Largest March on Washington

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Is it too late (or ironic) to say that the "Million Man March", hosted by Louis Farrakhan, attracted more people than this so-called rally?

Capital Pride last June had over 200,000 marchers. The title of this thread, Largest March on Washington, must refer to the fact that it's the largest march/rally since Labor Day. Otherwise it's complete wishful thinking on the part of the OP, who really should ponder his topics before posting threads destined to be gigantic FAILs.

Poor Skippy.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As convenient as your analogy may seem, it isn't valid. You see, many people have a problem with this health care bill of Obama's because they are in a situation where their employers pay for health care, and it is considered a "benefit" as part of their employment package. Where people find it a bit unnerving is that now the Government wants to say "hey big business, we will take care of that 'benefit' and then the government says to the employee - 'hey your taxes are going up for health care that isn't as good as what you had before." While Obama claims "ya'll can keep your health insurance through your employer," the plan will likely disincentivize businesses from providing the benefit and many will eventually default to the government plan of a single payer system, which Obama has been videotaped saying is his goal (to 'phase out' private health insurance' in favor of a 'single payer' system.

Call it greed, call me a bastard, but I worked hard to earn my benefits and I don't care to default to a government run plan and see my taxes increase. If you had a good insurance benefit through your job, you would probably realize where I am coming from. It's nice to be altruistic, and I agree that those with no insurance should be given the option to PURCHASE a government option, but leave those of us who have it alone. And I know Obama promises this, but as the plan is set up now, almost no employer (greedy) would provide private health insurance anymore.

Just a thought: I think you should move out of Missouri. It's not exactly the most advanced and aware state in the Union. I think it would improve your attitude about things.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just a thought: I think you should move out of Missouri. It's not exactly the most advanced and aware state in the Union. I think it would improve your attitude about things.

Not to put a dent in your logic, but the OP's from Michigan.

D

deleted15807

Republicans HATE spending.

No they don't. How do you explain the Bush presidency? As conservative George Will said.........
...........Republican ticket while Republicans -- whose prescription drug entitlement is the largest expansion of the welfare state since President Lyndon Johnson's Great Society gave birth to Medicare in 1965; and a majority of whom in Congress supported a lavish farm bill at a time of record profits for the less than 2 percent of the American people-cum-corporations who farm -- and their administration were partially nationalizing the banking system, putting Detroit on the dole.

They love spending on weapons and war and tax cuts. Spend spend spend away.

Bush Beats Johnson: Comparing the Presidents

Revised data released during the summer by the
Congressional Budget Office (CBO) provide analysts the
ability to make side-by-side comparisons of the spending
habits of each president during the last 40 years.1 All
presidents presided over net increases in spending overall,
though some were bigger spenders than others. As it turns
out, George W. Bush is one of the biggest spenders ofthem all. In fact, he is an even bigger spender than
Lyndon B. Johnson in terms of discretionary spending.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyrianruler

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have a great idea that will make this all work.

