Ladies, what contraception you use and why?

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I also had a copper 7 IUD until I was 24 when it was removed... I was told it caused sever uterine scarring and I'd never conceive. I have never taken the pill or ANY other form of contraception. I've had two pregnancies, one miscarried and one full term. I haven't had a period in over 3 yrs.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My friend had a similar problem with pills. She used to get too emotional sometimes. Mood swings and all. She cried than she laughed. But her doctor told her not to stop using the pill. He was like that`s normal when you start. And it stopped. She has no sideaffects now.

And AE I have seen you signature, same thing happens to me.

It's not normal for anyone's emotions to cause their relationships to deteriorate, or to cause them to be unable to meet their responsibilities. If she wasn't having side effects that extreme, her problems were not similar to mine.

All birth control pills elevate a woman's risk of heart disease and sudden death. All of them. This is because they deplete the body's resources, such as CoQ10, vitamin B complex, calcium, folic acid and more. This is the real reason a woman cannot conceive immediately after discontinuing it, and why she shouldn't if she could. It's a lot like being pregnant for however long you take it. Only, when you are carrying a fetus, at least you lose your resources to a good cause. When you lose them to the pill, you are risking your life for...

I didn't always understand this. When my life started falling apart, I stayed awake for days doing research.

Anyway. I now use other methods that don't involve any attempt to manipulate my endocrine system.

Regarding my signature, thanks for the vote of solidarity.

Scarlet

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
My contraception method is the same whether I'm in a relationship or just enjoying fuck buddies -- birth control pill and condoms for intercourse (serious, monogamous relationships are the exception). For people I don't know as deeply as I know most of my sex partners, I use a non lubricated condom or a dental dam for oral sex UNLESS I have proof they are clean. I always clean and sanitize sex toys as well, before and after every use. You can never be too careful, and as much as I love bareback sex, I love me more.

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am thankful that at 40 my fertility is lower, and being in a solid relationship where we would both welcome a child, we can track my cycle and use condoms as needed.

Why the rhythm method? Well...from about 16 to 30, I had four pregnancies. First time was with a condom and spermicide, second time was with a cervical cap and spermicide, third time was a matter of touching, fluid and pre-ejaculatory sperm, and the fourth time was while I was on the pill; had been for 3 years and took every one. I had an IUD after my daughter but felt it during sex. After a year and a half, it just bothered me mentally that it was there so I had it removed. My ex and I used the "pull-&-pray" method for another year and a half with no pregnancies. It was about 7 years before I got pregnant again and I miscarried. (Difficulty getting pregnant and miscarriages seem common after an IUD but I have no statistical evidence to support that.)

Somewhere in there I also used Depo-Provera, the shots, for a few years. I did NOT get pregnant (a plus) but did stop having my period altogether, my libido went down, my fountain became dry, dry, dry and my mind got low, low, low (all negatives).

All in all, I don't think there is any great contraceptive for me.

Cherrylips

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well I haven't used anything because I am a virgin, but I have been wondering a lot about what contraceptives I should use. I know that condom is the best for STD's but ideally, I'd want to get into a sexual relationship with someone I am serious about and would ask him to get checked first (kindly). So I think condoms are off the list. But the thing I'm concerned about is that I have heard, some of the contraceptives affect your chances of having a baby later on. Does anyone know anything about that?

D_Tanya_Hardon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I use Levora-28, the generic for Levlin 28. It's a birth control pill, not low hormone, and I've never noticed any side effects. I've been taking it since I was 15. I use condoms when I'm not in a serious relationship because while I trust the birth control to keep me from getting pregnant, I don't feel like getting herpegonnosyphilaids. I realize you can get HPV and HSV even with a condom. That's what gettin on your knees and doing a blowjob/inspection is for. Oh yeah, and asking. But seriously, I've asked people before if they were clean and they said yes, then asked when the last time they were tested was, and they said they never had been! Anyway that's the reason for the condoms. And the birth control regulates my periods and enables me to have condomless sex in a relationship.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
It's not normal for anyone's emotions to cause their relationships to deteriorate, or to cause them to be unable to meet their responsibilities. If she wasn't having side effects that extreme, her problems were not similar to mine.

All birth control pills elevate a woman's risk of heart disease and sudden death. All of them. This is because they deplete the body's resources, such as CoQ10, vitamin B complex, calcium, folic acid and more. This is the real reason a woman cannot conceive immediately after discontinuing it, and why she shouldn't if she could. It's a lot like being pregnant for however long you take it. Only, when you are carrying a fetus, at least you lose your resources to a good cause. When you lose them to the pill, you are risking your life for...

I didn't always understand this. When my life started falling apart, I stayed awake for days doing research.

Anyway. I now use other methods that don't involve any attempt to manipulate my endocrine system.

