Lasik

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
yes...several years ago...when pricing came down...eye clinic in cinti oh...have a special..199 each eye...no regrets...except...dry eye syndrome...must use a lubicating drop a few times a day..odd that for a yr or so no problem...then i went to the beach and thought i was invinceable...scratched my cornea and nearly lost vision...took a year to re-grow the cornea lense...but really i would do it again...the entire procedure was painless...just a bit scary..cutting the flap and smelling the lense being lazered...better type availble now...immediate throw away the glasses...driving at night is a bit harder...but i attribute part of that to getting a bit older....but know...you will still need reading glasses...the eye's still age...do it...it is wonderful...but there are risk...follow the doctor to exact directions

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My cousin had it done a few years ago. She still has to wear glasses...

and personally I would never do it. They have contacts you can sleep in for a month so I don't see any need to take the risk of losing my site

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
oh yeah...ins does not cover...elective surgury...but worth the $....most clinic have financing...and the exam to see if you qualify is free...they measure the cornea many diff ways...some folks need follow up work...i did not...the freedom of no glasses...it was like the blindness was healed...20/15...i can see for miles and miles and miles

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
My cousin had it done a few years ago. She still has to wear glasses...

How old was she? Her eyes still could have been gradually deteriorating.
I have some form of degeneration that the doctors have said should taper off around age 25 (until the typical worsening that comes with old age, of course). I was told that if I got the surgery before then, my eyes would still continue to deteriorate as usual afterwards. Maybe something similar happened to her.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
My step-brother and father each had it done about 5-7 years ago. No complaints, regrets, difficulties. I've been seriously considering it, myself.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
she was around 25 or 26, shes around 28 or 29 now and says her vision is going back to what it was before the surgery

whatthehell

Just Browsing
Media
I had it done 7 months ago. was seeing 20/20 each eye the day after the surgery. dry eyes for a couple of months(used drops). Now my vision is still clear, very small problem with halos(no more than I had with contacts) and no glasses to fog up. only 2800 usd combined for both eyes. best 3 grand I've ever spent. One caution, buy good sunglasses, you'll need them after LASIK. Also, follow dr's orders to a tee about drops and such. That is how you get the best results.

ashencjock

Just Browsing
Media
I had it done 3 years ago. 20/20 here. It's been life-changing. My eyes get dry occassionally, but I don't ever need drops. It's sgreat to be able to go out of town and not have to pack lenses, back up lenses, solution, case, and glasses... Or when the spontaneous hook up arises, and you don't make it back home. LOL. Go for it. Just make sure you follow post-surgery instructions.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hate to wear glasses. Lasik is great if you're under 40, but ultimately, most lasik patients will need reading glasses after 40. In 2001, I became a successful candidate for bi-focal contact lenses. The eye doctor prescribed Acuve by J & J. I was instantly able to ditch my reading glasses. I can see near and far well. I've worn extended wear soft contacts since the late '70s. I've always been careful and meticulous with how I handle my contacts. My experience is that the disadvantages of contacts are far less than those of lasik. My friend who had lasik done a few years ago has bad night vision, glare problems, and had to get contacts after 2 years. Lasik? No thanks!

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Beware! It doesn't work for everyone... I have considered it for years... what a relief it would be to throw out my contacts and never have that ache behind my ears from wearing glasses. I read so much about it... but never did the literature once tell me what my optometrist (who had the procedure done 2 years ago) told me on my last check up:

He knows my work, what I need to do with my eyes... He said, "I know you have to look at fine print all the time, I have seen you look over your glasses to get a close up view. If you have Lasik done, you will never again be able to focus and refocus your eyes the way you need to for your work. I can't and I regret it."

'Nuff said. Got an awesome new pair of glasses, aluminum frames, light as a feather.

Onan

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had my eyes done about 5 years ago.....(in 2003) It was the best thing I have ever done for myself in my life. I had better than normal results. (My vision is better than 20/20.) Stephen Dell.....(brother of Michael Dell)did my eye surgery. I started wearing contact lenses at age 13......and had the eye surgery at age 37..... I wore the extended wear kind that you can sleep in. I remember being scared about getting my eyes done. My husband is the one that suggested I get it done....My contact lenses were comfortable.....but it was a little bit of a pain to always have to have my kit with me. I took my contacts out every night when I slept. He put money in our flexible spending account for me to have my eyes done......and if I didn't use the money that particular year we would use the money......So that was enough to motivate me. I got it done at the last possible moment

