Koenigsegg Just Dropped Saab

I'm sad. I was hoping Koenigsegg would save Saab from the evil clutches of GM but no such luck.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Koenigsegg are fantastic what a shame. Saab will probably just descend ever further into dullness now.

I'm just going to continue to save for my Bugatti Veyron and forget any other kind of car exists ;)

Koenigsegg are fantastic what a shame. Saab will probably just descend ever further into dullness now.

I'm just going to continue to save for my Bugatti Veyron and forget any other kind of car exists ;)

Yeah, I can see the Veyron doing really well bouncing down one and a half lane roads with the hedgerows slapping the $20,000 paint job just as you come over a hill to find a white box truck coming the opposite way. In the rain.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Jeez, Hilly! Take me for a ride someday? :biggrin1:

FWIW, Saab hasn't been Saab in a very long time. I remember when they offered a real alternative in performance and styling; now they're just another car.

Jeez, Hilly! Take me for a ride someday? :biggrin1:

FWIW, Saab hasn't been Saab in a very long time. I remember when they offered a real alternative in performance and styling; now they're just another car.

Saab was gutted by GM, firing most of its workers including the engineers, and it just became another badge and platform factory despite promises by GM it wouldn't.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I had a 1988 Saab 900. It went ok, was very comfortable and had a great road feel. It was two years old when I bought it and three years old when I got rid of it. It was very unreliable and cost a fortune in parts and labour. I liked it, but I couldn't afford to own it.

I'm disappointed. The Swedes probably feel much as the Brits did when MG-Rover Group was gutted by BMW. They nicked MINI and LR technology, wrote down development expenses to Rover...then shafted em. :(

I cant see what future there is for Saab now. It would take a lot of investment to turn it around. It's a shame, cos I love the 9-5 replacement.

I had a 1988 Saab 900. It went ok, was very comfortable and had a great road feel. It was two years old when I bought it and three years old when I got rid of it. It was very unreliable and cost a fortune in parts and labour. I liked it, but I couldn't afford to own it.

Well yes, but that's not the point. Saabs routinely crapped out with horrendously expensive parts and labor costs. It's part of their charm. Third time I've said it here but it's true: as my Saab mechanic with the PhD said, "Saabs are 90% genius and 10% what-the-fuck-were-they-thinking?!?!"

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well yes, but that's not the point. Saabs routinely crapped out with horrendously expensive parts and labor costs. It's part of their charm. Third time I've said it here but it's true: as my Saab mechanic with the PhD said, "Saabs are 90% genius and 10% what-the-fuck-were-they-thinking?!?!"
Oh, I know what you mean. As I said, I owned one and liked it. It's sad if they go under.
But like my mum said, "Charm will only take you so far". There has to be something there to back it up. The writing has been on the wall since before GM bought Saab. Their home market is too small to support them and they could never compete with the likes of BMW. Add a thin dealer network and a rep for unreliability and it means no profits. GM tried to turn Saab in to a Euro version of Pontiac... Opels with lockwashers. Everything blanded down like all their products.

But hey, I like those Koenigseggs. How much for one of those babies?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Yeah, I can see the Veyron doing really well bouncing down one and a half lane roads with the hedgerows slapping the $20,000 paint job just as you come over a hill to find a white box truck coming the opposite way. In the rain.

I haven't seen a hedgerow in years :biggrin1: Oh and I'm going to have the Bugatti Veyron par Hermes so the paint job will be considerably more than 20,000 bugatti.com - Bugatti Veyron Fbg par Hermès

:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

chamisaguy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I haven't seen a hedgerow in years :biggrin1: Oh and I'm going to have the Bugatti Veyron par Hermes so the paint job will be considerably more than 20,000 bugatti.com - Bugatti Veyron Fbg par Hermès

I lost the links to the recent Texas story over here with pictures -- about the Bugatti Veyron owner who was "distracted by a low-flying gull/pelican" and drove his $2 million car off the road into a Texas salt-water shallows! Oy! I read the crash/splash photos were amazing! :frown1:

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I lost the links to the recent Texas story over here with pictures -- about the Bugatti Veyron owner who was "distracted by a low-flying gull/pelican" and drove his $2 million car off the road into a Texas salt-water shallows! Oy! I read the crash/splash photos were amazing! :frown1:

This one by any chance?

EXCLUSIVE: Video Of Bugatti Veyron Actually Crashing Into Texas Lake - Bugatti Veyron - Jalopnik

Low-flying bird MY ARSE! :biggrin1:

If it was a large pair of TITS, maybe a good excuse :wink:

Certainly a few ideas knocking about, as to why the guy ditched it: Video Of Bugatti Veyron Actually Crashing Into Texas Lake - Fruit Forums

Last edited:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media

Still if you are going to crash a car in to a lake you might as well make it a Veyron, it's a great story to tell over dinner :tongue: The thing must have been insured up the wazzoo so that's probably the origin of the "Low flying bird" story as opposed to "Low flying knockers" :tongue:

Haven't been east lately I take it?

The interior leather of that Hermes edition is the exact color of something that comes out of babies. I think it's revolting and all those Hermes logos are a bit vulgar. It reminds me of the Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition. Still, if you like it, then more power to you.

