Lagerfeld is a total asshole. guys and gals should speak out

Vionnet basically invented Bias Cut design, and as many many curvy women will attest, that really was revolutionary :tongue:

Thank you! I'm reading her wikipedia entry now. I'm amazed that nobody had thought of this before. I thought a lot of the sheath gowns of the 30s were bias cut but I guess they weren't?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Nor would I demure from what your saying. Except that I wasn't really talking about Lagerfeld having saved Chanel, I was pointing out that a large industry used to exist, consisting of the world's most expert and unique craftspeople who supplied any number of specific skills to the Haute Couture indutry, lacemakers, Beader, specialiis embroiderers, the list is huge. The collapse of Haute Couture saw colllapse in these crafts because what they make is so laboriously constructed and expensive that no other part of the industry could make using them cost effective.

Lagerfeld by maintaiing Chanel's commitment to Haute Couture has inured the continued existence of a host of these ancient and exquisit crafts, regardless of his actual worth as a designer he has to get credit for that.

As both and artist and a craftsperson myself, I can accept tthat my work is not to other people's tatse sometimes, as wold many of those who work in contemprary Haute Coutre too I'm sure. But writing off their work as rags, and horrible is not an merely an expression of personal opinion but a denigration of the expert labour of many people who work harder than most people could probably imagine. I presume that your opinion is based on a keen understanding, perhaps of a first hand nature, of what it takes to be even an apprentice Beader at one of the best atelier ?
My opinion is based purely on the fact that I own some exquisite older clothing. And that the majority of my late mothers clothing is in storage at The Metropolitan Museum until I can figure out what to do with it. Looking at the work that is being done now vs. what is possible from my view is the basis for my opinion. I'm sorry if I upset the sensibility of the work that you do. I am just a semi-retired lawyer with an opinion. As I said earlier, it's subjective neither one of us is right or wrong...We are each entitled to our view based on our experience.

Rags? Still the show that popped my eyes out, Dior's Spring 2007 collection by Galliano. The workmanship is heartbreakingly beautiful. I'm very thankful there are still people who can create such masterworks. I wish that clip had better close-ups of the embroidery, beadwork, and tailoring.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
My opinion is based purely on the fact that I own some exquisite older clothing. And that the majority of my late mothers clothing is in storage at The Metropolitan Museum until I can figure out what to do with it. Looking at the work that is being done now vs. what is possible from my view is the basis for my opinion. I'm sorry if I upset the sensibility of the work that you do. I am just a semi-retired lawyer with an opinion. As I said earlier, it's subjective neither one of us is right or wrong...We are each entitled to our view based on our experience.

Oh come on, did I say you weren't entitled to your opinion ? I merely wondered at the basis of it is all. You'll notice though that I would rarely axpress an opinion about the quality of modern Law practice, despite many of my family members and friends being lawyers. I wouldn't really feel fully qualified to make such a pronouncement.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Media can attempt to foist any image of beauty as defined by the people who are trying to sell you a lot of product with very high mark-up. It's up to us to remind ourselves of this and not be such tools of corporate greed.

So true of fashion and other pop culture trends too numerous to list.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh come on, did I say you weren't entitled to your opinion ? I merely wondered at the basis of it is all. You'll notice though that I would rarely axpress an opinion about the quality of modern Law practice, despite many of my family members and friends being lawyers. I wouldn't really feel fully qualified to make such a pronouncement.
No I merely said you were entitled to your opinion and I was entitled to mine. Based on what I have written do you think that I don't have some knowledge on the subject? We clearly are never going to agree so that is the basis of my comment.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rags? Still the show that popped my eyes out, Dior's Spring 2007 collection by Galliano. The workmanship is heartbreakingly beautiful. I'm very thankful there are still people who can create such masterworks. I wish that clip had better close-ups of the embroidery, beadwork, and tailoring.

I've loved John Galliano's work ever since I saw Cate Blanchett wearing this gown on Oscar night ten years ago. The attention to detail he gives to each creation is flawless. I'm a vintage clothing shopper myself and love to find hidden treasures from the classic designers but one of my secret desires is the chance to slip into a Galliano creation. One can dream, can't they? :smile:

KL may very well be a short-sighted douchebag but he's not the only one. Legend has it that Eileen Ford refused to hire Angie Everhart because she claimed redheads didn't sell in the fashion world. One year later when Angie landed the cover of Glamour magazine she mailed a copy to Eileen.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've loved John Galliano's work ever since I saw Cate Blanchett wearing this gown on Oscar night ten years ago. The attention to detail he gives to each creation is flawless. I'm a vintage clothing shopper myself and love to find hidden treasures from the classic designers but one of my secret desires is the chance to slip into a Galliano creation. One can dream, can't they? :smile:

KL may very well be a short-sighted douchebag but he's not the only one. Legend has it that Eileen Ford refused to hire Angie Everhart because she claimed redheads didn't sell in the fashion world. One year later when Angie landed the cover of Glamour magazine she mailed a copy to Eileen.