1) If you are elected in the government, you do not receive a salary. That will generate a lot of money for more social programs. If you are rich enough to run for office, you most likely don't need anymore money.
2) Lobbying is illegal. If I offer someone with authority money to do something for me it's called a bribe...i.e., a crime, not a slush fund, not a campaign contribution...it's a fucking bribe. Businesses and interest groups own way too much of our government to really make it for the people and by the people.
3) Raise the taxes on the rich 1 or 2% more, it's not a lot off them, since they aren't a large percent of the population, but it will make a lot more difference for improving social infrastructure.
4) Taking all forms of public assistance in small areas and closing all cases and making people reapply so that auditors can review them on a case per case basis in local districts. This can aid in weeding out who really needs it, and who doesn't. Small areas randomly selected from all over the country will help problems all over. I'm sick of hearing the white republican registered welfare queens that live in upstate new york screaming about how minorities just are lazy and take all the benefits. Well guess what, now you'll have to prove you need them too since you hate government spending so much.
5) Increase taxes on corporations that outsource. Too many jobs were taken out of the country in the last eight years under Bush because companies were given incentives to do so. If they want to stubbornly stick by outsourcing practices, they'll have to pay for it.
6) Make white collar crimes punishable by death (like in China). White collar crimes are economic terrorism. They destroy companies, communities, and lives, all for the benefit of the few that never really get justice handed to them. Execute a couple of these fuckers and they'll think twice about it, and it will keep money circulating not stagnant in some asshole's pocket.
7) All patents that are shelved by corporations (such as alternative energy sources shelved by car and oil companies) must be used after a certain period of time, or they are put on the open market for auction to be used, and they cannot be bought again by that corporation, or any of its subsidiaries to shelve it again. This will create jobs, and will get us away from dependence on foreign oil, and preserve the environment from drilling in this country.
8) Cap CEO salaries. In Japan the average CEO makes only 35% more than the average worker, here it's like 200+% more. Caps increase money saved by the company and can lead to more growth. And while on the subject, no more golden parachutes either. I don't know what kind of dumbass bullshit is this. When you are bad at your job, you generally are just fired and thrown on the street. If you are bad at your job as CEO, you get lots of money and perks for ruining a company and then you can get a job at another company? If there is such a complaint about making golden parachutes illegal, then I say equalize it. I want to see golden parachutes for everyone that works. If I'm the worst burger flipper at McDonalds, I want a severance agreement where I'm taken care of until I can get the same or better job at Burger King.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
MSN called it "tens of thousands" (hardly two million) adding:

"FreedomWorks Foundation, a conservative organization led by former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, organized several groups from across the country for what they billed as a "March on Washington."

[FreedomWorks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : FreedomWorks is a conservative non-profit organization based in Washington D.C., United States. FreedomWorks trains volunteer activists and wages campaigns to encourage them to mobilize, engage fellow citizens, and influence their political representatives. Several of FreedomWorks' campaigns have been described as "astroturfing," or projecting the false impression of grassroots organizing. FreedomWorks' spokesmen have denied this.]

"Other sponsors of the event include the Heartland Institute, Americans for Tax Reform and the Ayn Rand Center for Individuals Rights."

[The Heartland Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : The Heartland Institute is an American libertarian/conservative free market-oriented public policy think tank based in Chicago, Illinois. The Institute has been actively involved in debate over tobacco policy, opposing restrictions on smoking and criticizing science which documents the harms of secondhand smoke.]

[Americans for Tax Reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : Americans for Tax Reform is an advocacy group whose goal is "a system in which taxes are simpler, flatter, more visible, and lower than they are today. ATR's Ronald Reagan Legacy Project has the goal of renaming public buildings to honor the former president.
ATR has supported United States tobacco companies. ATR (and the Heartland Institute) was a member of the Cooler Heads Coalition, whose position on the global warming controversy was that "the science of global warming is uncertain, but the negative impacts of global warming policies on consumers are all too real".]

[ Ayn Rand Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : In 2008, The Ayn Rand Institute opened the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights ("ARC") in Washington, D.C. to specialize in issues of public policy.
During the current economic crisis, the ARC has been a vocal proponent of the position that government intervention is responsible for the crisis, and that the solution lies not in further government regulation but in moving toward full laissez-faire capitalism.
On foreign policy, the ARC advocates American national self-interest, including ending the regimes that sponsor terrorism, rather than the Bush Administration's policies which they see as timid, halfway measures that only weaken America's position in the world. ]

Last edited:

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I decided to cite a UK newspaper website, to avoid the politicization of this report, since FoxNews, etc would be dismissed by many. .

Today, estimates show that nearly TWO MILLION people marched on Washington today to protest Obama, his mandates, and Pelosi.

So, while many of you on this board cite a "lunatic fringe," that opposed Obama, I think this public display shows that this viewpoint is not some extremist "fringe" viewpoint.

Up to two million march to US Capitol to protest against Obama's spending in 'tea-party' demonstration | Mail Online

Oh, and it's two million that showed up, not two million "Mickey Mouses" that ACORN registered for the event.

It wasn't as republican as you think. But go ahead, conservative assholes, and shoot your stupid fucking mouths off and get cocky. I know who is the driving force behind the mass turnouts. Without that force, you are all nothing, and will be nothing in 2010 and 2012. Ron Paul and his followers own the GOP, and without us, you lose.

