Komen Reverses Funding Decision! YAY!

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by B_Sexual_Harrassment_Panda, Feb 3, 2012.

1. B_Sexual_Harrassment_Panda

The Susan G. Komen For The Cure has decided to FUND Planned Parenthood in their breast screening services offered to American women! YAY!

Earlier this week, Komen announced they would NOT continue the funding to the Planned Parenthood. I guess that the public outcry and several groups petitioning Komen to reverse their decision WORKED! YAY!

This is a VICTORY for women (and men!) everywhere!!

SAVE THE TA-TAs!!!!

2. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    It sure did backfire on their agenda, too. According to one article I read, Komen donated $680,000 per year to Planned Parenthood in NYC. Within the first 24 hours after Komen announced it would pull funding, Planned Parenthood in NYC received $400,000 in donations from individuals and $250,000 from mayor Bloomberg's personal account! That's $650,000 in one day!

So by trying to defund Planned Parenthood, Komen effectively raised a truckloads of money for them! :lmao:

#2 petite, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    What a boneheaded organization. Their money doesn't even fund abortions, which was their excuse for pulling it in the first place. Meanwhile it resulted in massive unrestricted donations that can be put towards all services including abortions. Way to screw your own agenda, Komen.

4. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    No kidding!

And I was incorrect before. I misunderstood. The $680,000 went to all Planned Parenthood, not just NYC. Planned Parenthood says that they have received $3 million in donations in the past three days.

Here is an articles about the whole debacle:

Disgrace for the cure News, Video and Gossip - Jezebel

And something I missed before, Komen also halted $12 million in embryonic stem cell research:

Komen Halted Funding for $12 Million in Stem Cell Research Like We Wouldn't Notice [UPDATED]

#4 petite, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  5. galaxus

galaxus Member

Good things do happen.

6. sizequeenNY

sizequeenNY New Member

Albums:
    I am in NY and a Planned Parenthood patient. They have the best women's services for the un and under insured. Every time I had a full exam it has included a breast exam and the nurse practitioner shows you how to self exam. I am really happy the funding is continued. Planned Parenthood in NJ lost a lot of funding last year so it would have put a huge dent in services- the Hackensack location is above Gilda's Club and they also do breast exam for every patient

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yeah, but now they're putting money into a PINK HANDGUN. I got my eye on them, and am going to think hard before they get any more of my money.

8. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wha? Komen is making pink hand guns? poo hah on them. :frown:

9. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Komen is a right wing organization, headed by a staunch republican with a bad facelift.
    An unusually high percentage of their donations go to the salaries and benefits packages offered their core executives. They also DO NOT SUPPORT CANCER CAUSATION/PREVENTION RESEARCH,... and ALL their funding over all these years has not resulted in any significant improvement of pre-screen detection leading to better outcomes. More frequent mammograms have not resulted in significantly better outcomes overall.

The woman blamed was HIRED by Brinker for her similar political beliefs... and they targeted Planned Parenthood for defunding because the GOP has decided to go after Planned Parenthood, this election, like they went after ACORN, last election.

So this defunding was nothing more than a cheap political attempt to turn up the heat on an organization that does a LOT more good than Komen has ever done. And it was done to help undercut public support of planned parenthood...

It is a sad commentary that Breast Cancer Research gets vastly more endorsements and donations and "events" than any other form of cancer research, despite the fact that lung cancer is far and away the most prevalent and deadly cancer.
    Basically... this is because Breast Cancer causes have the word BREAST in them. And Boobs are such focal points of interest for both women and men...

However... this does make any charity targeting boobs into a VERY lucrative enterprise. Breast cancer is the sexiest of causes.
    Brinker has made herself quite wealthy on the back of her sister's cancer...

Donating money to Komen is the Same as donating it to the GOP since the organization actively supports conservative agendas targeting women's rights over their own bodies, and women's access to birth control.

If you want to support cancer research, give the money to organizations that study ALL forms of cancer.

And BTW- they DID NOT RE-FUND Planned Parenthood.

They simply reversed the decision to make them ineligible for grants.

Meaning Planned Parenthood is free to APPLY, next year... and Komen is free to Decline... once the media spotlight is pointing elsewhere.

#9 Phil Ayesho, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  10. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I don't think it's the "breast" that has made Komen successful, just that they've had a more successful marketing campaign. The decision to make that particular shade of pink represent their cause, then teaming up with companies to market pink items, which meant those companies marketed Komen on their behalf to make themselves look more sympathetic to important causes, was simply genius.

11. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Sure... But similar tricks don't net similar results... They didn't invent the "colored ribbon" trick... that dates back to the Iran Hostage crisis Yellow Ribbon campaigns...
    And Komen ain't the only breast cancer charity out there, and they ALL perform better than competing charities for diseases that don't have the word "breast" in them.

The fact is that the same marketing advisers that put images of Breasts into advertising, are more likely to recommend a percentage deal with a charity that allows them to put the WORD breast on their products... or associate them in any way with the psychological concept of healthy happy breasts.
    Its a win win... no one want the mental image of prostate health associated with their product... everyone want their product associated with women's breasts. oohh, you mean we get to look like a Good guy to women ( who spend most money) AND put the word Breast on our product?

So... yeah, its "genius"... about as genius as being able to understand the appeal of HOOTERS advertising, and why women's magazines show as many bare breasts as do Mens magazines.

12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Do all breast cancer charities outperform all other charities, not just Komen?

I was curious to see if you were actually right, because if you were, well that's not where all the money should go. You're right, breast cancer isn't the single biggest killer out there, so I looked on the BBB website to discover how much income each cancer charity receives. There are a lot more breast cancer groups out there than I was aware of, but only two cancer charities receive more than $100 million, and one of them is Komen. After that, charitable giving is all over the board.

American Cancer Society
    $396,118,000

Susan G. Komen for the Cure
    $292,571,028

CureSearch
    $75,221,276

American Association for Cancer Research
    $74,575,959

National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund
    $4,354,064

Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization
    $10,884,325

United Breast Cancer Foundation
    $2,498,704

Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization
    $10,884,325

Breast Cancer Fund
    $3,367,070

Children's Cancer Research Fund
    $10,242,410

Cancer Research Institute
    $17,676,996

American Institute for Cancer Research
    $34,040,108

V Foundation for Cancer Research
    $13,445,613

ZERO: The Project to End Prostate Cancer
    $1,731,940

Prevent Cancer Foundation
    $6,866,269

Prostate Cancer Foundation
    $33,179,244

Ovarian Cancer Research Fund
    $7,606,939

National Lung Cancer Partnership
    $2,353,837

National Foundation for Cancer Research
    $18,470,700

CURE Childhood Cancer
    $2,101,416

National Children's Cancer Society
    $18,754,486

Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
    $2,230,207

Lymphoma Research Foundation
    $6,573,454

American Brain Tumor Association
    $4,111,017

Alliance for Cancer Gene Therapy
    $2,252,672

I wasn't saying that they invented colored ribbons, I was saying that Komen's marketing director deserves kudos for marketing Komen better than the other charities. A charity can't simply pick a colored ribbon and then be done with it. Pairing up with companies to make pink stuff was genius. They got other companies to market Komen for them. It's not just the boobs, it's the corporations that they got on their side, too.

#12 petite, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  13. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Tits are money!

14. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Add up the money given to breast cancer from all sources... its huge.

But more to the point, HOW that money is raised... Very few public corporate endorsements of any other form of cancer research.

Companies do not want to put the brown ribbon of colon cancer on their product, even tho it kills more people.

Its understandable... but when the funding, as with Komen, goes primarily to pay inflated salaries, and to pay for mammograms, which have been shown to be the least effective use of resources in fighting cancer... then you have to wonder.

The money going to lung cancer is from other sources, and it is generally spent on raw cancer research... that might cure ANY form of cancer, including breast cancer.

Organizations like Komen get an outsize share of charitable donations... but they specifically limit allocation of those donations to only those areas meant to benefit detection of breast cancer... which causes as many health problems as it mitigates.

People only give so much money in charity... they don't give equally... and once a person has given to one or two charities, they tend to feel they have done their part and can't afford more.

Given the facts... money given to Komen is essentially money DIVERTED from the kind of real research that may contribute to a "CURE".

Early detection is not a cure... its a license to treat with the same therapies that have not changed much in 30 years... BECAUSE of lack of money spent studying the root causes of cancer.

Komen is an ill considered lip service to helping women that is mostly about helping its directors.

15. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

PS- the money spent by Komen on screening would absolutely save more lives if it went to pay for the TREATMENT of cancer in women without adequate health insurance.

Draft saved Draft deleted