Lack of diversity in LGBTQ+ tv shows and how it has an effect in the real world

heinz.friedrich

Expert Member
Media
I also was confused as i hear an interview with this girl that plays Ariel in this Disney film.
She said something like: Finally I show that Black people can achieve a leading role?

No Black person will think that they have a chance of playing a movie role in a worldwide movie if they are not American. And the most Black people are not American. Sometimes people from English-speaking nations also have the chance.

Representation is generally very deceptive, because that is not really equal representation and also not very inclusive. Some people will never have the chance to do these jobs (especially if you are poor, uneducated and dont live in the states). That is not told because it does not sell.

The rules of representation are also based on arbitrary rules that change over time. Now it is race , sex and sexual orientation distribution in the United States, in the future it is something else.

If you want equity, so that everybody has the same chance, you have to draw lots.

heinz.friedrich

Expert Member
Media
Agreed, but racism is based on systems of powers.

we can fight against it, but POC still live in a very hostile world.

These power definitions are generally very deceptive.

If you have these definitions of power, you have to have the definitions if it disbenefits you, not only if you gain privileges through these definitions.

The most people are American that promote these phrases. They have to say that only Americans (and maybe Chinese) can be hateful, because hate is defined by power. That would disprivilege them. Therefore they would never say that.

Politicians have to say that they cannot be discriminated by non-politicians, because they have not enough power to do so. So that would mean that politicians cannot be harassed because harassment is defined by power. That would disprivilege them, therefore they also would never say that.

Media stars and streamers have to say that only they can be insulted by other people but they themselves cannot experience insults because those world are defined by power.

If you have more money than other people, you cannot be robbed, because robbery is defined by power and so on.

kkichigo

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Whatever the color of our skin we are all humans. The generalization that "white people" don't want to watch stories about POC is not only untrue but condescending and does not get us anywhere. Generalizations about people's' behavior based on the color of their skin are exactly what we should fight against.
All the white ppl liking this post.. you're the problem :joy:

kkichigo

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Half those movies I have not seen or heard of.

You are lumping all "white gays" into one group like we all exactly the same and lack empathy for POC. The way racist white people lump all POC.

Fact is there has been progress on representing queer POC in media. Not every movie or show may feature them but more do than in the past.

"shared sense of community"- scolding people and making generalizations about them based on their race is not helpful to a shared sense of community either.
"All lives matter" :emoji_rolling_eyes:

kkichigo

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I also was confused as i hear an interview with this girl that plays Ariel in this Disney film.
She said something like: Finally I show that Black people can achieve a leading role?

No Black person will think that they have a chance of playing a movie role in a worldwide movie if they are not American. And the most Black people are not American. Sometimes people from English-speaking nations also have the chance.

Representation is generally very deceptive, because that is not really equal representation and also not very inclusive. Some people will never have the chance to do these jobs (especially if you are poor, uneducated and dont live in the states). That is not told because it does not sell.

The rules of representation are also based on arbitrary rules that change over time. Now it is race , sex and sexual orientation distribution in the United States, in the future it is something else.

If you want equity, so that everybody has the same chance, you have to draw lots.
"Rules" of representation not arbitrary. Society is evolving, and as it evolves we think critically and try to solve injustices.

Also I'm 100% certain you misquoted Halle speaking about the Ariel role.

The reason American media gets talked about so much is because of the massive global cultural influence, especially in the english-speaking world. Media, culture and society are intimately connected.

Your last point is just so dumb I don't even know where to start.

kkichigo

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
These power definitions are generally very deceptive.

If you have these definitions of power, you have to have the definitions if it disbenefits you, not only if you gain privileges through these definitions.

The most people are American that promote these phrases. They have to say that only Americans (and maybe Chinese) can be hateful, because hate is defined by power. That would disprivilege them. Therefore they would never say that.