It's just like the Obama people all confused because suddenly their healthcare plan is failing to go anywhere. Obama was only elected because the center hated McCain more. we hate the fuckign wars, we hate torture, we hate your fucking bailouts, and we are no longer pledged to any party and we will fight both parties until you fucking losers get it through your thick fucking skulls we are tired of the corrupt bullshit. You can't take us for granted, and we will fight everything.

MSN called it "tens of thousands" (hardly two million) adding:
I've seen some serious overhead pictures, there were definitely over a million, sorry.

Me and my brother recieved $115200 combined over the course of 6 years
Can I have some social security money?

Last edited:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Capital Pride last June had over 200,000 marchers. The title of this thread, Largest March on Washington, must refer to the fact that it's the largest march/rally since Labor Day. Otherwise it's complete wishful thinking on the part of the OP, who really should ponder his topics before posting threads destined to be gigantic FAILs.

Poor Skippy.

Exactly, and I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers for the upcoming GLBT National March on Washington in October would be just as high as Capital Pride if not more. I'm actually planning to go this year, being that DC is only a few hours away. Kinda ironic how the party that claims there's too much spending going on can't even count human beings properly, huh?

Kidding, of course... however, I'm sure the usual, demonic rant from Uncle Ruckus will follow shortly. I'm sure he'll ignore the joke and think this is just another bout of some victimizing, socially oppressing hypocrisy.

Last edited:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The banking industry went to shit because of bad mortgages. Why? Four reasons.

2.) Banks are GREEDY and this is where the "interest only" loan came from.

Come on, an "interest only loan"?

I'm surprised someone as right-leaning as yourself doesn't understand the purpose for that particular financial vehicle.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The National Park Service estimated between 10 and 20 thousand people attended the rally. They usually get pretty close. I was in DC today and there were no major traffic delays. It was about like a Washington Nationals baseball game.
Good point.

That many ppl, according to the OP 2M, visit a city for one day, you'd think there would be lots of traffic jams etc. Like there are for the actual HUGE gatherings.

How many seats are there in the stadium where the Nationals play?

B_cosmognosis

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

1) If you are elected in the government, you do not receive a salary. That will generate a lot of money for more social programs. If you are rich enough to run for office, you most likely don't need anymore money.
2) Lobbying is illegal. If I offer someone with authority money to do something for me it's called a bribe...i.e., a crime, not a slush fund, not a campaign contribution...it's a fucking bribe. Businesses and interest groups own way too much of our government to really make it for the people and by the people.
3) Raise the taxes on the rich 1 or 2% more, it's not a lot off them, since they aren't a large percent of the population, but it will make a lot more difference for improving social infrastructure.
4) Taking all forms of public assistance in small areas and closing all cases and making people reapply so that auditors can review them on a case per case basis in local districts. This can aid in weeding out who really needs it, and who doesn't. Small areas randomly selected from all over the country will help problems all over. I'm sick of hearing the white republican registered welfare queens that live in upstate new york screaming about how minorities just are lazy and take all the benefits. Well guess what, now you'll have to prove you need them too since you hate government spending so much.
5) Increase taxes on corporations that outsource. Too many jobs were taken out of the country in the last eight years under Bush because companies were given incentives to do so. If they want to stubbornly stick by outsourcing practices, they'll have to pay for it.
6) Make white collar crimes punishable by death (like in China). White collar crimes are economic terrorism. They destroy companies, communities, and lives, all for the benefit of the few that never really get justice handed to them. Execute a couple of these fuckers and they'll think twice about it, and it will keep money circulating not stagnant in some asshole's pocket.
7) All patents that are shelved by corporations (such as alternative energy sources shelved by car and oil companies) must be used after a certain period of time, or they are put on the open market for auction to be used, and they cannot be bought again by that corporation, or any of its subsidiaries to shelve it again. This will create jobs, and will get us away from dependence on foreign oil, and preserve the environment from drilling in this country.
8) Cap CEO salaries. In Japan the average CEO makes only 35% more than the average worker, here it's like 200+% more. Caps increase money saved by the company and can lead to more growth. And while on the subject, no more golden parachutes either. I don't know what kind of dumbass bullshit is this. When you are bad at your job, you generally are just fired and thrown on the street. If you are bad at your job as CEO, you get lots of money and perks for ruining a company and then you can get a job at another company? If there is such a complaint about making golden parachutes illegal, then I say equalize it. I want to see golden parachutes for everyone that works. If I'm the worst burger flipper at McDonalds, I want a severance agreement where I'm taken care of until I can get the same or better job at Burger King.

