Kris Allen -- American Idol WINNER.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Martin van Burden, May 21, 2009.

1. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

2. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    *crickets* *crickets* *crickets*

#2 Skull Mason, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  3. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Woo, shit! Damn. 38 million votes. Now, if America got up and voted that way in actual elections...

Oh well. I can't blame 'em. That's some real home support. Maybe, provided that the budget crisis doesn't cripple 'em too bad, they'll go out and do the next step. Buy his CD. I'm not even mad at 'em in the meantime. I am curious about the reaction to Adam's loss. I'm willing to bet homophobia will come up, and I think Adam will probably handle it graciously and make corrections. I hope he will anyway.

4. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

YUP, those Bible thumpers really hang together, and they stopped screwing their relatives long enuf to make those calls. Kudos to them.

5. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I posted on another thread last night about this.

I think Kris Allen seems immensely likeable and has considerable talent. In truth his musical innate style is more to my liking than Mr. Lambert's. However of the two I think Adam Lambert was a born showman. His talent (given my dislike of most of his song choices) is still remarkable as is his range. He (from a detached standpoint) appears to me as the more marketable of the two stars.

I do (as I felt last year with David Archuleta) feel homophobia in America's voting stacked things against Adam and David Archuleta winning. Adam was open and unapologetic where David was less willing to out himself.

I admire Lambert immensely for his willingness to be open in the face of this society.

His (as was Allen's) on stage person was appreciated (not arrogant like that Indian dude who made my skin crawl) and I think they both seem like decent fellow. Certainly Kris Allen's victory shouldn't be lessened or underplayed simply because a large block of the American voting audience is voting to do with things that have nothing to do with musical talent.

But was homophobia a factor? Yup... two years in a row now.

#5 B_Stronzo, May 21, 2009
  6. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    correct what?
    his gayness?

7. naughty

Gold Member

Please don't go there. Speed dialing has no religious affiliation. Though I dont thump the bible I do read it and I thought Adam was robbed as I said in the other thread.

8. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

So I cant have an opinion too ???? Have i slept thru the repeal of FREE speech ???? :confused:

9. naughty

Gold Member

Obviously, you have missed my point.

10. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

NAH !!!! not really....

11. TopDudeFtl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

38 million just from Arkansas...over 100 million total votes. :eek:

12. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Adam has not actually "come out"

he's been outed by people assuming he's gay due I suppose to his manner of dress and make-up, which is unfortunate. Yes there are picture(s) of him kissing another guy but truth be told we don't know everything about the context of said pictures. He's 27, living in Hollywood... things are just different, freer for that set.

and as for the bible thumpers... there are blogs that openly spew hate, advising followers "do not vote for the fag"

13. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Sorry slurper. He's probably not felt the need for admission as well he shouldn't.

It's photo's like this which leave no doubt.

14. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Sorry Slurper and Stronzo, but you guys just aint up on popular culture. Go to Perezhilton.com and you will learn that staffers ran into Adam and other AI contestants the other nite at a dinner given in their honor at Olive Garden whereby Adam introduced his HANDSOME, hot, hunky date as his BF. (boyfriend, not best friend) This has also been confirmed by others on other sites. And whats the big surprise anyway ???? He speaks for himself and doesnt need others to speak for him... Respect to Adam.

15. catman

Gold Member

as stated in other discussions- I think Adam losing is the BEST thing that could have happened...

remember Ruben....oh crap, I forget him too...but the runner up? Clay? he went on to MUCH bigger things...

the 'winner' is locked into a 5 year contract (and having to sing some truly drippy songs) whereas Adam now has a chance to rise above the 'album designed by committee'. I think for Adam the sky truly IS the limit now...

I voted for Adam as well, but in this scenario? I am happy the boring, generic guy won...isn't that what middle america deserves?

16. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    38 million votes that saved Adam Lambert's career!!!!

17. D_Portelay Porquesword

Robbed is the appropriate word. If this were any other country Adam would have taken the title. Conservative America just is not ready for "different".

We here in the colonies still equate the word "strange" or "different" for the word "wrong".

The bit about humping relatives, that record has been played so much it skips.

#17 D_Portelay Porquesword, May 21, 2009
  18. D_Portelay Porquesword

ooops!

#18 D_Portelay Porquesword, May 21, 2009
  19. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Really, jj. I voted for Kris 23 times and you can hardly call me a bible thumper. The same goes for my sister who marches with her kids in every Gay Pride parade in Boston. So watch it with the epithets.

I think Adam is immensely talented but I doubt I will ever buy a CD of his or go see him in concert. Kris, who is equally although differently talented, is another matter; that's why he got my vote.

#19 B_Nick8, May 21, 2009
  20. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know if Kris could do a concert all by himself and pull it off. I enjoy what he does and have the entire season; I can play the piano and the guitar but I can't sing much for shit, so I always respected how he hung in there (and eventually won) a show with more talented singers using those skills.

The problem I would have is, he isn't the best at what he does. There are other guys, such as Jason Mraz, or Justin Timberlake, who excel at playing guitar/piano and singing, and do it better than he does. People with star power, and who can put on an entire show, not look as if, as Simon put it (paraphrasing), "3 guys sitting around a campfire or dormroom". That is a major hurdle Kris will have to overcome.

Regardless if you like it or not, no one really does what Adam Lambert does, well, better than Adam Lambert does. He has a uniqueness that Kris doesn't. He will be able to pull off 2 hour long rock concerts, either by himself, or singing for Slash or Queen or Skull Mason, with no effort. And people won't be bored. There isn't anyone out there with a voice like Adam, especially for his genre (please show me if there is), while there are already plenty of people in the Kris mold who are better than him. It is weird to think about it, but, Kris is average at what he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted