Laryngitis - Need Advice!

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I just got over a bad cold, and it's just now settled in my throat. My voice was starting to sound a bit raspy today, so I started drinking tea with honey, and gargled with hot salt water and vinegar solution. I'm also not talking to save what voice I have left (writing notes, etc.).

I have an important speaking engagement tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to to get my voice back before morning? Any recommendations, advice (related to my laryngitis?)?

Thanks!

Anything4you

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You could put vicks vapor rub on your neck/throat and cover with a towel. I keep marshmallow root in the house to make tea, its very soothing for the throat. Good luck and feel better.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Heat a shot of Benedictine & Brandy in the microwave for 10 seconds and drink it very slowly. If you are still having vocal problems. Right before your speech, relax your vocal cords by placing a cork between your upper and lower front teeth and recite the alphabet a couple of times out loud. Looks and sounds strange but your voice will sound magnificent.

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks for the tips! In case anyone runs into the same situation, the thing that ended up working for me was gargling with apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons) in a cup of water, and a quarter teaspoon of cayenne pepper. The concoction burned my lips (ok, they were a bit chapped!) a bit, but really got rid of the infection fast. I gargled with this mixture a couple of times a day until my voice was completely back (of course, I abused it a lot with all the speaking I was doing that week).

I was able to speak the next day, rather than the 7-10 days I usually end up suffering with the laryngitis!

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The mint strips are great because they are small and portable.... though fairly temporary.

The teas are nice and soothing (taste like shit) but you'll feel better.

My voice fades because of my allergies, it sucks. I can commiserate.