It's a decent start...

slurper_la

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
as usual, an organizer makes a false statement attributed to a news source that is NOT true and when the shit hits the fan they blame the "liberal" press:

no where, no one, at no time, EVER said there were 1 million + people at the rally!!! (except Matt Kibbe - FreedomWorks organizer - who claimed the number was from an ABC News report)

Protest Crowd Size Estimate Falsely Attributed to ABC News - ABC News

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
as usual, an organizer makes a false statement attributed to a news source that is NOT true and when the shit hits the fan they blame the "liberal" press:

no where, no one, at no time, EVER said there were 1 million + people at the rally!!! (except Matt Kibbe - FreedomWorks organizer - who claimed the number was from an ABC News report)

Protest Crowd Size Estimate Falsely Attributed to ABC News - ABC News

But I'm sure the evil, liberal media will make a public apology if they can somehow find the other 930,000 people who were supposedly at the rally. :biggrin1:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
But I'm sure the evil, liberal media will make a public apology if they can somehow find the other 930,000 people who were supposedly at the rally. :biggrin1:
Maybe the OP meant that all of people who marched are the largest ones. Like really tall or extra fat...

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
they won't!

He was being sarcastic.

And...dont be blamin this on the MI folk... Not the rest of our faults that somebody's hittin the spiked apple cider...

We should all go there and do a massive Pride and supporters march. Blow their little fucking rally figures off the MAP!

Quick - somebody invite Cher.

The biggest problem that the Democrats have right now is lack of organization.
They should have had 1 Version, ONE point of origin. Let all the other edits come in, but only one master version, not 4.

Key Republicans now have ZERO room to talk.
They sat on their duffs for 8 years, despite a huge dissatisfaction with the president.
They allowed Bank De-regulation to happen, and the banks took advantage of it.
To now stand up to a new president, be disrespectful, and knock all attempts to fix a problem they created...shows a clear republican party agenda.

Not all republicans are bad people - but the MoFo's we have in office right now are no damn good!

AllHazzardi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know, to me, I think the problem is lack of supply- We have companies which under-produce to keep the value of a product high, and we have manipulation of the very free market idea of supply and demand. I think, if we were to really want to make the free market work, we should have only one regulatory law in place- If you compete in the free market, you respect the free market. The only thing illegal is attempts to manipulate the value of supply and demand of a product. Supply is how you counter demand-based inflation, so I think if we really want to fix ourselves up, we should really just get to business. Every person who is unemployed or homeless is educated to the best of our abilities and ability to be efficient in the basic skills of carpentry, welding, mining, machinery operating, iron-working, construction, and effectively everything to do with infrastructure. We use as much of the most effective and cost-efficient technology available to make the job easier- be this machinery or other new technologies. Then, we do nothing but build in such a way that preserves the environment and ecology, while creating so much housing, agriculture, commercial, and industrial capacity that by the laws of supply and demand, even an individual paid the most meager wage with poor frequency can afford a place to stay, food to go on a table, medical services, and recreation. If we were to truly apply what we know of science across all categories to every other category to aid in the development of technology, we would literally be able to create a world that suffers no hunger, illness, or vulnerability without any damage to the environment in the process. I don't care what politicians do- they're just following trends and spinning perspectives and mentalities to communicate to the majority, whatever that may require. The real problem is far deeper in the spread of capitalistic corruption's inky black tentacles into every reach of our operation; we've applied supply and demand to everything imaginable- even to people, and what's occurring now is that all of the demand and supply cycles are coming to a cyclic synchronization- If the environment changes much more(as a result of this cancerous effect of capitalism), the demand for water and food is going to break the system. I think, if anything, if we're going to be capitalists, the only laws we make are to restrain capitalism's method of function from changing how other systems operate. The free market should be as free as a bird trapped within the cage of a planet- but its principles should never be allowed to filter into other modes of operation and value. The reason for this is simple- If you have one system which determines a price of something, and you have it interact with another system which determines a price, supply and demand becomes an exponential operation, and the cumulative effect is what destroys civilizations and has destroyed civilizations in the past.

