Kurt Cobain's sexuality?

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
He himself said in an interview that he was probably bisexual. I think the quote was something along the lines of "if I hadn't married Courtney I would've carried on a bisexual lifestyle." And I recently read in his Journals that he made a list of reasons he was gay, and one of the main reasons was "Because I'm marrying Courtney Love." And I read somewhere else that there were stories about him hanging out in gay bars in LA and that some thought Courtney was just a beard. Any thoughts?

powerbar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
He did state he was bisexual. I think that guys like him (nomadic, intellectual, and free from barriers) tend to not have many restraints towards sexuality... He was truly very deep. So much so, that they tend to be his demons. I can't seeing a straight guy marrying Courtney Love, BTW.

B_Hungtroll

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He was straight, but had a gay friend in high school and people called him "fag" apparently because of it.

You people probably shouldn't rush to judgements about someones sexuality just because they are tolerant and unhomophobic.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
In an interview with The Advocate (a gay magazine) Kurt Cobain said, "I am gay in spirit." And then he made some obscure reference as follows: "I would have probably carried on a bisexual lifestyle if I hadn't married Courtney." He apparently said he could "probably" be bisexual. Courtney Love herself later said that "living with him was like living with a gay man."

So, I'm not rushing to judgment. I'm trying to sort out statements that the couple themselves made about Kurt himself. And you may recall a line from the song "All Apologies" -- "What else can I say/ Everyone is gay." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Apologies

MsThang

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
South Florida (recently relocated from NYC)
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
He was straight, but had a gay friend in high school and people called him "fag" apparently because of it.

You people probably shouldn't rush to judgements about someones sexuality just because they are tolerant and unhomophobic.

Yeah I saw a film that compiled interviews that a journalist recorded. Kurt states that he was an outcast in high school and his only friend was gay. His best friend at some point does make a move on him and from what Kurt said he turned his friend down and basically tells his friend I'm not gay.

What is interesting about the interview is that it becomes clear that he killed himself due to chronic pain that he suffered with for years.

mikey41

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Don't really care about Kurt's sexuality. He and the grunge genre depressed the hell out of me.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You people are so fucking stupid. You want everyone to be gay and it's honestly a little creepy.

What you are failing to realise is the context of this statement. It is in a GAY magazine. Do you think it would sell many issues or look good on the cover if it said "Kurt Kobain is straight"?

You also have to remember/realise that many people are not quoted correctly and oftentimes, what they do say has not come from them but has come from a publicist / marketing director on their behalf.

If you read Page 3 you will see that all the women have a) big tits and b) an uncommon concern for world politics.

Don't believe everything you read.

Reactions: 4_men

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Again, I am simply juxtaposing statements Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love themselves said. I read in his journal -- in a handwritten entry -- that one of the main proofs that he was gay was that he was marrying Courtney Love. She herself said that living with him was like living with a gay man. He himself said he could "probably" be "bisexual." And plenty of straight people have been featured in gay magazines. They're referred to as "allies." A lot of people who are content to be "allies" do not go so far as to say they could "probably" be gay or bisexual. There's a fine line between supporting and identifying.

The Suicide of Kurt Cobain: A victim of the Binary and Biphobia?

And, again, Kurt Cobain himself sang in the song All Apologies "Everyone is gay."

Sorry if you're a Nirvana fan and this is hard for you to take. But we're not "stupid" people. We're just talking about facts. All of the above is true. ‪Nirvana - All Apologies (MTV Unplugged)‬‏ - YouTube

powerbar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Incocknito: Calling everyone stupid, only makes yourself out to look dumber than the rest of us....

Irvy Hill

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Your comment is ironic considering it sounds like you want everybody to be straight and about have a stroke when someone quotes a famous dead singer saying he might have been gay or bi. Get off the cross Phyllis someone else needs the wood to keep warm.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Your comment is ironic considering it sounds like you want everybody to be straight and about have a stroke when someone quotes a famous dead singer saying he might have been gay or bi. Get off the cross Phyllis someone else needs the wood to keep warm.

Green Day fans act the same way when people say that Billy Joe Armstrong has identified as bisexual. They say that his statements were taken out of context. But how can you take a statement like "I think I've always been bisexual" out of context? It's actually sad that some people can't accept this about people they admire. Believe it or not, gay and bisexual man can actually be cool! :cool: lol

bendover69

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
You people are so fucking stupid. You want everyone to be gay and it's honestly a little creepy.

What you are failing to realise is the context of this statement. It is in a GAY magazine. Do you think it would sell many issues or look good on the cover if it said "Kurt Kobain is straight"?

You also have to remember/realise that many people are not quoted correctly and oftentimes, what they do say has not come from them but has come from a publicist / marketing director on their behalf.

If you read Page 3 you will see that all the women have a) big tits and b) an uncommon concern for world politics.

Don't believe everything you read.

'You people'

FFS get a life and don't let such trivial things upset you so much.

The OP asked a relevant question, going on something he read. If you don't like it don't enter the thread.

B_Hungtroll

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Green Day fans act the same way when people say that Billy Joe Armstrong has identified as bisexual. They say that his statements were taken out of context. But how can you take a statement like "I think I've always been bisexual" out of context? It's actually sad that some people can't accept this about people they admire. Believe it or not, gay and bisexual man can actually be cool! :cool: lol

Yeah It's a known thing that Armstrong swings both ways. No one should have a problem with that. [Everyone should have a problem with GD's new music though.. shit sucks. Bring back 90s Greenday, Dookie fuckin rules.]

But as for Curt Kobaine, he was not gay. It would be muddling the facts to say or assume he was. He was just the sacha baron cohen of rock (AKA Gay friendly).

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
He died 17 years ago. Why does anyone really care that he was, maybe, possibly, no one will ever know, bisexual ? The true measure of a person is how they live their life, not how you might want to label them. In my opinion, and your mileage may vary since you are free to form your own and disagree with me, he was a troubled soul, and a drug addict that put a shotgun to his head and left his wife and young daughter behind.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
But as for Curt Kobaine, he was not gay. It would be muddling the facts to say or assume he was. He was just the sacha baron cohen of rock (AKA Gay friendly).

Thanks, but, again.... I never said "gay." I said "bisexual." And I used that word because he himself used it in an interview to describe himself. THAT is a fact. It's a fact that he said it. I'm not muddling anything.