Knighthood for Salman Rushdie.....

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
An extract from the guardian commentary.

John Sutherland emeritus professor of literature said

"It's astonishing that Tony Blair, among others, has been so reluctant to be seen shaking Rushdie's hand, and here he is getting a knighthood from the Queen,"

<...>

"Public figures have been very, very reluctant to support Rushdie, particularly when he was under direct threat of assassination. It's a brave and entirely commendable decision by the people who advise the Queen - I would be curious to know if the recommendation came directly from Downing Street, though."

The perhaps predicable response:

"TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran accused Britain on Sunday of insulting Islam by awarding a knighthood to Salman Rushdie, whose novel "The Satanic Verses" prompted the late Iranian Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to issue a fatwa death warrant for him.

<...>
Spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said

"Honouring and commending an apostate and hated figure will definitely put the British officials (in a position) of confrontation with Islamic societies,"

<...>

"This act shows that insulting Islamic sacred (values) is not accidental. It is planned, organised, guided and supported by some Western countries," he told a regular briefing.

<..>
Hosseini said: "Giving a badge to one of the most hated figures in Islamic society is ... an obvious example of fighting against Islam by high-ranking British officials."

Iran condemns knighthood for author Rushdie - Yahoo! News UK

To my shame, I've not read any of his work but I assume some here have and so may be able to comment on the merits (or not) of this award, and/or the merits of Tehran's response.

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It amases me that...what is it? 20 years?...after the publication of "The Satanic Verses", Islamic leaders can't get over it!

For fuck sake, it was a work of fiction!

And, those who condenmed Rushdie to a phatwah didn't even read the book!!

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The news is a mix of good and bad.

Rushdie is horribly overrated. That's the bad news.

Mohammad Ali Hosseini may be right that this is pissing on the sensibilities of the more homicidal Muslims. Well, it's about goddamn time somebody did. That's the good news.

stretcher74

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
An extract from the guardian commentary.

John Sutherland emeritus professor of literature said

"It's astonishing that Tony Blair, among others, has been so reluctant to be seen shaking Rushdie's hand, and here he is getting a knighthood from the Queen,"

<...>

"Public figures have been very, very reluctant to support Rushdie, particularly when he was under direct threat of assassination. It's a brave and entirely commendable decision by the people who advise the Queen - I would be curious to know if the recommendation came directly from Downing Street, though."

The perhaps predicable response:

"TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran accused Britain on Sunday of insulting Islam by awarding a knighthood to Salman Rushdie, whose novel "The Satanic Verses" prompted the late Iranian Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to issue a fatwa death warrant for him.

<...>
Spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said

"Honouring and commending an apostate and hated figure will definitely put the British officials (in a position) of confrontation with Islamic societies,"

<...>

"This act shows that insulting Islamic sacred (values) is not accidental. It is planned, organised, guided and supported by some Western countries," he told a regular briefing.

<..>
Hosseini said: "Giving a badge to one of the most hated figures in Islamic society is ... an obvious example of fighting against Islam by high-ranking British officials."

Iran condemns knighthood for author Rushdie - Yahoo! News UK

To my shame, I've not read any of his work but I assume some here have and so may be able to comment on the merits (or not) of this award, and/or the merits of Tehran's response.

No shame involved. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be up for knighthood under regular circumstances. I tried to read the Satanic Verses and quite frankly it's a jumble and poorly written as has been said here. Starts with a guy falling out a plane and moves on to well ... I can't even remember. There's an underlying premise related to passages of the koran the terrorist mohammed later recanted while he was going through a grumpy period.

That said, the reluctance of British Public figures to be seen with him is cowardly. To the Iranians: we're all apostates here, and proud of it.

If you're interested in an Indian who can write, try Michael Ondaatje(sp), whom I've met a couple of times. Anything but the English Patient is readable. There is a delicacy and intricacy bordering on the feminine in these Indian Writers in English, which is why I don't read that much of them. On an unrelated note, Ondaatje's trophy blond wife is a fox. Some women really do dig the tweedy professor type.