We ignored what we needed to build up- Some guy over in Europe built a flying car; and no country has seemed to notice that if people and goods can go from A to B in 10 minutes rather than 3 hours, it'd help things move along a bit faster. We're so worried about losing the jobs in the airline industry that we don't realize we could have equally as many jobs working to build FLYING FREAKING CARS. Road maintenance too expensive? Where we should've been by now- we wouldn't need roads.

EboniGoddess

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

1) If you are elected in the government, you do not receive a salary. That will generate a lot of money for more social programs. If you are rich enough to run for office, you most likely don't need anymore money. Well, most of the money comes from campaign donations with cannot be used for what you're saying
2) Lobbying is illegal. If I offer someone with authority money to do something for me it's called a bribe...i.e., a crime, not a slush fund, not a campaign contribution...it's a fucking bribe. Businesses and interest groups own way too much of our government to really make it for the people and by the people. I don't think lobbying should be illegal. Lobbying for big buisiness and the lobbyist groups they finance should. PETA, Labor Unions, and the ACLU are ok.
3) Raise the taxes on the rich 1 or 2% more, it's not a lot off them, since they aren't a large percent of the population, but it will make a lot more difference for improving social infrastructure. Agreed!
4) Taking all forms of public assistance in small areas and closing all cases and making people reapply so that auditors can review them on a case per case basis in local districts. This can aid in weeding out who really needs it, and who doesn't. Small areas randomly selected from all over the country will help problems all over. I'm sick of hearing the white republican registered welfare queens that live in upstate new york screaming about how minorities just are lazy and take all the benefits. Well guess what, now you'll have to prove you need them too since you hate government spending so much. I dont know about welfare but as a food stamp recipient I have to reapply/ get re evaluated every 6 months for income changes.
5) Increase taxes on corporations that outsource. Too many jobs were taken out of the country in the last eight years under Bush because companies were given incentives to do so. If they want to stubbornly stick by outsourcing practices, they'll have to pay for it. Yes, lets put a tax on incoming items. Screw those asian countries who take our jobs. We gotta look out for America first.
6) Make white collar crimes punishable by death (like in China). White collar crimes are economic terrorism. They destroy companies, communities, and lives, all for the benefit of the few that never really get justice handed to them. Execute a couple of these fuckers and they'll think twice about it, and it will keep money circulating not stagnant in some asshole's pocket. Madoff says "fuck you"....lol. I totally agree. Wait, would Martha Stewart be dead?
7) All patents that are shelved by corporations (such as alternative energy sources shelved by car and oil companies) must be used after a certain period of time, or they are put on the open market for auction to be used, and they cannot be bought again by that corporation, or any of its subsidiaries to shelve it again. This will create jobs, and will get us away from dependence on foreign oil, and preserve the environment from drilling in this country. Agree
Yes, but I must add the standard CEO's pay is one thing...but when youre bonus is 10x what your salary is....we have a problem. Ford CEO Alan Mulally's base pay (salary) is $666,667 but in his first 4 months he collected $28 million for his first four months on the job.
Ford CEO Mulally got $28 million for four months on job - Apr. 5, 2007

Ericsson1228d

Experimental Member
Media
2) Lobbying is illegal. If I offer someone with authority money to do something for me it's called a bribe...i.e., a crime, not a slush fund, not a campaign contribution...it's a fucking bribe. Businesses and interest groups own way too much of our government to really make it for the people and by the people. I don't think lobbying should be illegal. Lobbying for big buisiness and the lobbyist groups they finance should. PETA, Labor Unions, and the ACLU are ok.

I can't believe that even YOU can't see your own hypocrisy here. Basically, you are saying "if I agree with the lobby, they are okay, if not, they are illegal."
Come on, don't make your self look so biased.