Know of a good detective novel?

D_Dick_S_Lapp

Account Disabled
Media
Going to start getting in the habit of reading. Problem is, i can't get into the normal books i see. Or usual...rather. The last good book i read was a splice between noir and sci fi. Loved it too. So, anyone have any good detective/noir/dark book suggestions?

TaigaStar

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Not so much a detective novel, but there's a book called Angelology by Danielle Trussoni that I just finished and it was awesome. It's a historical fiction, but has that mystery of "what's going on?" in it as well.

D_Dick_S_Lapp

Account Disabled
Media
I know it's kinda irrelevant, but if you haven't read The Shining yet then you should definitely check that out.

Other than that I don't really know. Sherlock Holmes series perhaps?

Sounds like a good idea. I've seen the movie but haven't read the book. It'll go on the list :) along with some Holmes. Know of any specific Holmes title's that are good?

D_Dick_S_Lapp

Account Disabled
Media
Have you read anything by P.D.James? I enjoy her. Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot novels are fun reads, too. Check out Dick Francis while you're at it.

Thanks. Haven't read anything by P.D. James yet but i can see that she'll expand the hell out of my list lol. As well as the other Authors you've named. Looks like i got a whole lot of good reading to do :biggrin1:

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Have you read anything by P.D.James? I enjoy her. Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot novels are fun reads, too. Check out Dick Francis while you're at it.

Awesome suggestions. Agatha Christie also wrote the "Tommy and Tuppance" series of mystery novels, that are also fun 1920s period pieces. Another of the 1920s era mystery sleuths are the Lord Peter Wimsey novels by Dorothy L. Sayers.

Some of Christie's and Sayers' titles are available free on manybooks.net because they're out of copyright. There are also most, if not all, of the "canon" of A.C. Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories on manybooks.net. There's e-readers for iPhones and iTouch devices, as well as the Nook/Kindle/whatever readers.

El_Burro

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You might like Iain Banks. His work is somewhat Joycean, but not to the degree of Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds.
Feersum Endjinn was the first one I read by him and I loved it! The Bridge was a bit slower and I have yet to start Inversions.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
I love a good mystery novel.....The Miss Marple's are good escapes. The BBc-one has updated Sherlock Holmes and it's one of my favorite shows, but that's tv not reading.

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes, mitt romney's book. See if you can find any clue if he is anything even close to human. So far , i have had no luck reading this tripe.