l-arginine and oral herpes

thatcareforgot

Just Browsing
Media
just wondering---- i'm 21, and have occasional problems sustaining an erection. everybody on this site recommends l-arginine to improve erections, but say that those with herpes should avoid it. i occasionally get oral cold sores. how much of a risk do i run of triggering them if i start taking l-arginine?
what else could i take that might help???

luchoarg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
hey
as far as I know (and my experience) factors that cause oral herpes recurrence vary from person to person.
So, just try and let us know!

luis

BigLittleMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
a friend of mine swears by lysine (an essential amino acid). he says to take 1-2 tablets a day. also, mix a crushed tablet with water and put the paste directly on the cold sore before going to bed. he says it will be gone in a day or two.

buffbaldy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have heard that L-arginine will agrivate oral herpes during an attack and yes I have been told by a doctor to use L-lysine as a regular supplement to suppress oral herpes. I take 500 mg twice a day on a regular basis. I have found when I start to get the itch on my lip that I double the l-lysine, 1,000 mg twice a day and I usually don't blister!

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I get a cold sore every now and then, too. when I first feel them forming, I take some Tea-tree oil and place a few drops on it. I do that three times a day and in a couple days it's gone.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
just wondering---- i'm 21, and have occasional problems sustaining an erection. everybody on this site recommends l-arginine to improve erections, but say that those with herpes should avoid it. i occasionally get oral cold sores. how much of a risk do i run of triggering them if i start taking l-arginine?
what else could i take that might help???
Yes L- Arginine can make it worse. If you have Herpes dont take it.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have heard that L-arginine will agrivate oral herpes during an attack...

I have heard the same thing. I experimented with L-arginine a while back in an attempt to try to increase the volume of my ejaculate. I also used to have fairly persistent cold sores. At the time I didn't know there could be a connection.

I stopped taking L-arginine a while ago and haven't had a cold sore in ages. I've been thinking of taking it again and I'm curious to see if I get a cold sore when I do.

...and yes I have been told by a doctor to use L-lysine as a regular supplement to suppress oral herpes. I take 500 mg twice a day on a regular basis. I have found when I start to get the itch on my lip that I double the l-lysine, 1,000 mg twice a day and I usually don't blister!

I did read somewhere a while back that if you have a herpes outbreak while taking l-arginine, you should also take l-lysine to help prevent/clear up the outbreak.

When I get a cold sore I've tried treating it with a topical lysine ointment. It doesn't seem to help much, but it helps a little and works better than anything else I've tried.

I was just reading yesterday that l-lysine supplements may help increase the body's ability to resist skin infections, including fungal infections. I'm sorry to say that I've got a stubborn case of jock itch which comes back every time I stop the topical antifungal treatment, so I'm going to start taking l-lysine supplements to see if it helps the infection go away.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have heard the same thing. I experimented with L-arginine a while back in an attempt to try to increase the volume of my ejaculate. I also used to have fairly persistent cold sores. At the time I didn't know there could be a connection.

I stopped taking L-arginine a while ago and haven't had a cold sore in ages. I've been thinking of taking it again and I'm curious to see if I get a cold sore when I do.

I did read somewhere a while back that if you have a herpes outbreak while taking l-arginine, you should also take l-lysine to help prevent/clear up the outbreak.

When I get a cold sore I've tried treating it with a topical lysine ointment. It doesn't seem to help much, but it helps a little and works better than anything else I've tried.

I was just reading yesterday that l-lysine supplements may help increase the body's ability to resist skin infections, including fungal infections. I'm sorry to say that I've got a stubborn case of jock itch which comes back every time I stop the topical antifungal treatment, so I'm going to start taking l-lysine supplements to see if it helps the infection go away.
Yes it can bring on cold sores

ToBe

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like people have been saying, if you have problems with HSV outbreaks while on Arginine, try balancing it with Lysine.

There is some scientific basis for this, e.g.:
AVMA - American Journal of Veterinary Research - 61(12):1474 - Abstract

The other important thing is to treat supplements like you would treat other drugs/meds:
* Read up on the side effects and commonly used doses.
* Use the lowest effective amount.
* Ideally, do not make rapid changes: don't just one day start with 5 g/day or L arginine; rather, start with 500 mg or 1 g and ramp up as necessary.

thatcareforgot

Just Browsing
Media
well- i guess the jury is out: consensus says i should stay away from l-arginine.

does anybody else have any supplements to recommend that might help me sustain stronger erections? magnesium? anything? help!

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...I stopped taking L-arginine a while ago and haven't had a cold sore in ages. I've been thinking of taking it again and I'm curious to see if I get a cold sore when I do...

I've been taking 500 mg l-arginine twice a day (the recommended dose on the bottle) since my original post from about a week ago, and sure enough I woke up this morning with the beginnings of a cold sore. I'm also taking l-lysine, but obviously it didn't prevent the outbreak. I will quite the arginine and continue with the lysine, and hopefully this will clear up quickly.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been taking 500 mg l-arginine twice a day (the recommended dose on the bottle) since my original post from about a week ago, and sure enough I woke up this morning with the beginnings of a cold sore. I'm also taking l-lysine, but obviously it didn't prevent the outbreak. I will quite the arginine and continue with the lysine, and hopefully this will clear up quickly.
Stop taking them. It will make it worse. Anyone with Aids or someone with Herpes should not take this.