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Best thing in the world. I had a stigmatism corrected so I actually had two procedures on the same eye...which I new going in. The down time was almost nothing. My eye had a slight burning feeling the same day for a few hours but not a problem. I always thought, "How can I have someone on my eye while I am awake". It was so easy. When the eye is prepped and the procedure happens you don't have the sensation of anything going on. You just kind of see a bright light. From the time they started to finish was like seconds. I remember saying, "Thats it?! You're done?!" I would just check the Dr out. Do not bargin shop for your eyes. The gal I went to pionerred the procedure...Has done thousands...and know slip ups. If you live in the OC I'll give you here name...good for anybody in the OC area that wants a good Dr.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Unable to see the digital clock in the middle of the night or able to see clearly when washing or showering. I decided to considered having lasik treatment, especially as it was being advertised on TV from £395 per eye. I was very impressed with the company from the moment of making the appointment for my free initial consultation. The manager of the branch, I was to attend, rang me to confirm my appointment and enquire if I had details of my present prescription. Having thing this information he was able to tell me that one eye would cost £395 but the other, due to the high degree of the axis, would be £595. I was also informed, as I had vari-focal classes, I would still need reading glasses. This would merely be a pair of Ready Specs from Boots at around £2-3. I was somewhat disappointed, now realising I would still need reading glasses and the cost had increased.

I went along for my free consultation and was suitably impressed by the thoroughness of the examination. Things were looking to be on track for me to have the treatment, which in itself heightened my apprehension knowing I only needed to give my consent and this would happen, the point of no return.

Then the bombshell dropped, remember that the person conducting the consultation is a qualified, professional person, whom you trust, advises although your choice of laser treatment would make a vast improvement to my sight, it is not without risks. However, if you have this other type of laser treatment, the risks, are greatly reduce. Obviously you want to minimise any possible risk, What initially I thought, maybe naively, that treatment would cost me around £800, which increased to near enough a £1000. I was now being told that if I had this high-tech laser treatment, that which NASA recommends the cost would increase to £1595…..per eye. My decision to not go ahead was made. My decision was partly made due to the vast increase in cost, but more importantly due to the fact, that my vulnerability and fear of things going wrong had been used to sway me to opt for the more expensive treatment. this had the possiblility of leaving you with the thoughts of “what if” “if only I had” Fortunately on the final examination it was discovered that I had a cataract developing on my left eye, Therefore their surgeon would not carry out laser treatment knowing I would need surgery at some point in the future to replace the lens in the left eye, due to the cataract. On doing further research I discovered that the new Crystalens implants used in cataract surgery. I would eventually be able to be rid of my glasses for good. I would advise anyone don’t allow yourself be put under pressure when your vulnerability could be play upon.

Hope this experience gives you another angle to consider before taking that big step.

Good luck

Smartalk

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Beware! It doesn't work for everyone... I have considered it for years... what a relief it would be to throw out my contacts and never have that ache behind my ears from wearing glasses. I read so much about it... but never did the literature once tell me what my optometrist (who had the procedure done 2 years ago) told me on my last check up:

He knows my work, what I need to do with my eyes... He said, "I know you have to look at fine print all the time, I have seen you look over your glasses to get a close up view. If you have Lasik done, you will never again be able to focus and refocus your eyes the way you need to for your work. I can't and I regret it."

'Nuff said. Got an awesome new pair of glasses, aluminum frames, light as a feather.

Onan

Your right about it not working for everyone. We checked into the surgery for my husband's eyes..... but decided against doing it. He has strabismus (crossed eyes) and I think he is farsighted. Anyways husband's eye dr. didn't reccomend it for him.

What I did as far as finding a dr. to do my lasiks......I asked all my friends....then I interviewed dr.'s.......found out how much the costs were going to be......then we budgeted and set the money aside in a flexible spending account which is offered where my husband works. You don't have to pay tax on the money that you set aside. But you have to use it within the year. You have to be pretty close to the exact cost.....because you can't get any money back......

I chose Stephen Dell to do my eye surgery because of many things. I had quite a few friends have good results with him. I figure since his brother is so high profile.....(Michael Dell of Dell Computers) that if he had ever screwed up anybody's eyes it would be big time news. And he does have a policy that if you don't have good results ......he will redo your eye surgery. There are always risks in life in everything you do.

For me it was a win win situation. My eyes were pretty bad. Without glasses or contact lenses.....I couldn't tell the difference between boys or girls..... So any improvement was better than what I had.

I know it is only a matter of time before I will probably need reading glasses. Supposedly everyone ends up being far sighted as we age.....But hopefully I have a few more years that I get to enjoy having perfect vision. No matter what I am so glad that I took the chance and that I got to enjoy life without corrective vision for any amount of time.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think I budgeted about $3,000 to have my eyes done. This was in 2003. I paid a little bit extra $295 or so to have an extra procedure that they found gave a little bit more presise results. All I know is that my eyes were worth every penny.