Lake effect snows

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ital8, Feb 8, 2007.

1. ital8

ital8 New Member

I saw on the news today that parts of Oswego, NY got around 111 inches of snow. It's unconfirmed, but still, how does anyone dig out of that amount? That's about nine feet of snow. Also more snow is on the way. It was also stated that this was the biggest lake effect snow amount ever recorded in U.S. history.

2. jjsuperbird

jjsuperbird Member

Just one month ago we were crying that global warming was killing winter.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

The've stopped calling it Global Warming. Now they're hedging their bets with "Global Climate Change."

4. B_josiah852

B_josiah852 New Member

It is killing winter as we have known it. The irrational climate changes and huge climate swings are supposedly caused by global warming. We had a ice storm here a month ago where the ice didn't freeze to the streets but did power lines and trees. As many as 70,000 was without power here and many of these was without power for over a week. Not a tree was left undamaged. Many homes and vehicles destroyed by falling trees. Forty million dollars worth of damage not including the twenty million dollar contract to pick up and haul all the trees and limbs downed by the ice storm. The trees and limbs they say will cover 12 acres of land 3 stories tall when they get it all hauled away. This was no normal winter and neither is there a place in the US that is having a normal winter. Global warming doesn't mean the winters are just going to be warmer. There is a lot more to it. Many of us have seen what it is doing. Can't wait for spring and I will never complain about the heat again.

5. ital8

ital8 New Member

Where I come from, NJ, it reached 70 degrees in early January. Now we are in a deep freeze for the past week. I also heard that since November, December, and half of January were so mild that the bears did not go into hibernation. Unfortunately, due to the unusually warm first half of winter many animals gave birth to litters, but many are now dead because of the sudden change from the warm to bitter cold temperatures.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    er, best do some more reading about climate change. Heavier snowfalls and increased climate variability are completely consistent with global warming theory and predictions.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Thanks for that, SG.

Here's a super-simplified explanation: The globe warms (the entire globe, average yearly temperatures) which in turn allows parts of the polar ice caps to melt and also allows more evaporation of the liquid surface waters. This interrupts such ocean currents as the gulf stream (which affects the world climate, in both summer and winter) altering the "norms," hotter summers and colder winters.

I concur with SpeedoGuy, find some good material on the subject and read up.

8. jjsuperbird

jjsuperbird Member

thanks for the advice to 'read up' on the subject guys.

Now what subject would that be? my attempt at humour or your attempt to prove how smart you are? :smile:

I donate thousands of dollars of my own money every year to environmental causes. I drive a Toyota Hybrid product and try to cut my personal energy consumption whenever I can.

I was trying to be funny but I guess some might have interpreted my post as a slight on the climate change/global warming agenda. No slight was intended. I do consider it a serious issue.

JJ

9. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Sorry, JJ, but we have been conditioned to take posts like yours fairly seriously, unless you make it a little more blatant. This site has some of the brightest, and also some of the dimmest, people you can imagine. On subjects like these, please don't be so subtle! I have actually encountered people who know the phrase "global warming" but have no clue whatsoever what it means or what it entails. That never stopped them from pretending to actually know something about it. We just never know around here...

10. skunkdawg

skunkdawg New Member

I live down the road from the Tug Hill region. The weather service confirmed the final total from this lake effect event was 141 inches in Redfield, N.Y. This is a record for a seven day storm. Tug hill usually gets anywhere from 300 to 400 inches in a season. This is not the biggest lake effect storm, the lake effect stoprm in 1966 was bigger and it was over a peroid of 4-5 days. If you live in this area you get use to it. Everyone helps each other. A lot of the older homes (built in the 1800's) have doors on the second floor where you can walk up the snow drift and enter your home. Also being a very rural area there are plenty of places to put the snow

11. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    And I've encountered people who confused global warming with ozone depletion, an atmospheric pollution problem skeptics insisted was not man caused and were proved incorrect about.

12. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    The weather in Texas is just fine.

13. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I've never experienced lake effect snow, but my mom was raised in Ohio... so I've heard all the horror-stories!!

Draft saved Draft deleted