Ladies, what's your favorite scent on a man?

roosevelt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I recently realized that the only cologne that I have are the ones that my ex-wife purchased for me because she liked them.

I don't find that women say "you smell nice" or the like when I get close to them when I'm wearing any of my colognes, and oddly enough, I usually do when I've not bothered putting cologne on (perhaps it's my natural scent.... nah, probably not)

What are all of your favorites?

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
GREAT question. And, I can't wait for the ladies to answer!

I'm kinda bewildered too, on finding the "right" men's fragrance. :confused:

I've tried: Allure and Lagerfeld. (I'm not all that fond of these, myself!...even though they WERE recommended to me). But somehow, I find these two quite .... what? ---TOO "sweet" smelling I guess.

My current all-time favs are: Acqua Di Gio and Fahrenheit
(but I get hardly ANY comments when using them.)

I personally like these because they're clean, fresh, masculine fragrances and not too terribly overpowering!

btw, I only lightly "spritz it" using any of these colognes, trying to respect those around me who might have allergies!

But even I can't always "smell" these fragrances about me after (say) an hour or so after applying them.

And I think these colognes are pretty pricey ones at that! $50 bucks per bottle aint cheap!

So ladies...how about it? What CAN you tell us guys that you like?

Don't say simple deodorants! I keep smelling some really nice mens fragrances in the board rooms where I attend meetings. Guys ARE on to some nice colognes out there which I apparently don't know about!

kuriousrebecca

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
god this is going to make me sound so trailer trash, given some of the other fragrences, but my favourites are:

1. soap - swear to god, love a clean man's smell.
2. obsession, calvin klein - bf's fav
3. smell after sex :)..all sweaty.

roosevelt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
kuriousrebecca said:
god this is going to make me sound so trailer trash, given some of the other fragrences, but my favourites are:

1. soap - swear to god, love a clean man's smell.
2. obsession, calvin klein - bf's fav
3. smell after sex :)..all sweaty.

Soap, knew I was forgetting something :wink:

Actually I get the most comments from people if I go somewhere after a hard days work, women always say I smell "manly" I'm never sure whether it's a compliment or an insult.... probably a compliment most times I guess, but who knows?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
  1. suavitel fabric softener
  2. coolwater cologne
  3. cloves and cinnamon
  4. avocado
  5. mint
  6. pepper
  7. some cologne my friend wears from victoria's secret. it must be this scent that got vickie keeping secrets in the first place
  8. olive oil soap
  9. fresh sweat: emphasis on the word fresh
  10. semen
  11. bleach
  12. rosemary
these are my favorite things to smell on a man

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
BronxBombshell said:
  1. suavitel fabric softener
  2. coolwater cologne
  3. cloves and cinnamon
  4. avocado
  5. mint
  6. pepper
  7. some cologne my friend wears from victoria's secret. it must be this scent that got vickie keeping secrets in the first place
  8. olive oil soap
  9. fresh sweat: emphasis on the word fresh
  10. semen
  11. bleach
  12. rosemary
these are my favorite things to smell on a man
Sensuous you — a woman who knows what she likes.:wink:

(Sherlock says he's a master baker, wears impeccably laundered white tunics, and grows his own herbs. And also reports that Rosemary says you smell great on her man too. Ain't that reciprocity.)

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Egoïste by Chanel.

(not Egoïste Platinum) but the original earthy Egoïste.

It's one of the few men's scents which doesn't have that annoyingly lime-like fragrance.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
Interesting responses! 'Keep em coming.

Cool Water was one of the ones suggested to me awhile back and I dunno.
I didn't recognize it as one of those I had "noticed" before around other guys (in those board meeting scenarios I mentioned in my earlier post). But truly, Cool Water DOES seem to be brought up frequently in this kind of discussion.

I'm beginning to think though, that to know what a woman wants a man to wear....i.e. REALLY wants him to wear, then it's best (perhaps) that SHE provides it for him. You know--one of those quaint moments with that special smile when she says...."Here sweetie, I want you to put this on" and then she "winks" :wink:

---I'm such the hopeless romantic.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Like Bronxy, I prefer a simple scent vs. a cologne if a man is going to wear something other than a fresh-cleaned soapy smell. A little dab of sage or cedar or even vanilla is very nice (no, not vanilla extract). Whatever you choose to wear, guys, please don't overdo it. Your scent should hint at more sensual pleasures, not smell like you soaked in it.

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yeh, agreeing with the scent of clean body and clothes...:biggrin1:

And depends very much of the man what kind of comercial scent goes well with him..if they are hairy of not makes a big difference in what any particular fragance will smells like.

I like leather smells, wood smells, grass and ocean too.

And I myself prefer 'day' scents than evening ones..like discret and very light that do not overpower. I dont like smell perfumes in a distance..like to get closer to 'feel' it.

alien51

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i know it says ladies,but i have 2:eek:ld spice(grew up with it on my dad,so i keep the connection)and vancleef and arpels.although it's french,i like it anyway!

roosevelt

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for all the responses...

