Lady Gaga on SNL

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by JustAsking, Oct 7, 2009.

1. JustAsking

Gold Member

Did anyone see Lady Gaga on SNL? I really haven't paid any attention to her until this. She has always looked to me like an interesting performance artists but I never realized she was such a good entertainer in a conventional sense.

If you go to the link, watch the wacky gimble rig for a while, but the really good performance stuff starts around at around 1:45 when she goes to the piano.

Is she cool or am I whacked?

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

She is the closest thing the straight community will get to a drag queen without actually seeing a man in a dress. But we love her just the same. :biggrin:

I first thought she was a silly, pop princess. A one trick pony with just a cute and quirky gimmick. But she did show some panache on her SNL performance. The medley on the piano will boost her credibility as an actual musician. But we'll see if she can keep it up if and when there's a second album.

#2 B_VinylBoy, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. B_Dustydo

B_Dustydo New Member

I don't know if I'm going to get flamed or if I should be ashamed but I like her music.
    There I said it.
    Now, is there a 12 step program I need to attend?

4. JustAsking

Gold Member

Flamed and ashamed, with no one to blame. If you are in trouble for this, then so am I. See you at the LGA meeting.

<Dusty stands and faces the small group>: "My name is DustyDo and I think Lady Gaga is cool."
    <small group in the church basement answers in ensemble> : "Hellooo Dustydoo. Welcome."

Ok, so VB, tell me something. On a visceral level for me, there seems to be something that feels right about the gay community adopting people like Cher, or Liza, or perhaps Lady Gaga as icons. But I never did understand it intellectually. Is it because these performers are bigger than life?

I can see a similarity between Gaga and Cher, for example. Both of them put on a pageant of a show and they are extremely confident performers. But I don't think I am really understanding it. I am missing something essential about it, I think.

5. B_am12388

B_am12388 New Member

I thought she did a great job on SNL. She looked like she lost weight too, cause she looked skinnier than usual, and that's a good thing. She sound great too, as she usually does, and she's a very talented piano player. I loved her crazy outfits, and her sexy new hairstyle. I just love her in general, she's awesome!

6. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

#6 D_Tim McGnaw, Oct 7, 2009
  7. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    She won me over with the piano routine. Really good stuff. But I kept thinking, "she doesn't need the rig or the shtick.

Madonna looked kinda freaky.

8. beachbum1971

beachbum1971 Member

Albums:
    I love her! She is creative and sexy and can really sing. She used to be a go-go dancer. She kept her clothes on for that, unlike a typical stripper. Love her CD!

9. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Member

What an ass... I'd be all over that

10. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Don't you hate it when you go to a party and you're wearing the exact same outfit?

I love her unplugged versions. She always adds a lot of blues and soul, and also shows off her great piano skills. She also interacts with the audience more. She's a great songwriter. I wasn't a fan until this year. Poker Face is on my 'faves' playlist.

11. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Enjoy her work. Refreshing to see someone who is actually talented and understands the concept of entertainment

12. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

I wasn't a fan of her music until I heard her perform Poker Face unplugged and I actually thought she did a fantastic job. She's a great performer, no doubt, but I still think her music gets annoying pretty quickly.

You should also check out her performance at the VMAs which was quite a spectacle.

Although I'm usually very intrigued by her outfits, I just think the one in that SNL video was impractical. She could barely move, and had trouble sitting down at her piano.

She's something, that's for sure.

13. D_Nickthess09

D_Nickthess09 New Member

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Strictly my opinion, of course, but most singers that do well with the gay community seem to have some level of unspoken connection with them. Whether it be their subtle mannerisms, a few campy one liners that strike chords within the deeper regions of gay culture, or simply by the way they achieved their success (especially if there's drama attached to it). Lady Gaga grew up in New York, and going by the way that she acts & dresses you can tell she probably spent nights at some of gay bars in the Village watching some of the drag queens doing live performances on stage. If you've ever seen shows from people like Joey Arias who can sing a somber jazz tune almost exactly like Billie Holiday, you'd know what I'm talking about.

And if you haven't... then put it on your to do list. :wink:

Nah... IMO, Lady Gaga still has a lot to prove before she really gets to the status of a person like Cher. However, she did win a lot of people over with her SNL performance.

15. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Lady Gaga has made her support the gay community quite vocal:
    She's also openly bisexual and her label happens to work with a LGBT marketing company, FlyLife. And at the VMAs, she dedicated her award to "God and the gays", so it's really no wonder why she's so popular with the gay community.

16. elegant20

Gold Member

She is also a Westchester native, but moved to Manhattan at a very young age, I believe.

17. JustAsking

Gold Member

Yes, she has a lot of dues to pay before she is as iconic as Cher from anyone's point of view.

Thanks VB and DB for the explanation. I was just wondering if there was something essential I was missing in the connection between certain performers and the gay community.

Hey, I am a straight guy living in a small town in the midwest. So what do I know besides the stereotypes I am fed in the media?

18. D_Portelay Porquesword

Lady GaGa upon signing to tour with Kanye (knuckle head) West told her managment and Kanye face to face: "I am gay and my show will be a gay show."

She has written for the Pussy Cat Dolls and Britney so the girl has made serious money via other artists. (those are just the ones that come to mind.)

I have liked her from the beginning and believed there was more to her than the label of one hit wonder.

I love the artistic and presentational aspects of her performances. Of course, the gay community is going to latch on that with a quickness. She's cool besides and shows no signs of compromising herself for the sake of a record label.

She worked at Interscope records for a time. Here is the Wiki link to Lady GaGa.

I thought the bit with Madonna was hilarious.

JustAsking I think you are right about the gay icon status, she is however well on her way.

#18 D_Portelay Porquesword, Oct 7, 2009
  19. JustAsking

Gold Member

I found some Joey Arias videos on youtube and now I see what you mean. Cher, Gaga, Bette Midler, etc, have a drag queen component to their style. Cher's seems more innate, but Midler and Gaga make it seem more like a performance. Lots of costumery with them all, though, and a keen sense of performance art for its own sake.

20. D_Portelay Porquesword

Who says you have to be gay to figure these things out :wink:

It's a bit of theater and glam all rolled up into a nice entertaining package.

Joey was in Cirque's Vegas show for a time. Don't know if he is still part of it now.

Draft saved Draft deleted