LDs

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by CeleSTiaLFuRY, Feb 4, 2005.

1. CeleSTiaLFuRY

CeleSTiaLFuRY New Member

I know this is something that nobody probably wants to talk about, but I'm just curious to know if I'm the only person on here who has a Learning Disorder. So nobody has to ask I have ADHD. Does anybody else here have one though?

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I have CRS.

3. Kimahri

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have Bipolar Disorder 1 with slight ADHD and some disassociative issues.

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Dyslexia here. It was certainly a learning disability throughout elementary school and was completely ignored in high school. I didn't really get help for it until my 30's and it's much better now, but you can believe I reread my posts many times before I hit "send".

5. yaoifun

yaoifun New Member

I have something I dunno what it is, but I have trouble learning. Period. Unless, of course, it's explained in a certain way in which usually only I understand. People will get it, and I'll be confused as hell, and then, when the teacher is thoroughly pissed off and on the verge of calling me stupid, they explain it in some way that confuses even them, and I just ask why they didnt explain it that way the first time!?!? Then its easy from there on. My half-sisters the same way and has the same learning syle as me, and she can teach me easily, she's helped me immensly. Oops, I went off on a tangent...sorry!

6. wonderland

wonderland Member

I have dyslexia. Which is probably why I hate to post anything.

7. Knight

Knight New Member

I don't think I have any 'LD's' but I have social disorders and pent up emotions and occasionally (ever few years) will go into a rage and do something like smash a video tape over my cousin's head. Mostly it's anxiety that goes away once I force myself to do whatever I worry about, but still it's hard. But apart from that ;)

8. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

I myself do not have any - but I many friends and my brother who do...

9. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I've got something right off the bat, I can tell you that much, but I would tend to say that any and every one of the things mentioned here might be what I had in school.

10. Mr.Stout

Mr.Stout Member

Albums:
    Well I have ADHA, visual Dyslexia, a minor speach impediment that I have overcome since 3rd grade but bits me in the but every now and again. I am also very prone to mix up my speech which some might say is a slight oral dyslexia (according to my mother in law who has studied it all very extensively. But I as many have stated never got diagnosed and thus went untreated all my life.

11. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I tend to stammer when I get angered. Maybe that's why I do everything I can to divert an argument.

12. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Dystymia here and I also have worked in Special Education for the past 11 years.

13. someone2004uk

someone2004uk Active Member

Albums:
    I have dyslexia. It was only picked up on when I was 17 and my sociology teacher noticed that there was a big gap between my written work and my spoken intellect.

I also have dyspraxic tendencies, which means my cursive handwritting is nearly illedgable. I nearly always write in capitals if I'm writing by hand, though sometimes I will write in lower case, but always print in both cases. I'm also quite slow and lose consentration quickly when writting by hand.

Unlike madam zora, even if I read a post a billion times, unless there is a spell checker, I normally let some mistakes slip though. Half the time i just simply don't know how to spell the word I want to use. I also stammer/stutter when nervous or trying to consentrate on what I'm saying whilst talking.

I used to have very similar social disorders to knight when I was a child. I used to get very angry quite easily. I was always having tantrums. I remember getting so mad at my aunt when she lost my last life on alex kidd, I gave myself a nose bleed. My parents to me to a child phycologist, and my parents seem to have sorted most of it out.

I'm sure I've got other things going on, but I'm not totally sure what they are. I was always quite weird whien I was child. Sitting in dark cupboards, straightening gate handles, screaming at vicors, you know, the usual.

I'm sure if I ever went to a phyiatrist or counsellor, they'd make a fortune out of me.

14. someone2004uk

Albums:
    I'm intreged, what exactly is Dystymia?

15. Imported

Gold Member

Sweet Caroline:

Yeah, me too though it's rather mild and usually involves numbers.... My posts are usually ok, my checkbook is a mess.

Carrie

16. Duo187

Duo187 New Member

Albums:
    Im' Lysdexic!

But in all honesty... I'm one of those "super genius's" that everyone hates... my learning disability?

I AM LAZY!

17. someone2004uk

Albums:
    You make it sound like dylexics are using their disablity as an excuse to be lazy or very boastful, which i can assure you is not the case. It's one of the major things I tend to worry about. One of the main things that stoped me asking for help was the stigma of going "I'm dyslexic, I can't do my homework, can i have some help please?" or "I'm dyslexic, I can do anything" and then have someone call me lazy or boastful.

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. And if it is i apologise and ignore this reply. But if that's is in fact the way you feel, i hope this post helps you despell this common myth from your mind.

18. jonb

Gold Member

I'm intreged, what exactly is Dystymia?
    [post=282050]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    Dysthymia is a mood disorder, like manic depression, only without the mania. Not normally considered a learning disability, but it can be difficult to get dysthymic students to study, or do anything for that matter. (That's depression for you.)

Sweet Caroline -- There's a particular type of dyslexia specifically for math; it's called dyscalculia.

19. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Thanks for the feedback, jonb. Dystymia is a mild form of depression where your total affect is a littel "down"--like depression it can manifest as sadness, inability to focus/complete tasks, anger, or being easily irritated. Dystymia doesn't usually keep someone from normal functioning but it can be a pain in the ass.

20. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Dysthymia is a mood disorder, like manic depression, only without the mania. Not normally considered a learning disability, but it can be difficult to get dysthymic students to study, or do anything for that matter. (That's depression for you.)

Sweet Caroline -- There's a particular type of dyslexia specifically for math; it's called dyscalculia.
    [post=282236]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Then there's the dyslexic couple whose sex life was suffering because they kept doing the 96.

Draft saved Draft deleted