Politicians have to say that they cannot be discriminated by non-politicians, because they have not enough power to do so. So that would mean that politicians cannot be harassed because harassment is defined by power. That would disprivilege them, therefore they also would never say that.

Media stars and streamers have to say that only they can be insulted by other people but they themselves cannot experience insults because those world are defined by power.

If you have more money than other people, you cannot be robbed, because robbery is defined by power and so on.
...what? Honestly couldn't draw any meaning from this. Recognizing and fighting systemic racism isn't a ploy to "gain privileges". That's so insulting.

That's just the gay community for you. They'll pretend to be open and tolerant and stuff, but the reality is there are very few environments that are less tolerant and more toxic than the gay scene. Basically if you're not either handsome, rich, a perv or a walking cliché, you're screwed and you just won't fit. You'll be ignored and/or face contempt. Your body, your clothes will be scrutinized each time you enter a gay place. Don't believe the "gay loving family" lies served on TV shows. I used to believe them was sorely disappointed. It took me many years to realize that, years I could have used for healthier experiences.

And that was some years ago now. I can only imagine how it can be now that you are required to have a specific political views and ideology or face ostracization : unamused:

In my life I have never experienced a more intolerant and toxic environment than the gay community. I honestly feel a million times more confortable with my conservative relatives than in a gay bar, really.

Jjsurp99

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It
That's just the gay community for you. They'll pretend to be open and tolerant and stuff, but the reality is there are very few environments that are less tolerant and more toxic than the gay scene. Basically if you're not either handsome, rich, a perv or a walking cliché, you're screwed and you just won't fit. You'll be ignored and/or face contempt. Your body, your clothes will be scrutinized each time you enter a gay place. Don't believe the "gay loving family" lies served on TV shows. I used to believe them was sorely disappointed. It took me many years to realize that, years I could have used for healthier experiences.

And that was some years ago now. I can only imagine how it can be now that you are required to have a specific political views and ideology or face ostracization : unamused:

In my life I have never experienced a more intolerant and toxic environment than the gay community. I honestly feel a million times more confortable with my conservative relatives than in a gay bar, really.
True most conservatives don't care as long you don't broadcast it all the time. Gay community make being gay a personality, which is the most annoying thing in the world.

There a reason there a pushed back cus of how out of control LGBTQ+

It

True most conservatives don't care as long you don't broadcast it all the time. Gay community make being gay a personality, which is the most annoying thing in the world.

There a reason there a pushed back cus of how out of control LGBTQ+
Exactly. I'm gay but that's not my one and only personality trait. I don't feel the need to flaunt it all the time or to make everything about it.

No matter who you are, if you're constantly getting into people's face you're gonna get on their nerves and they can't be blamed for it Respect goes both ways..

Jjsurp99

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Exactly. I'm gay but that's not my one and only personality trait. I don't feel the need to flaunt it all the time or to make everything about it.

No matter who you are, if you're constantly getting into people's face you're gonna get on their nerves and they can't be blamed for it Respect goes both ways..
Yup I agree respect earn not given

dana2

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's just the gay community for you. They'll pretend to be open and tolerant and stuff, but the reality is there are very few environments that are less tolerant and more toxic than the gay scene.

There is no homogeneous "gay community". Douchebags come in all shapes, sizes, colors, political persuasions and sexual orientations. One or two douchebags should not define an entire group.

dana2

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry but that's my general experience with the gay community and you won't tell me otherwise. Decent people are very rare in there.

To say "decent people" are very rare in the gay community is ridiculous. There are assholes in every group including the gay community and I certainly can think of some. But most of the people are good. You just need to be open and let go of your negative preconceptions and you will find the good ones.

Jjsurp99

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
To say "decent people" are very rare in the gay community is ridiculous. There are assholes in every group including the gay community and I certainly can think of some. But most of the people are good. You just need to be open and let go of your negative preconceptions and you will find the good ones.
It a fact the gay community is toxic af. You're right there assholes every group

Reactions: 3790721