Law Abiding Citizen - Morality

wblum

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just saw it and it made me think... Who supports/opposes the guy? And to what extent? What justification can you come up with that would permit you to do the things he did to those indirectly connected to the crime that pained him so? He spoke of the "slippery slope" which he obviously rode in his rationale but I wonder how many agree with him...Sorry I've had a few drinks! God Bless America (and LPSG.ORG)!!!

t1ctac

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, the legal system is fucked up in this country, what with a pair of guys with 11 convictions for B&E still walking the streets, people with 10 DUI's still driving legally, leniency for horrible murderers simply cause they talked bad about another horrible murderer and such. You get the picture.

I also can see some cases where I certainly think vigilatism would be justified (morallygrayareaspeaking of course), but things such as the killing of the whole office staff and the like, that's a different thing entirely. Vigilante justice can't really be condoned in any circumstances...but I won't condemn it in many.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think most good Americans still believe in justice. In Europe we are now more caustic in our views. In the 18th century a poor but honest inhabitant in Edinburgh who was tried by a harsh and acquisitive judge (stealing an item of more than 28 shillings meant the death penalty) demanded of the jury, why the law favoured the rich. A voice from the public gallery answered, "because the rich write the laws." This is more true now than it was over 200 years ago.

wblum

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
With all his brilliance the man couldn't understand the fact that he was the victim of a random crime and distribute justice accordingly...And yes I realize that statement acknowledges that HE and NOT the SYSTEM distribute justice but given that I dare you to find a jury of his peers that would condemn him for his actions... Regarding his actions towards the entire staff I see the connection yet disagree with his logic...BTW the victim in this case was wealthy so your useless European analysis can stay in Paris (Sorry I just hate Europe)

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
I think most good Americans still believe in justice. In Europe we are now more caustic in our views. In the 18th century a poor but honest inhabitant in Edinburgh who was tried by a harsh and acquisitive judge (stealing an item of more than 28 shillings meant the death penalty) demanded of the jury, why the law favoured the rich. A voice from the public gallery answered, "because the rich write the laws." This is more true now than it was over 200 years ago.[/QUOTE]
+1

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This is all very well to realize the fallibility of human justice but could you give me some sort of link to what it was that set you off, blum?

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
First i have to say i love the movie :heat: awesome.

And secondly i can understand why people get so frustrated with the system they feel they need/want to take things into their own hands. For instance in the movie, just because he takes the plea bargain and rats on his mate doesn't make him any less guilty if committing the crime. All it does is saves the lawyers and judges time so they don't have to investigate in such depth and go through a longer trial.

As a victim how could you not feel ripped of in a situation like that? Him confessing doesn't being back the person that's been taken from you. It just makes it worse because they don't punished accordingly.

That said their s a system for a reason, and if we all tried to dish out our own idea of justice the world would be in chaos and there would be a never ending circle of killing.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Just saw it and it made me think... Who supports/opposes the guy? And to what extent? What justification can you come up with that would permit you to do the things he did to those indirectly connected to the crime that pained him so? He spoke of the "slippery slope" which he obviously rode in his rationale but I wonder how many agree with him...Sorry I've had a few drinks! God Bless America (and LPSG.ORG)!!!

Justifying that character's actions would be the same as giving a thumbs-up to the recent plane crash through the IRS building in Texas. There are more constructive ways to fight the system than killing innocent people who have nothing to do with the situation.