Put down the penis pump and pick up a pen!

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Maybe we should issue fattywhores on anyone burning our flags and screaming for our destruction. Puerile demagoguery as usual.

I can't see why he has been knighted, he is a very bright guy but I find his writing like swimming through treacle.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If you're interested in an Indian who can write, try Michael Ondaatje(sp), whom I've met a couple of times. Anything but the English Patient is readable. There is a delicacy and intricacy bordering on the feminine in these Indian Writers in English, which is why I don't read that much of them. On an unrelated note, Ondaatje's trophy blond wife is a fox. Some women really do dig the tweedy professor type.

Good taste you have there, but what does a Canadian author
have in common with Salman Rushdie ????

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Satanic Verses is shit, Midnight's Children is a work of art.

You wouldn't believe they were written by the same person.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The news is a mix of good and bad.

Rushdie is horribly overrated. That's the bad news.

Mohammad Ali Hosseini may be right that this is pissing on the sensibilities of the more homicidal Muslims. Well, it's about goddamn time somebody did. That's the good news.

Indeed - Rushdie is well overrated - but then so are knighthoods - seems every fucker has one these days..

Yes I have to agree on the 2nd part too - I'm all for respecting the religion of others but, on a slight tangent, I have a severe problem with many Muslims generally, and the Saudis imparticular, jumping up and down and shouting "respect our religion, respect our religion" when possessing the Bible is banned in Saudi Arabia*, the religion's spiritual homeland.

Satanic Verses is shit, Midnight's Children is a work of art.

You wouldn't believe they were written by the same person.

Well - I wouldn't go so far as to say MC is a 'work of art' but it is certainly his best and the only one of his I'd recommend. Satan Verses though is a steaming pile...

* Any religious text except the Koran, to be more precise: "The importation and use of narcotics, alcohol, pork products and religious books, apart from the Koran, and artefacts are forbidden." (From the UK foreign office site on visiting Saudi)

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I didn't get all the way through 'Satanic Verses' either, 'es laesst sich nicht lesen'. I think we might never have heard of him, if it weren't for the for the ayatullah's fatwa.
Seems very impolitic to me as well to make him a CBE(I presume, I didn't notice which degree).

You receive a certificate (suitable for framing).

(from my grandfather's, so of course,somewhat out of date, I don't think the wording has changed, but signed Elizabeth R. and Phillip, rather than George R. and Mary R.)

(countersigned upper right) George R.

'George the Sixth by the Grace of God of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the seas, King, defender of the faith, and Sovereign of the Most Excellent order of the British Empire to Captain Herman Franklin Gingrich United States Navy, Greeting.
'Wheras We have thought fit to nominate and appoint you to be an Honarary Commander of the Military Division of Our said Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, We do by these presents grant unto you the Dignity of an Honarary Commander of our said Order and hereby authorize you to hold and enjoy the said Dignity and Rank of an Honarary Commander of Our aforesaid Order, together with all and singular the priveleges therunto appertaining.
'Given at Our Court at Saint James under Our Sign Manual, and the Seal of Our Said Order this Sixteenth day of August 1948 in the Twelth year of Our Reign.
'By the Sovereign's Command,
'Mary R.
'Grand Master.

(lower left)
'Grant of the dignity of an Honary Commander of the Military Division of the Order of the British Empire to Captain Herman Franklin Gingrich, USN.'

If I remember, the order has a chapel at St. Pauls, there is an annual ceremonial service, attended by the grand master of the order, the duke of Edinburgh and the soverign of the order. Holders of the first degree of the order are entitled to walk in procession wearing the robes of the order, and a chain. British and empire subjects of the first 3 degrees of the order who receive the accolade (tapped on the shoulder with her father's naval sword) in the palace throneroom from the monarch personally, are entitled to call themselves sir. And get photographed in the palace. That's about it.
(the medals without certificate sell for about $300. on ebay)