Krav Maga

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by WellHung83, May 3, 2008.

1. WellHung83

Gold Member

Albums:
    has anyone tried or doing this martial art ? How is it and is it good for basic self defence if you get in a tight situation and have to fight your way out of it ? I am looking to take classes here in Melbourne but it sounds rather full on and some of the moves I have seen look really brutal. Is this really tough to learn and execute ?

2. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I haven't taken any classes in Krav Maga, but I have taken some lessons that I think use similar styles based on what I've seen.

It is brutal. It's intended to be so that any conflict is over as quickly as possible. It was also simple to learn.

Unlike the martial arts where form and discipline are the rule and a way of life self defense techniques are designed to get your ass out of danger fast. You don't want to impress your attacker with your skill, you want them out of commission.

It ain't pretty but it's a good idea.

I think you should take the classes. If nothing else you'll enjoy the physicality of it.

3. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

It's too extreme to be an effective martial art that isn't justified in the results. The idea beghin Martial arts is to effective defend yourself and get out alive- not totally main the other guy.

4. WellHung83

Gold Member

Albums:
    Shit. Is it really that brutal ?

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I disagree, Chuck. If the guy is significantly bigger than I am (very likely) I don't want to trade well executed blows with him. I want him down fast. And I want him to stay there so I have adequate time to get away. If I merely flip him he can get back up and attack me again.

If someone is holding a gun to my head (one of the things Krav Maga deals with) I'm not going to feel the least bit sorry I broke his wrist, elbow or knee. I'm not concerned with anyone judging me if I maim the guy. I'm worried about my possible rape or death.

This isn't for points, this isn't for self esteem, this is for self preservation.

It isn't too extreme to be effective. It is effective because it is extreme.

6. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not really.

You'll be learning how to defend yourself with quick and effective techniques. You'll be learning how to get out of holds and grabs. You'll be learning how to injure your attacker so that they won't be following you immediately giving you enough time to escape.

Yes, injure. What do you think your attacker has in mind for you? A friendly chess game?

Put it this way. You're minding your own business when someone jumps you. In 60 seconds one of you is going to be incapacitated. Who would you rather that be?

7. WellHung83

Gold Member

Albums:
    Understand completely, which is why I think I WILL take up Krav Maga and give it my all. It just makes sense when you look at it and how you just said it then. You should not give them the upper hand off the bat and make sure that when you do have to take them down, they STAY down and are not able to get up and counter attack. Plus, once you take out the instigator of the pack mentality, the followers usually loose their nerve and back off.

8. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good for you.

Before I come across as a raving vigilante I'd like to clarify a bit.

In the event of a simple robbery you should give them everything they ask for, wallet, watch, etc. You just don't give them your person.

If they take your money and leave in the leaving your mission is accomplished. Distance from the threat.

Self defence is useful to know. You'll still hope you never need it.

Something else. While Krav Maga may be one of the more brutal forms of self defense you can always chose to what extent you'll use the techniques. There are more genteel forms of self defense, I took nerve impact control techniques which, incidentally, still involved breaking or dislocation of joints. One of the reasons Krav Maga is so extreme is because it deals heavily with defense against attack with a weapon so the stakes are instantly higher. If you find that it doesn't cover defence from unarmed attacks you might want to take additional training that does.

9. classyron

Gold Member

Albums:
    The majority of modern armed forces and police forces in the world owe their effective unarmed combat training, in some part, to Krav Maga. I have been taught a little in my military life and have never had to use it, thankfully. But, the reactions and instinctive movements that it develops over time are invaluable. Any real unarmed combat or defensive training methods train you in how to react. The moves will come from memory, but the reaction time is the life saver. Don't listen to martial arts purists. Krav Maga is brutal and effective, and probably the most realistic martial art or fighting style to learn if you really want to defend yourself.

10. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Don't subscribe to the notion that you should be fighting for life if it's in jeopardy. The idea isn't to totally maim your attacker so he never does it again, it's to stop him to make him realize how much more you can/could do.

That's what Karate taught me. and what you're describing to me sounds like the philosophy of the baddies in The Karate Kid. You know, "Strike hard, Strike first, no mercy!"

11. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    This makes me question the legality. o_o Since, you know, criminals can break into your house then sue you for injury... I suspect the same of attackers, should they knowyour infortmation to a point (your name and where you live, for example).

Edit:Like a crazy ex-boyfriend.

12. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    No?
    Your advice is roll over and die? Should I lift my skirt for him, too?

The Karate Kid? Seriously? This is worse than quoting Oprah.

If ever I'm attacked the very last thing I'll be doing is assuming the crane position. Sorry, Chuck, what you're talking about are ego fights where impressing or intimidating your opponent is about all you need to do.

In cases where your attacker is hopped up on drugs or adrenaline you don't want to dazzle them you want to disable them. You also don't want a prolonged fight with someone who is stronger or has more endurance than you. If your attacker has a knife or a gun you're not safe until it's out of their hands or you are well out of range. These situations don't tend to end with, "cool move, man".

Broken bones heal and joints can be realigned, not that my concern in a situation like this is going to be for my attackers well being. Cripes, if he never does it again...That's a good thing isn't it?

Another reason systems like Krav Maga and others are a good idea. Formal martial arts like Karate and others take years to learn to a point where you'd be effective in a fight. Courses designed purely for self defence will teach you only the effective moves for getting out of an attack.

13. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Any reputable self defence course will also cover the legalities for your jurisdiction.

They'll tell you what constitutes assault and what actions are justifiable.

14. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Gilette and i are the ones with the bullseye on our backs. We are the prime demographic to be attacked and raped. You better bet we want to know Krav Maga. I wish there were classes in it. I'm in awe when i watch people exhibit it.

Gilette and I would definitely be the prime candidates to be equipped with it. Women who survive brutal attacks probably pulled out some sort of primal form of KM in order to fend off their attacker and injur him in the process.

15. ballsaplenty2156

ballsaplenty2156 New Member

From what I've seen of Krav Maga, it has a basis not necessarily in martial arts,
    in actual survival.
    It's base theory is to come at the attacker and not stop until they are totally destroyed. Anything goes! Whatever it takes to overcome your opponent is fair game.
    It does not rely on forms as much as it does on pure techniques. It is brutal but not invincible. Krav Maga depends on the user and his will to survive in order to be effective.
    I'm a student of Asian martial arts and have been for a number of years now, and I am confident in my ability to defend against most any attack, including that of a Krav Maga master.

Draft saved Draft deleted