Oh, I know what you mean. As I said, I owned one and liked it. It's sad if they go under.
But like my mum said, "Charm will only take you so far". There has to be something there to back it up. The writing has been on the wall since before GM bought Saab. Their home market is too small to support them and they could never compete with the likes of BMW. Add a thin dealer network and a rep for unreliability and it means no profits. GM tried to turn Saab in to a Euro version of Pontiac... Opels with lockwashers. Everything blanded down like all their products.

But hey, I like those Koenigseggs. How much for one of those babies?

Your mother, wise saint that she surely is, completely underestimated your charm :wink:.

Yes, Saab needed GM at the time. GM promised they wouldn't touch anything, promised that they'd retain the Saab uniqueness, promised that it would all be exactly as it was only with more resources to clean-up the rough edges. It was all bullshit. At least in the US, Saab had a very loyal customer base particularly here in the northeast and particularly amongst engineers, architects, teachers, and other left-brained sorts. As soon as GM entered the picture and it became clear that platform engineering was the order of the day, Saab lost that base and their sales plummeted.

I was very enthusiastic for the possible Saab/Subaru pairing. The two companies are very similar in many respects and I think it could have been a great match had they done anything other than the Saaburu which was just a rebadged Impreza with a hefty mark-up. Both companies are a bit odd, Saab needed AWD, Subaru needed cachet, both know turbocharging, both made practical utility cars, Saab needed Subaru's gewgaws and dealer network, Subaru needed Saab's design sense and larger body (the 9000 was huge inside and the assembly line building in Japan is old with interior pillars that restricted the width of the cars they could make). I'm still hoping FHI will consider purchasing Saab but there really isn't much left in Trollhattan (or Turku) to purchase in terms of staff. They'd have to work at reassembling a professional staff.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Haven't been east lately I take it?

The interior leather of that Hermes edition is the exact color of something that comes out of babies. I think it's revolting and all those Hermes logos are a bit vulgar. It reminds me of the Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition. Still, if you like it, then more power to you.

It comes in other colours, the display one is a iffy colour I agree. I don't mind the Hermes logos, but you can have them toned down too, it's all about bespoke. :wink::smile:

And no I haven't been east recently, east of here is the Irish sea and then Wales :eek: Land of my fathers. I've not been west either, actually I hate the countryside but that's another topic altogether. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

It comes in other colours, the display one is a iffy colour I agree. I don't mind the Hermes logos, but you can have them toned down too, it's all about bespoke. :wink::smile:

And no I haven't been east recently, east of here is the Irish sea and then Wales :eek: Land of my fathers. I've not been west either, actually I hate the countryside but that's another topic altogether. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Oh. I assumed you were in the Burren area, like maybe Galway, since you mentioned not being in hedgerows at all lately and you seem the Galway type. Guess you're in Dublin then. That's good. Great city if they can ever fix the damned traffic. If I get over there soon, and I should, we'll have to have a M&G for the Irish members.

I take it you've seen James May's clip of going all out in the Veyron? It's a magnificent piece that really captures the feeling of the speed the car is capable of. I really enjoyed it.

Hermes is going slumming these days here. It's become a darling of the trashy celebrity set so I'm not so inclined to purchase their goods. Oh if I needed a good saddle (happily I don't like horses) or an attractive scarf for a lady (not likely), then certainly, but otherwise... meh. I like that special edition in French racing blue and stainless but I wonder if reflections would be a problem. I think I'd likely stick with a nice royal purple or navy over white.

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Oh. I assumed you were in the Burren area, like maybe Galway, since you mentioned not being in hedgerows at all lately and you seem the Galway type. Guess you're in Dublin then. That's good. Great city if they can ever fix the damned traffic. If I get over there soon, and I should, we'll have to have a M&G for the Irish members.

*Shivers* Galway, brrrrr. Dublin YAY, yes we absolutely must do a Dublin M&G next time you're over, we'll do nice lunch or something :smile:

I take it you've seen James May's clip of going all out in the Veyron? It's a magnificent piece that really captures the feeling of the speed the car is capable of. I really enjoyed it.

I know, amazing, everything with the Veyron is in silly figures and unbelievable quantities. Watching it at work is strange.

Hermes is going slumming these days here. It's become a darling of the trashy celebrity set so I'm not so inclined to purchase their goods. Oh if I needed a good saddle (happily I don't like horses) or an attractive scarf for a lady (not likely), then certainly, but otherwise... meh. I like that special edition in French racing blue and stainless but I wonder if reflections would be a problem. I think I'd likely stick with a nice royal purple or navy over white.

Ah well I don't hold their clientele against them, I've always loved Hermes for leather goods and fragrances, and the connection with Carriage makers is a part of the charm of their Veyron makeover. I saw a Veyron par Hermes interior in pale violet with the exterior in black and silver in London last year, it was dreamy. I love the grill on the par Hermes.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Things were much nicer and more pleasant back in 1320 when the automobile hadn't been invented yet and people were content with what their feet could do in bringing them places. Not enough people care about walking anymore.

Oh, for the olden days when people weren't wrapped up in devices that destroy the atmosphere and future of peoplekind.