Lactose Intolerance

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've recently (well, not that recently) realised I'm lactose intolerant and it's been getting progressively worse, and I've been having trouble trying to choose what kind of milk I should drink. It's honestly such a dilemma that I stand there at a grocery store just kind of checking them all out, and end up buying none, then getting so frustrated with myself the next morning when I haven't got any milk to go with my cereal.

So, my question to the rest of you lactose-free milk drinkers, what is the ideal milk in terms of health, taste and slimming benefits?

Also, I've been told a few times now that soy milk messes with your thyroid, is this true? It's got a lot of protein and I've sort of grown accustomed to the taste, but if the thyroid thing is true, I'll probably avoid it.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Soy milk is pretty good. Silk milk is my fav. Don't know about the thyroid issue.

Down here in the large, obstreperous country below you, there is a newish bran of milk called "Lactaid." Although I am not lactose intolerant, but some of family are, so it's "in-house." I find that I prefer it over regular milk. It reports to be hormone free, etc.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ideal would be soymilk, and no, it does not interfere with thyroid, testosterone, etc., etc

soy has agents that have a "slimming" effect

I'm not intolerant, but I know others who are, and they can readily find lactose (and fat-free) dairy milk at just about any grocer

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Soy milk is pretty good. Silk milk is my fav. Don't know about the thyroid issue.

Down here in the large, obstreperous country below you, there is a newish bran of milk called "Lactaid." Although I am not lactose intolerant, but some of family are, so it's "in-house." I find that I prefer it over regular milk. It reports to be hormone free, etc.
I like soy milk, too, and if what I've heard is untrue, then I'll probably stick with it.

But I also heard a nutritionist not too long ago telling someone that soy milk's been getting a bad rap recently and it'd be best to choose other alternatives. I was kind of eavesdropping, so I didn't exactly get to ask why.

ideal would be soymilk, and no, it does not interfere with thyroid, testosterone, etc., etc

soy has agents that have a "slimming" effect

I'm not intolerant, but I know others who are, and they can readily find lactose (and fat-free) dairy milk at just about any grocer
Yes, there's plenty of lactose dairy milk here, but I figured with all these alternatives, they're probably much healthier choices than traditional dairy milk, or else why would they bother? Not enough vegans, I don't think.

There is a lactose free milk available in the UK which is pretty good, and is possibaly available elsewhere: Lactofree – Dump the lactose not the dairy with our lactose free range

Understand where you are coming from bud, with having to deal with mom who has IBS.
Thanks, but again, would like to know what makes rice milk superior to almond milk, or soy to dairy, or any other variation.

Thanks for the responses, folks.

wellhung9

Experimental Member
Media
I think I'm lactose intolerant too, because last night I had 4 milkshakes and I feel like crap! think it might be the lactose?

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just researched acidophilus milk, and I don't think it is lactose-free after all. Sorry.
It's fine, suggestions are always appreciated. :smile:

I think I'm lactose intolerant too, because last night I had 4 milkshakes and I feel like crap! think it might be the lactose?
I think anyone would be sick after 4 milkshakes :tongue:. Haha, tread lightly if you think it was the lactose.

Media
As one who is suffers from Milk protein intolerance:

DB I shall send you the link to some articles. I stopped drinking Soy because it really aggravated my migraines. I also felt so lethargic after drinking it and using it in Soy protein shakes.

I switched to Silk's Almond milk (Vanilla) and some times I use the Blue Diamond unsweetened in my coffee.

Also, I switched to Brown Rice protein and use the Almond milk in there and no problems at all. HUGE difference.

Leave the cow juice alone!

Last edited:

sinbad1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Soy Milk is the most common replacement but have tried rice milk from time to time and in Europe you can find almond milk. It's common today so you should be able to find heaps of solutions.

You can take pills to control the intolerance but it depends on the level of your intolerance. I've had the intolerance since I was 8 years of age, I find it easier to simply remove milk and milk products from my daily diet and only use them occasionally. Different solutions for different folks, I expect.

atlas23

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have the same problem. First, I was drinking Parmalat Lactaid (the lactose free parmalat, not quite sure of the name). Then, I switch to soy milk but then I told a friend who's mom is a nurse about it and he told me that his mom said that Soy milk messes up with your testorone levels or something similar so I went back to Parmalat.

Hope it helps....

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have the same problem. First, I was drinking Parmalat Lactaid (the lactose free parmalat, not quite sure of the name). Then, I switch to soy milk but then I told a friend who's mom is a nurse about it and he told me that his mom said that Soy milk messes up with your testorone levels or something similar so I went back to Parmalat.

Hope it helps....

I've been drinking soy milk for years and so far as I can tell, it has not affected my testosterone level. If it had, probably the pics in my gallery would not have been possible.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
can't you just drink regular milk and take the lactaid pills?
That's just too much work. For one thing, buying the lactaid pills is an extra expense, and secondly, I'd probably never remember to take them. They're just too inconvenient, especially when you just wanna grab the carton/milk bag and take a quick chug.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
can't you just drink regular milk and take the lactaid pills?
After trying several different alternatives a friend asked me this same question. I just smacked my head because it hadn't even occurred to me. Using the pills with regular milk works for me but my intolerance is mild compared to some.

Generally I found it a nuisance to time the pills before meals so it's easier to just minimize my dairy intake.

There's one over here called Rice Dream which is nice...quite creamy tho, and I dunno if rice milk has lactose in or not? :redface:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There is one way to find out if it's the lactose (milk sugar) or the milk protein that is bothering you-- eat yogurt. Or hard cheese. Lactose is confined to the whey portion of milk, so cheese is very low in lactose. Yogurt converts the lactose when the culture uses it, meaning it will not bother you anymore.

Many adults become lactose intolerant as they age, even in dairying cultures, which is why yogurts and cheese were invented.

As for drinking: beware yogurt drinks made with whey or whole milk. Make your own. Or buy 'kefir', a Mediterranean drinkable yogurt.

Lactose-treated brands that say 'lactose free' are increasingly available, and taste a wee bit sweeter because the enzyme has changed the sugars.

Soy milk, almond milk, and rice milk are all lactose free and come in many flavors. We use them in our lactose-intolerant household, especially in coffee. In my experience they go bad more quickly than dairy milk.