Success is the best revenge!

That gown is amazing. I love that back. It looks like jewelry.

You can find vintage pieces like that on occasion. There's an amazing shop across the street from my shrink that has vintage gowns you would just swoon over. You should have seen my sister at her engagement party wearing a pink sheath covered with those tiny tubes (don't know what they're called). I believe it was a Givenchy dress but I'm not certain.

We desperately need a get-together. Grrrrr..... How do you get all the DC people together at once?

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He's a dress maker (rag trade) for Christ sake, and he might make millions off the backs of child and sweat shop labour but you want to see him as some glossy image maker. He is of no account, stop sucking up to people like him! His opinions like his designs are not original.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
No I merely said you were entitled to your opinion and I was entitled to mine. Based on what I have written do you think that I don't have some knowledge on the subject? We clearly are never going to agree so that is the basis of my comment.

We don't need to agree :wink: Like I said, despite a layman's interest in the law, and having numerous friends and relatives who practice it, I wouldn't pretend to have more than a layman's opinion on matters legal. And should a lawyer point out to me that the details of any specific legal matter were more complicated and more subtle than I had at first understood I would naturally defer to their expert knowledge of the subject.

What I'm saying is, of course you have every right to express whatever opinion you wish to hold on the fashion industry, and naturally have every right to not like the work of any specific designer or season or any ammount of seasons for that matter. But to dismiss the work of a whole atelier as nothing but rags, and to suggest that their work no longer meets the standards of the past does in fact suggest only a casual acquaintance with their work.

In my work as a Goldsmith I have had the completely overwhelming honour to be employed on a couple of occasions by two of Paris atelier to do specific work related to my training in the making of gold thread as a sort of expert consultant. I would be betraying a confidence if I used any names, but the Grand Dame of a very well known atelier who has worked for most of the greatest designers of the latter half of the twentieth century once told me that she thought some of the work she and her contemporaries did as a young woman would be rejected as substandard these days.

She explained, that like any craft her's is improved with each generation which undertakes it. She said that modern techniques in producing the raw materials she uses have made certain aspects of her work which used to insanely difficult much easier, allowing her and her employees time to concentrate on refining and improving their finished product in ways her mother (who also ran the atelier in question) could never have dreamed of. She pointed out that her staff are better paid and have much better working conditions which also contribute to an improvement in their work. She also explained that because they work for far fewer clients the ammount of time able to be spent on the work they do is much greater.

She also explained that because Haute Couture has become the preserve of a clientele with more money than Croesus the standards expected of it are commensurately much higher than they once were. She laughed at the Paris snobs who insist that the quality of the craftsmanship in the Great Grandmother's dress is unsurpassable and told me that this was nostalgia mixed with a natural tendency to believe in a vanished golden age which in fact never existed in terms of quality. She said that for professional reasons she was sometimes required to agree with this view because by doing so she flattered those who held it.

Naturally she mourned the death of certain skill sets and crafts and explained that certain materials were simply no longer produced or available and so there are some examples of "the lost knowledge of the Ancient's" so to speak, but they have in some cases been more than made up for by modern innovations and improvements which have added new dimensions to what her studio produces.

But like I say, and I'm sure the Grand Dame would concur, you are as entitled to dislike the end product as you wish, it's just that both she and I would dispute with you over the actual quality and refinement of the work produced regardless of its aesthetic qualities. There is a difference between a thing looking beautiful and a thing being beautifully made. Tastes change, standards of beauty are variable, but quality of craftsmanship remains testable against that of the past, and in my opinion the Paris atelier of today produce work at least as good as those of the past even if it is put to uses I do not appreciate.

Like I said, I may not like the work of Turner and might never want to own one of his paintings, but I can fully accept the man's genius and skill.

Last edited:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought most of these successful creative types are assholes - he's just more public about his elitism.

Other asshole creative types I can think of...

Frank Lloyd Wright
Elton John
Editor of Vogue
Martha Stewart
Babs Strisand

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been reading a lot about the fashion industry and the insistence on ultra-thin women, and some of the awful comments to those posts by people saying that being fat is worse, and stuff like that.

See, the problem is not that we are being necessarily pro-obesity here (yeah, we all know it leads to health problems, but so does anorexia!). The problem is when normal sized women are called fat by the media! I mean, when they talk about a woman who is a size 8 as being fat, there is a problem! In The Real World, a size 8 is a slim woman! A size 12-14 is average (although it may be a bit above "ideal" weight, probably not unhealthily so, especially if she exercises and all).

And just tonight I was looking at an article where Christian Louboutin was saying that the Barbie doll had fat ankles! WTF???