Kudos to Castro

Discussion in 'Politics' started by arkfarmbear, Sep 1, 2010.

1. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of our "leaders" with gay people's blood on their hands would publicly accept responsibility and apologize?
    Wouldn't it be even more wonderful if their statements would change the behaviour of those coming along behind them so that using gays as fodder for their personal gain would be futile?

2. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

My theory is that he is near death, and suddenly got all religious :D

It is good, what he is doing. I think Cuba is gettin better.

3. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

Did I miss something? Did Castro apologize for his persecution of gay people?

4. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Not quite.
    He acknowledged that it occurred and that it was wrong, and happened on his watch.
    He claims to have been distracted by the American threat, attempts on his life, and his focus on maintaining the revolution.
    He denies ever being homophobic himself.

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Much much much too little & much much much too late.

Stalinist totalitarianism is wrong, evil: bad.

Viva la revoluciĆ³n!

6. luka82

Gold Member

What he says now means little to the persecuted gay people way back then....

7. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

Death bed conversions and apologies are as old as time itself. I grew up and have lived in a very religious region and deathbed conversions are common. Finding God to avoid prison is common, too. Preachers warn against counting on these as entrance to eternal heaven. A person can die instantly and conversion isn't likely or even possible at that time. Therefore, it is unsafe to live a "sin-filled" life with a plan to get right with God shortly before death.

I've also witnessed situations in which the dying person lives and then tries to retract earlier comments and decisions. Talk about poetic justice!!!!

Bbucko is in my opinion totally correct.

Nevertheless Castro's comments will have some bearing on the overall treatments of gay folks worldwide. It won't stop those who are gung ho in using us for political or personal gain. And, those guys/gals will continue their pursuit.
    Comments such as Castro's erode the success of our enemies. Not much and not very quickly but over time the impact has a ripple effect.
    I'm 54 and I don't expect gays to be widely embraced by the majority of the population.

Dick Cheney claimed to love and support his lesbian daughter. However, when asked why he didn't defend her and other gay people from attack when the Bush/Cheney Regime was enjoying political success using us as the enemy. When challenged he plead personally innocent on the grounds that Bush was the boss and he had chosen to use us. It was the excuse used by Hitler's accomplices. "I was doing my job".

8. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted