Largest class-action suit ever against Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Politics' started by helgaleena, Dec 6, 2010.

1. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    US supreme court to decide if Walmart lawsuit can proceed | Business | The Guardian

The US supreme court said today it would decide if the largest sex-discrimination lawsuit in US history, against Walmart, can proceed. Female employees seek billions of dollars in damages because they say they were paid less than men and given fewer promotions. It involves as many as 1.5 million current and former female workers at the company's 3,400 US stores over the past decade.
    The Supreme Court is expected to hear arguments in the case, which immediately became the most important business dispute before the justices this term, in March, with a ruling likely by the end of June.
    The ruling could affect other class-action lawsuits. Anthony Sabino, a professor of law and business at St John's University in New York, said the case "will test the very limits of class litigation".

Since this corporation has become such a huge part of retail and the service sector, I suspect it will serve as a bellwether for economic as well as legal precedent.

#1 helgaleena, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Walmart: too big to be sued?

:wink:

3. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

^"Too big to be held accountable" is more apt...

4. sargon20

Gold Member

This being the Roberts Court is there any point in these hearings? Just go ahead and rule for Wal-Mart and spare as all the drama.

Is the Roberts Court Pro-Business?

5. SweetLovesVick

SweetLovesVick New Member

Many here in NY have sued Wal-mart for sexual harassment and being constantly felt up be Wal-mart managers who come up from down south to run the stores when they open. Some have had security tape seized by police to prove what has happened to them.

Yet all the cases right up to the end were thrown out and not one ex-employee ever saw a dollar for what they went through. Lawyers here have also sued for woman being underpaid, no benefits and longer then 12 hour shifts. Never has a case been won to this day. I wish them luck in class action suits almost 75% of the money won goes to paying for lawyers fees and not much goes to the action winners.

6. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Which gets back to some of the things I've been hinting at in other threads regarding possible candidates for president, who may run, who may win.

Many are comfy with the traditional "good ole' boy" ways of hiring, firing, and paying salaries. Some even want to take us "back".

Whatever on earth makes them think that any woman president of this country, Republican or Democrat, is going to allow this kind of discriminatory double standard to continue, I don't know. Or perhaps they too easily forget the historic parallels that the Women's Rights Movement has always had with other causes for civil rights.

Methinks they may yet be in for a few "changes" they didn't count on.

7. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh I dunno, BC; Palin is duplicitous enough to justify 'pity on Walmart' to herself somehow.

8. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, or dumb enough... one of the two. Forgive my momentary lapse in judgment. :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted