Korean Pride and Shame - VA Shooting

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV, Apr 17, 2007.

1. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

I live in New York City and most of my friends are Korean. I hang out with my Korean people a lot and its usually 7-10 of us who just hang out and play poker, or go out to shoot pool, bowl, etc. They're all overly proud of being Korean, and when any Korean does something good they take immense pride in it, whether it be Korean scientists cloning, Korean baseball players, etc. So I was curious now that a horrible event involving a Korean male has taken place, what were their feelings if any.

I don't know if it surprises me but they all claimed that they weren't following this, didn't know, etc. When I told them it was a Korean 23 year old who killed over 30 people they didn't have very strong reactions, so I just bluntly asked "Does this effect your Korean pride at all?" and they all brushed it off saying one bad person doesn't drag down a whole nation of people.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with that. But in their cases where they praise to no end any Korean who accomplishes something, I would think they should also feel hurt or bothered when a member of their people does something shameful like this. It doesn't bother me that they choose to ignore the negative, but I'm just wondering if what they're doing is normal or should over zealous patriots feel shamed when a person does something like this shooting?

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Maybe they do, and are just ashamed (if thats even the right word?)

3. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

If they are your friends, you should know better than to make them lose face. They will be deeply shamed, they deserve your support as a friend by reaffirming your friendship to them. I will do the same with my Korean friends.

4. Panda Bear

Panda Bear New Member

yeah... it just a brush off... when you explained how they brushed it off... sounds like it did effects them.

I'm asian and it effects me, though i'm not korean. Just the fact that hes asian. I dont take "that" much great pride in what Asians accomplish or what they fail at, but this action agiants those students was just sad...

5. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

I didn't want them to feel bad, but I did expect them to which seems not to be the case. I think as a younger generation they just have that ability to only focus on good things. As a Mets fan through the horrible 90's, I talked similarly as they do but instead of pride in a nation it was with my team. The Mets were horrible for the most part in the 90's but I still spoke as much good as I could whenever an opportunity would present itself. Then when the Braves would beat the Mets 16-0 I would brush it off and ignore it. I think this is what they're doing.

Again, its not a big issue and its not like I want them to feel bad. I was simply curious but now I slightly understand them a little more.

6. Panda Bear

Panda Bear New Member

I'm sure they didn't take it personaly...

7. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    The shooter had lived in the U.S. for the last 15 years, since he was 8.
    His actions are not a reflection of Korea, or Koreans. It is a result of growing up in the U.S. of A . Where guns are plentifull.

8. mindseye

Gold Member

Why stir the race pot here?

The shooter was also a Capricorn. Do you ask your Capricorn friends whether his shooting reflects on them?

9. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    He didn't say that he was throwing it in their faces he just said that they praise their race for doing good things and he wanted to know how they felt when someone from their race did a bad thing.

10. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

If his friends were always bragging about how flippin' wonderful, in all possible ways, their fellow Capricorns were, it might be worth considering doing just that.

Not that it would be very productive.

11. joe2

joe2 New Member

Albums:
    Guns don't kill people, koreans kill people.

12. KinG916

KinG916 Member

Albums:
    why should they feel like they need to be brought down by one person? let them have their pride.

13. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

As a Capricorn, I am deeply offended. I would protest outside your house for your resignation but as a Capricorn I'm too lazy and unmotivated to do anything about it.

14. Nitrofiend

Nitrofiend New Member

Am I supposed to feel ashamed of being a light-skinned guy when another light-skinned guy shoots up a place? Fuck you! As if I have any connection whatsoever to that asshole. Why would Koreans feel any different about Cho Seung-Hui? Way to bring up racial tension! I hate racial pride in all its incarnations. Rediculous.

15. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is unfortunate that it is likely to exaserbate the country's xenophobia epidemic.

16. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

Chill out with the cursing, my whole point and question was my Korean friends specifically show such pride for no reason other that the person in question is Korean. I found it logical to think that they *might* feel shame for no reason other that the person in question is Korean. This whole topic is dealing with extreme pride, not average people like you and I. Of course most people realize one person doesn't drag down a group of people. And I don't mean random Koreans in general, I mean my friends and how they act with their extreme pride.

17. Nitrofiend

Nitrofiend New Member

If they're that extreme in their Korean pride, then yes, it's likely that they are ashamed by this skid mark in their reputation. As such, it is probable that they'd simply not wish to discuss it. I just can't relate to such extreme feelings. Nationalism is a negative force no matter how I look at it.

18. DGirl

Gold Member

Thank you!!

My hubby was worried about the same thing. He was like, now people are going to be scared around Asians. I was like, no. I am scared around ANY stranger. Heck, they can be a women for all I care. If, I don't know you I will not want to be near you.

19. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

An odd rationalization. Lots of us grow up in the U.S. of A.; and we manage to do so without leaving trails of dead bodies in our wakes, despite those plentiful guns.

20. CPearl

CPearl New Member

I agree. This guy was a nut job. There are nut jobs in every race and in every country.

I think it's perfectly normal for any group to sing the praises of its successful members while disassociating themselves from the notorious among its ranks. It's human nature.

Draft saved Draft deleted