I guess I may need to go flirt with the cute girl at the mens fragrance counter....

In the mean time... still looking for suggestions

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
roosevelt said:
"...I guess I may need to go flirt with the cute girl at the mens fragrance counter...."

Well Roosevelt, I've deliberately ASKED those "cute girls" at the counters about what's popular. And their suggestions are exactly what I've bought over the last couple of years. Cool Water, Acqua Di Gio, Fahrenheit, Gray Leather, ...yeh right. --They were all "BIG sellers".

So, after reading the responses here so far, I'm kinda left wondering just who IS buying these costly men's fragrances anyway? Mind you--I accept the ladies responses. Simple "soap-clean" and minimal colognes is okay by me. But HOW do these big-name fragrance manufacturers stay in business, then? ....if the more popular trend these days is more LIMITED use of men's fragrances? :confused: Hmmmmm. They're advertised most heavily of course, around Christmas and Father's Day. Maybe men are only supposed to smell extra good at those times of the year!

Heck. I'll just answer my own question by assuming (more likely than not) that it's WOMEN'S fragrances that are the bigger sellers!

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It seems I'm fully mass-compatible with others on this one. I love the better scents of nature, like wood or pine. Usual, perfume-free soap is good too. However, I prefer it put on decently, it shouldn't be too obtrusive. But if it's just enough to reach my nostrils when I'm close to someone, it has this unconscious effects on me that it should have. I really don't mind whether it's a product from a big seller or not, to me, all that matters is the scent.

Bryan_Lyte2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
O.k. here is what I'm getting. Most women will admit to liking the scents of Crave by calvin Klein, Curve, and Cool water. Not trying to sound racist but I've heard the latter two a million times by african-american women. Remember I worked in a retail store just recently, It dosen't count for much, but it does lend a little truth to what I'm saying.

From what I'm getting from this thread, men should smell like nature. Natural, clean scents. Fresh sweat, mint, and pine. Hmmm... Something about scrubbing oneself with a pinecone just dosen't present a pretty picture, and how the hell does one smell like fresh mint!?!?

Just Kidding:smile:. I can't count as what a "Lady, likes on a man", but I and who I like prefer to smell slightly better than clean. Usually with a musky cologne that may be watered down a touch, like my generic Cool Water, (99 cents from the 99 cent store), or my Antonio Banderas "spirit", suggested by a coworker to catch chicks. I water it down because I can't breathe under the heavy scent.
:cool:

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
Hmmmm. Now, how can I say this politely, non-discriminately here?

It's occurred to me that what's being reflected in the answers thusfar is the diversity of ages represented in our membership / posters. That 's fine.
I like hearing from the younger members. They keep me in touch with....reality. :smile: So. The "natural" scents seem the way to go currently.

I've never equated the fresh masculine scents I've noted recently in public places (like elevators, gatherings of people in meetings, the workplace, etc.) as being all that "piney" . But instead (yes) more "soapy" and basic, clean-smelling. I concede then. That's true I guess. Maybe that IS what I'm smelling these days around other guys. I dunno.

I even had the nerve earlier this week (as this thread began) to ask a younger guy at my house doing a roofing repair estimate just what kind of aftershave he used that was lasting all day long. (Heck. It was 4:00PM!)
I explained that I was trying to figure out what was a good cologne to buy. (NOW. I GRANT YOU. A MAN ASKING ANOTHER MAN ABOUT HIS COLOGNE REALLY TOOK NERVE, I'LL TELL YOU! LUCKILY, HE DIDN'T DECK ME!)

The young fella went back to his truck and (rather innocently looking) held up this bottle(?) of ....AXE. "All I use is this stuff" he said non-chalantly.
(I think the label DID read "deodorant" btw...and NOT cologne!) I was secretly thinking: He smelled that good with merely deodorant? I got the idea he must be spritzing the stuff throughout the day to make it last THAT long! I'll even pose THIS as a question too: Are men doing THAT these days?....repeating applications of their (whatever) smelly stuffs?

This thread is proving quite interesting to me. I'm in my early fifties. I'm from a legacy of men in my family who always splashed on a bit of aftershave or cologne before heading out the door each morning. And, I know better than to use their Old Spice or Aqua Velva today! I know times have changed. But, I'm kinda surprised to realize that pine rosin or rubbing a cinnamon stick or pumpkin pie spice on myself would do the trick for the opposite sex these days, you know? :biggrin1: I mean, talk about "getting back to the basics"!

Here's hoping some others nearer my age (i.e. lurkers :wink: ) might be willing to join in this discussion. What are YOU buying and / or using?

Am I the only one so reluctant to head out back to that nearest pine tree?

Or....for that matter, the spice rack out in the kitchen?