Important post. The pill has been touted at us as safe and easy since its introduction but the only large sample, long duration study of the contraceptive pill is its use over the years. Just look at how much more sophisticated and low dose the combined pill has become over the years. Pharmaceutical companies and doctors spent years telling women these high, high doses of hormones on a regular basis were fine and just what they needed. These days they market similar dose pills to those the women of the 70s took daily as abortive pills (plan B / morning after, whatever).

Generally speaking I think hormonal contraception is a good thing - but AE is completely right when she says it depletes the body's resources and, from my experience and the anecdotal evidence of friends, women just aren't told this when prescribed any pill - not unless they have a very good GP / ObGyn who knows his/her shit.

Not to mention that everyone is different and some pills will be great for one woman and terrible for the next. I was absolutely fine and happy on a low dose combined pill for years - a close blood relative messed about with combined pills of different doses and mini-pills and never found anything that worked well with her body. And, as it turns out, I was the one who had the inherited blood clotting disorder and should never have been on the pill in the first place - threw a clot when I was 23, doc told me (despite me being a smoker back then and on the pill) it was a leg muscle cramp and to walk it off. 11 days later I was in ER being told I might die if I stood up before the meds had time to work!

And see above for stories of character changes, mood swings, lowered sex drive, altered body chemistry, fertility problems - read around a bit and you'll find other women with skin problems, weight problems, hair loss, IBS being activated / worsened, etc., etc..

So by all means go to your doctor and ask about the pill - but be aware you may have to try a few different types and one or all of them may well fuck you up. It is not something to be taken lightly and it certainly is NOT something men should expect of their female partners by default.

D_Reuben Stallpisser

Experimental Member
Media
I also had a copper 7 IUD until I was 24 when it was removed... I was told it caused sever uterine scarring and I'd never conceive. I have never taken the pill or ANY other form of contraception. I've had two pregnancies, one miscarried and one full term. I haven't had a period in over 3 yrs.

I don't remember what the one my wife has is called, but it's not copper. It's plastic and uses some sort of hormone release. It's good for about five years, and since she is nearing menopause, we figured that would be enough.

Kaurik

Sexy Member
Media
I went to the website for the sponge, and it seems like it goes up against the cervix. Does using it affect the feeling when hitting the deep spots for either partner? Also, is it difficult to apply and remove after use properly?

Last edited:

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Generally speaking I think hormonal contraception is a good thing - but AE is completely right when she says it depletes the body's resources and, from my experience and the anecdotal evidence of friends, women just aren't told this when prescribed any pill - not unless they have a very good GP / ObGyn who knows his/her shit.
I agree with this. I have to say that most Gyns here in Serbia prescribe the same pill, even though hormonal psysiology of every women differs.

cece

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Same here. I was on the pill, but I'l never go back on it because it really messed with my body. It's a no brainer for me-it's condoms all the way.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't remember what the one my wife has is called, but it's not copper. It's plastic and uses some sort of hormone release. It's good for about five years, and since she is nearing menopause, we figured that would be enough.
Copper 7's where the new thing in the late 70's and early 80's. The problem with them was that they implanted themselves into the uterus lining and caused infections and/or scarring. I have no clue about the newer ones.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess I'm the only one that went the radical route. Had a tubal ligation when I was 24. Yes, I know I was very young to do it, and I already went through all of that with my OB-GYN. My daughter was still young and I was a single mother.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ellie, some of my friends who had children very young tried to get tubal ligation as well. Most doctors will not consider performing it, even if a future pregnancy risks the life of the would-be mother, unless the woman is age 25, or has had three children. This, of course, is ridiculous. So, my friends have had to have abortions when their birth control methods continued to fail them (which is how they got their first children) or deliver children they didn't want. Eventually, when they were old enough for doctors to finally consent, they were able to have the procedure they wanted in the first place. My one friend loves her daughter, but wishes she'd not had to raise her children in such abject poverty when the little girl was first born. She also laments the two abortions she endured.

EllieP, you're a very lucky lady.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

This I did not know! I've always felt well informed about my pill which is loestrin24FE. I guess I'm going to do somemore research. The pill is my back up form not my main form of BC. I've been on it for so long I wouldn't know how I'm supposed to feel off of it. I'm totally against IUDs because I've never had kids and they can migrate. Until I've had kids or decided not to have them I don't want to take any risks. I think I may also have read somewhere about increased risk of pelvic infections, it's been so long since I looked at the pamplets on them? Obviously I need to research more. Thank you for the post AE!

Last edited by a moderator:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had a tubal ligation when I was in my early thirties. I have never wanted children, and would have had the tubal ligation even when I was like 16 if they'd have let me!

But I also insist on condoms for STD protection.