Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, this is rather surprising.....

Read on

Richards -- "I'm Really Busted Up"
Posted Nov 20th 2006 8:05PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Train Wrecks
Michael Richards publicly apologized for his racist tirade in an appearance on "The Late Show," but acknowledged that such sentiment had the potential to "come through and fire out of me." He tried to find an awkward parallel between his ugly rant and conflict that has arisen between blacks and whites since Hurricane Katrina.

Looking sallow, drawn, and speaking in halting fragments, Richards explained via satellite from Los Angeles to David Letterman and friend Jerry Seinfeld in New York, that he had lost his temper after some members of the audience interrupted his act and that he "took it badly," unleashing the racist invective that TMZ first aired this morning. He apologized to the people who took "the brunt" of his abuse, saying he was "really busted up," but then went on a strange tangent on race relations, saying he was "concerned about hate and rage" and about a "great deal of disturbance between blacks and whites" after Hurricane Katrina.

Richards did not say whether any other factors contributed to his actions, adding only that he would be doing "personal work" in the aftermath of the incident.

Audience members in the Ed Sullivan Theater, who were watching Richards on a screen, began laughing at Richards at first, thinking that the interview was a comedy skit, until Seinfeld admonished them, saying, "Stop laughing. It's not funny."

Hryblkone

Sexy Member
Media
Michael Richards Has Huge Balls...

... but a tiny penis for going on that racial tirade. If the audience member was interrupting his act why didn't he just tell him to "shut the fuck up -I'm working here!" Mos def his career is OVAH!

Gain on 10

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
George Lopez was kind to him and pointed out he's an actor, not a working stand up comic. A working comic would know how to handle that situation correctly without ruining his career or "walking" the room.

I perform stand up comedy professionally and it the hardest of all the art forms. You'd be surprised how many people think they can do it.

TitanicJake

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stand up comedy is difficult. However, any reasonable person can handle a heckler without using the N word and going on a tirade. Everyone in life loses their cool. However, there is no excuse for his actions. I have no respect for him. He actually used to perform on stage with a stupid routine before Seinfeld. He was on with Johnny Carson.
I believe some of his anger is from the realization that the only work he can get on tv these days is to be on Dancing with the Stars. That show is like The Love Boat of TV. When you can't get work anywhere you go there.
Jake

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Honey, I've taught public school. Stand-up ain't nothing.

That's definitely true. Musician George Clinton was quoted as saying, "Teachers work harder than you, no matter what you do." (or something close)

What I want to hear is what the heckler(s) said prior to that video clip. Maybe Richards's tirade was uncalled for, maybe it wasn't.

Sam Kinison (actual comedian, not a funny actor doing standup) had a heckler on one of his live albums. The guy said, "Speak up, man!" Kinison shut him down in a hurry, going, "That's what I heard your mom say as I was leaving her house this morning; but I couldn't quite understand her, because she had my cum gargling in her mouth, so she sounded like 'Sglalmalamm! Doglnl't fonrgnlglnt tglubo spglblek uphmplp!'" (uproarious laughter, and he continues with that garbled voice) ".. and tell my son not to fuck with your act!"

I think that audiences everywhere are more brazen & hostile than they used to be. I still think Richards probably went too far, but I knew something like this would happen, too. Almost reminds me of that Pistons game, except without the punches.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
Was not gonna say anything as this was super painful to watch - endearing comic genius gone awry. Something to be said for the "actor on a high pressure stand-up comedy stage" thing, but heckled or not - inexcusable. That was no weak improv to be shrugged off, or a Lenny Bruce/Andy Kaufman-style stunt. That was fucked up.

Need more video to judge, though. Context is important.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow,
The first thing that came to my mind was that Michael Richards was having an "out of mind" experience. I am sure the man was working his nerves but that was just crazy. I do believe his career may have gone the way of Paul Rubens'. I think he will have many days to reflect upon what the word "Nigger" really means to him....

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Calling women bitches is uncalled for as well. Calling Germans "nazis" is uncalled for as well. Calling Italians "wops" is uncalled for as well. Calling Jews "money-hungry" is uncalled for as well. Calling all Muslims "terrorists" is uncalled for as well.

It is not forbidden to call a someone a "motherfuckin' bitch" in this country. If that isn't derogatory towards women, I don't know what is.

If America wants to ban certain words, ban all words offensive to all cultures, religions, genders and races. Play fair. No picking and choosing.

In 100 years, maybe "bitch" will be banned in America after we will have realized how demeaning that word is in relation to the female gender (no better than a dog). :rolleyes:

All ethnic jokes should be banned. All slurs pertaining to different cultures and religions as well gender should be banned. Let's apply the rules across the board.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
THank you. I loved that clip. THe difference is that Chris Rock is talking about his own. It is like the NASCAR comedians or Cable guy. Michael Richards was not even amusing. It was just basically in need of medication.

Another hater (this one gets away with it).​

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fucking wow. Michael Richards really surprised me with that one.
You'd have thought that seemingly an intelligent guy like Richards wouldn't degrade himself to using such a hurtful racial epitet like that, but then again, some shrinks tend to think that highly emotional situations can reveal a hidden truth about someone that even they didn't know they were capable of.

It amazes me that Michael Richards used the term, "nigger" so liberally, but just show to goe you, don't it.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It occured to me that George Allen never had a proper Bar Mitzvah -- I bet Michael Richards just made the short list to perform there.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe Michael Richards and Mel Gibson will be able to keep each other company in the unemployment line.

MonsterUncut

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
WOW. Watch the video of him explode. It was harsher than I was expecting.

I agree, this was much more harsh than expected. I heard him say during his apology on Letterman, that "it's sad, sometimes those kind of words just come out", I disagree, he knew it would be hurtful, but not just to the heckler, but to all that have heard it. Luckily for Sienfeld, it happened after the show was dropped, or the ratings would have fallen like a lead balloon. Just no excuse at all!!!!!!

Peace

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
LOL. I bet he'll be checking to rehab next.

Was it just my connection or were those red fucking subtitles pointless? They were all blurry

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe Michael Richards and Mel Gibson will be able to keep each other company in the unemployment line.
It'svery quite possible; misery does deserve company.:rolleyes:

LOL. I bet he'll be checking to rehab next.

Was it just my connection or were those red fucking subtitles pointless? They were all blurry
Nah, my connection was fine, and I think that MR's red subtitles were added as an expression of anger.