LDs

CeleSTiaLFuRY

Just Browsing
Media
I know this is something that nobody probably wants to talk about, but I'm just curious to know if I'm the only person on here who has a Learning Disorder. So nobody has to ask I have ADHD. Does anybody else here have one though?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dyslexia here. It was certainly a learning disability throughout elementary school and was completely ignored in high school. I didn't really get help for it until my 30's and it's much better now, but you can believe I reread my posts many times before I hit "send".

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
I have something I dunno what it is, but I have trouble learning. Period. Unless, of course, it's explained in a certain way in which usually only I understand. People will get it, and I'll be confused as hell, and then, when the teacher is thoroughly pissed off and on the verge of calling me stupid, they explain it in some way that confuses even them, and I just ask why they didnt explain it that way the first time!?!? Then its easy from there on. My half-sisters the same way and has the same learning syle as me, and she can teach me easily, she's helped me immensly. Oops, I went off on a tangent...sorry!

Knight

Experimental Member
Media
I don't think I have any 'LD's' but I have social disorders and pent up emotions and occasionally (ever few years) will go into a rage and do something like smash a video tape over my cousin's head. Mostly it's anxiety that goes away once I force myself to do whatever I worry about, but still it's hard. But apart from that ;)

Mr.Stout

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well I have ADHA, visual Dyslexia, a minor speach impediment that I have overcome since 3rd grade but bits me in the but every now and again. I am also very prone to mix up my speech which some might say is a slight oral dyslexia (according to my mother in law who has studied it all very extensively. But I as many have stated never got diagnosed and thus went untreated all my life.

someone2004uk

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have dyslexia. It was only picked up on when I was 17 and my sociology teacher noticed that there was a big gap between my written work and my spoken intellect.

I also have dyspraxic tendencies, which means my cursive handwritting is nearly illedgable. I nearly always write in capitals if I'm writing by hand, though sometimes I will write in lower case, but always print in both cases. I'm also quite slow and lose consentration quickly when writting by hand.

Unlike madam zora, even if I read a post a billion times, unless there is a spell checker, I normally let some mistakes slip though. Half the time i just simply don't know how to spell the word I want to use. I also stammer/stutter when nervous or trying to consentrate on what I'm saying whilst talking.

I used to have very similar social disorders to knight when I was a child. I used to get very angry quite easily. I was always having tantrums. I remember getting so mad at my aunt when she lost my last life on alex kidd, I gave myself a nose bleed. My parents to me to a child phycologist, and my parents seem to have sorted most of it out.

I'm sure I've got other things going on, but I'm not totally sure what they are. I was always quite weird whien I was child. Sitting in dark cupboards, straightening gate handles, screaming at vicors, you know, the usual.

I'm sure if I ever went to a phyiatrist or counsellor, they'd make a fortune out of me.

Sweet Caroline:
Originally posted by madame_zora@Feb 4 2005, 12:53 PM
Dyslexia here. It was certainly a learning disability throughout elementary school and was completely ignored in high school. I didn't really get help for it until my 30's and it's much better now, but you can believe I reread my posts many times before I hit "send".
[post=280096]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, me too though it's rather mild and usually involves numbers.... My posts are usually ok, my checkbook is a mess.

Carrie

Duo187

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Im' Lysdexic!

But in all honesty... I'm one of those "super genius's" that everyone hates... my learning disability?

I AM LAZY!

someone2004uk

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Duo187@Feb 11 2005, 10:44 PM
Im' Lysdexic!

But in all honesty... I'm one of those "super genius's" that everyone hates... my learning disability?

I AM LAZY!
[post=282134]Quoted post[/post]​

You make it sound like dylexics are using their disablity as an excuse to be lazy or very boastful, which i can assure you is not the case. It's one of the major things I tend to worry about. One of the main things that stoped me asking for help was the stigma of going "I'm dyslexic, I can't do my homework, can i have some help please?" or "I'm dyslexic, I can do anything" and then have someone call me lazy or boastful.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. And if it is i apologise and ignore this reply. But if that's is in fact the way you feel, i hope this post helps you despell this common myth from your mind.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by someone2004uk+Feb 11 2005, 09:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(someone2004uk &#064; Feb 11 2005, 09:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-LexMan@Feb 11 2005, 10:14 AM
Dystymia here and I also have worked in Special Education for the past 11 years.
[post=281987]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;m intreged, what exactly is Dystymia?
[post=282050]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Dysthymia is a mood disorder, like manic depression, only without the mania. Not normally considered a learning disability, but it can be difficult to get dysthymic students to study, or do anything for that matter. (That&#39;s depression for you.)

Sweet Caroline -- There&#39;s a particular type of dyslexia specifically for math; it&#39;s called dyscalculia.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thanks for the feedback, jonb. Dystymia is a mild form of depression where your total affect is a littel "down"--like depression it can manifest as sadness, inability to focus/complete tasks, anger, or being easily irritated. Dystymia doesn&#39;t usually keep someone from normal functioning but it can be a pain in the ass.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by jonb+Feb 12 2005, 01:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonb &#064; Feb 12 2005, 01:44 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by someone2004uk@Feb 11 2005, 09:50 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-LexMan
@Feb 11 2005, 10:14 AM
Dystymia here and I also have worked in Special Education for the past 11 years.
[post=281987]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;m intreged, what exactly is Dystymia?
[post=282050]Quoted post[/post]​
Dysthymia is a mood disorder, like manic depression, only without the mania. Not normally considered a learning disability, but it can be difficult to get dysthymic students to study, or do anything for that matter. (That&#39;s depression for you.)

Sweet Caroline -- There&#39;s a particular type of dyslexia specifically for math; it&#39;s called dyscalculia.
[post=282236]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Then there&#39;s the dyslexic couple whose sex life was suffering because they kept doing the 96.