding suburbs to make the public observation that the only time everyone gets excited about crime around here is when the victims are white. And mind you, this comment was made by Harry Lee, a local sheriff who himself has been often accused of racist statements. And he was absolutely correct. So you see, double standards play both ways.

With regard to B.E.T. and the humor on there: I think our black comedians do a pretty good job of poking fun at our own kind (and often mercilessly so) thanky very much. Can't call that a double standard.

(Is there a spell checker on here so next time i won't end up spelling words like privilege and clientele all crappy-like?)

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Im torn on this one...

I don't agree with what the Klan stands for...

but, I have to give it to them for being able to collectively stand up and shout out for what they believe in...

Thats more than alot of regular ol americans are doing.
(About everything)

How long are we gonna sit and watch as illegal imigrants take our jobs, get full benefits of social security and welfare programs, get free schooling, and every other kind of free assistance?
If theyre going to come here, then they are going to WORK for their citizenship like every other american has to.
They should pay taxes, pay INTO social security, and NOT be able to draw on it until they are into their 60s, and having inputed funds for a minimum of 15 years.
They want to be an american so bad - then let them play by the SAME rules as every one else. I'm sick of supporting lazy ass bastards hitching a free ride, meanwhile I struggle and get told NO to every assistance that I qualify for.

The flag is burning just as much as the cross in the front yards, it's just who chooses to acknowledge the fire.