Lady's DIY.

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by SpoiledPrincess, Nov 10, 2007.

1. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

No not about masturbation, about actual do it yourself. Nj mentioning her toolbox in another thread made me think about this. The ladies on here who are living alone, how good are you at DIY and does your toolbox consist of a pair of tweezers and a nail file that doubles up as a screwdriver?

I'm hopeless at DIY, when I was married my husband was a dab hand at any type of repair from electrical, decorating, plumbing to fixing the car, consequently I never learned to do any of that stuff, I can wire a plug that's about my limit.

My tool box consists of a screw driver set, a hammer, and some bolt croppers I acquired somehow. Fortunately I have three brothers who are always willing to fix things for me, in return I cook them a meal and make them some cakes.

2. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dremel tool kit, rotary saw, jig saw, cordless drill set, router bits (no router:rolleyes:), 128 piece tool kit (minus lost bits more like 103), various pliers, wrenches, hammers, safety goggles.

I love making things with my hands but I'm somewhat hampered by the confines of a one bedroom apartment and noise complaints from other tennants. I built shelves for my bedroom at my mother's house then had to move them in once complete.

I want a garage.

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I want a dremel, as tools go they're really appealing, all those little attachments are cool. If I have to fix something it's either phone my brothers or improvise, as my improvising usually involves a staple gun it's better phoning my brothers.

4. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have two tool bags and two power drills.... (and no, I'm not talking about vibrators cuz I don't own any).

Last week I replaced a broken handle on a toilet, but I usually rely on handsome men to come and fix things. :wink:

PS: You're lucky, SP. My brother is useless. I'm handier than he is!

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Staple guns are incredibly handy to have, I forgot to mention those. I have a POS one that came with a kit and a kick ass one I bought separately.

6. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I have heard that the two most useful things to have are WD-40 and duct tape.

If something doesn't move, and it's supposed to, use WD-40. If something moves but it isn't supposed to, use duct tape.

Unfortunately I'm pretty hopeless with the DIY. I would've been interested in learning it, but my dad was just too impatient with my mistakes, and no one else would teach me.

7. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I'm very handy. My dad usually likes to help though.. makes him feel useful. When I was a teen my brother and I used to build forts and stuff outside in the bush behind my house. The bed I made is still there... I built my guinea pig cage, toys for them, and an outdoor cage for my rabbit that I no longer use.

8. Love-it

Gold Member

My wife has a quite extensive mechanical tool set that she and we have accumulated for her over the years, she used to change the oil in her truck and mine for many years, but once she got a new truck she let the dealership maintain it because of the warranty situation. She uses hand tools in her job and the other day when we were buying a new phone she bought a $39 Leatherman tool.

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Oh I can point and rake out better than most builders.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

So basically you are saying she married you for your big, pretty cock; because you are all but useless outside the bedroom. :wink::cool: j/k

11. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

I'm an instrument fitter at a very large muti national company, I am a crew trainer and I write "current best practice' manuals (but not without spell check) I have been around tools all my life (both of the metal and human type) I am able to re-calibrate and re-fit oil, gas,water and refactory systems attached to most smelting systems.....I consider myself able to handle most tools and I am able to fix most things.
    I do have a large collection of toys...arrhhh tools!!
    (giggles)
    Dragonfly

12. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a ratchet set, rubber mallet, screwdriver set and can take apart an engine and put it back together with no extra part. Well, maybe not, but I've done it once, and it turned over for me after. I can change my own spark plugs, and reset the timing belt/chain (as long as I have access to the field manual for the car in question). I can change the tires, the oil, the air filter, and replace the oil filter and though I neverr have, I bet I can change the transmission fluid too. I can repair a broken starter, And test it with a multi-meter.

I routinely fix the toilet in the basement. It has a tank in which are all parts I installed myself. I can't do anything to the toilet upstairs though. I don't know what to do when there is no tank.

I have crowbars in size big, and in size bigger, a claw hammer, ballpin hammer, and an imitation dremel. I have installed a door or two, but badly. I have no woodworking tools, because when i tried my hand, I had no talent what-so-ever, and no time to learn the skills. I made a light dimmer once, and it worked. But the wooden housing I built for it was awful, and eventually broke. No talent.

I have several saws, but I don't know what they're for. I have a power drill, but God save you if I need to use it. I used it to install our thermostat. That went well. Kinda. It works! LOL

The tool I'm best with is a spatula! No, I'm fairly handy, and pretty independant, but generally do prefer to pay someone else to do dirty jobs.

13. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Very cool. But can you do all that through the muffler?

Sorry, gynecology joke.

14. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:

*dies* Oh, thank you. You are too much!

15. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I admire that. Woodworking I can do, auto stuff, not so much.

the_joke

16. Love-it

Gold Member

She says I have a pretty cock but she thinks it's too big, I like to think that she married me for love.

As for her changing oil etc. why should I deny her the pleasure. As for my skills I built our house and she helped when she had time. Just after we moved here and started the house, it is built out of railroad bridge timbers with dovetailed corners, she had to go to work while I built the house. A story that I share with everyone is that after weeks of building the roof, 8" x 8" rafters on 4' centers with an 8" x 16" ridge beam, cathedral ceiling, 1 1/2 stories over a full basement, the ridge was 30' above ground level, we were putting the metal roofing on. Imagine the first week of October it snowed and the next week it was 100 degrees, I am not kidding, our roof has 8/12 and 9/12 pitches, which is steep enough that I had to be tied off for safety. When it was time to put on the gable trim, on the outside edges of the roof, I had enough of being on the roof and said that I didn't want to hang out over the edge of the roof, 30' in the air to attach the gable trim, so my wife went up there and screwed the gable trim down, I am proud of her to this day and I don't care a lick what anyone thinks of me or my manhood for letting her do the job.

We used to cut our own firewood when we lived in Montana and she split firewood, carried it in and tended the fire in our 2 room log cabin when I was plowing snow all night for the department of highways. She was happy doing it then but it isn't her preference now. She has gotten smarter!

I subscribe to the Huckleberry Finn way of life, if someone wants to do a job and is capable, let them.

I was a cabinetmaker for many years, can rebuild car engines, repair cameras (before they were mostly electric), engineered and milled metal furniture, can't weld though, plumbing, electrical, etc. I am handy and that may be why she still keeps me around.

17. Principessa

Gold Member

Love-it, do you have an identical twin brother on the east coast who is single?

18. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Or two?

19. SassySpy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh good lord. I get weak in the knees at the sight of our huge hardware store. I have always been a 'tomboy', but never had anyone to teach me really how to fix things. So I have taught myself, and have more diy manuals than Readers Digest. I'm still pretty crap at most things, and as much as I hate to say it, a 'handy' guy can get the task completed in 1/3 the time it takes me (I'm still reading the instructions). My Paul isn't by nature much of a fix-it guy, but he does try most anything I ask of him, and has (irritatingly!) managed to 'effortlessly' fix things I've struggled with for hours.:rolleyes:
    My tool box is finally shaping up, thanks to him. When he came home with a new cordless drill I pondered for hours what to drill holes in.:tongue:
    I've replaced the faucets, drain traps, mapped wiring circuits, fixed the fridge, sealed the attic, and am still having fun.:smile:

mmmmmmmmm power tools.........................:biggrin1:

20. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

My ex husband was brilliant at anything round the house, he was a builder when we got married but had many strings to his bow, he once took me to B&Q to look at wood, it was the most boring half hour of my life :)

Draft saved Draft deleted