lean and muscular

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by D_Abraham_Blinkin, Nov 19, 2008.

1. D_Abraham_Blinkin

D_Abraham_Blinkin Account Disabled

Hi all,

not that I am overweight or anything, however, I would really like to shed a few pounds and tone up a bit. After seeing a lot of the pics of you guys here on LPSG, I was wondering if anybody would share some advice or what you do to stay in shape.

2. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hi viper -
    Good for you that you are seeking advice to acheive something.
    for my abs, i hang upside down and do straight up crunches as well as elbows to opposite knees. Chest press, curls, butterflies,, shoulder press for arms and shoulders, squats and leg press for legs and ass.
    but i have seen guys on here with really well defined legs as well as a guy at my gym and they all do spinning, so i need to start doing that.
    Good luck!

3. piercedjobbie

piercedjobbie New Member

Albums:
    do the standard exercises without any type of machine - sit ups, push-ups. If you have any type of machine use it as directions state. Watch your diet - stay away from sugar - especially those carbonated sodas called Pepsi or Coke. Drop fat and fried foods from your diet, drink plenty of water, and walk or jog. If you do these things and perhaps a few others you could tone up nicely. I've got an ab machine and stair stepper that I use daily and they have helped me. Don't expect overnight changes - you do have to work at it. Good luck.

4. D_William Howard Shaft

D_William Howard Shaft Account Disabled

Diet is key to weight loss. I went through weight watchers... and loss about 40 lbs. I am trying to tone the bod now. Still do lots of cardio to keep burning off the fat, but a weight routine is definitely something to get into. Looks like Goodwood has some great pointers for you.

5. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    yes. Jack is right. diet is very important. Pierced is correct about no sugar. i do not eat sugar or things that have sugar in it. I prefer vegetables but also lean meats. love salads. my diet consists of low fat, low calorie and sometimes high protein - fish, red meat, almonds, nuts.
    Cardio - i hate it. but people who do it are people i want to look like. So yeah - cardio.

6. crv

crv
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Cardio certainly does wonders for keeping the weight off and establishing a base athletic level. I try to do cardio four times a week, including at least two 6 miles runs, with the other times being an elliptical or mountain biking. I admit that I eat a lot of sweets, however.

7. douchenbaggin

douchenbaggin New Member

Mainly diet is the biggest factor in toning up.

I suggest focusing on that most importantly, then work on toning exercises like they said.
    Heres what I do: 3 sets of crunches with 20-25 reps like 3-5 times a week. When doing crunches its best not to cheap yourself by using the momentum to swing yourself up. Just lift enough to keep the small of your back on the ground still.

I also bench press a little, squats, and run 1-2 miles like 3 times a week.

8. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

low fat diet and exercise

typically, my six-pack slowly disappears between Halloween and New Year's

this year, everybody seems to be partying less (or they're just not inviting me), so it's not disappearing as quickly as it usually does (it's still slowly disappearing, but not as quickly), so I would say, diet is the larger part of it, since my activity level is still the same

9. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well if your gallery pics are recent, I wouldn't say there's any need to diet at all, just get some exercise to tone yourself up.

I find it easier to stick to an exercise routine if I do it at a gym. It's more pleasurable and more of a social activity that way, plus you can get professional advice there too. I find it easier to respond to "I must get to the gym" than "I must do my sit-ups and press-ups".

If you concentrate on growing and toning muscle tissue, you'll be creating more calorie-burning tissue and increasing your basal (resting) metabolic rate.

The trouble with dieting is that the body tends to react as if there is a famine and will hoard fat and metabolise any muscle tissue that is not being fully utilised, thereby reducing your basal metabolic rate and making you more even more prone to putting on weight! Plus dieting is a "negative" or self-denying approach, whereas exercise is a "positive" or self-realising activity, and much easier to stick to.

But, of course, you should be eating sensibly and healthily. Try to avoid refined sugars and carbs. Whole wheat products and brown rice are better for you than the white varieties. My advice would be to eat a variety of meats, fish, dairy, vegetables, grains, seeds and fruit and enjoy your food rather than obsess over it.

#9 MarkLondon, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  10. parchissi

Gold Member

I'm with you - I need help too! But at my age I think I will just have to be content with a little excess and try and stay happy.

11. LargeUnit

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Guys....... I am 34 - and yes I am blessed with genetics - however I work in the gym. You must do some core strength exercises - like bench squats and deadlift and then do your surrounding exercises you like based around those. I dont do alot of ab stuff - though I should. I am able to keep my tummy in check just by working out and keeping a decent diet. If you would like some more pics..........let me know - I will show it off -but only on LPSG.

12. D_Chocho_Lippz

D_Chocho_Lippz Account Disabled

This is what I know of working out and getting rid of what you don't want.

Diet - You have to have good eating habits. This means eating good. It doesn't mean you have to start eating carrots, bread and drinking water. To start out - eat out less, eat less deep fried stuff, eat less fatty foods. If you try to go from whatever your habits are now to a completely healthy your body (and mind) are going to reject it. This also means eating more meals a day too. By doing this it helps your body stay in a state where it burns continuously.

Cardio - Get some cardio going. This can be a walk around the block after dinner or all the way up to a crazy spin class or a tae-bo class. Just get that heart rate up from where it is used to it. Heck, instead of taking the elevator at work, take the stairs. Anything.

Weights - Some people think that lifting weights is not part of loosing weight. When in reality, it is. It stimulates the body in a different way than cardio does. Cardio burns body fat. When you work out, you are making your muscles break down and when they break down they have to repair and when they repair they use energy. So, even after you work out, you are still burning fat.

A few other suggestions, almost as important as the things above.
    Set small goals that you can meet, but still have to work to achieve them. It will help you motivate you to make harder goals down the road.

Take pictures every month to track progress. You may not recognize change because you live with your body every day. But if you have pictures, it will remind you that you are making progress.

Find someone to take the journey with you. Girlfriend, wife, friend, fitness trainer. They will help keep you accountable too.

Don't weigh in every day. If you do, you may run the risk of scale-fixation. The goal of weight loss should be you feeling better about your body, not digit counting. Our bodies naturally fluctuate weight to some degree. If you feel better then you will want to continue. Also, scales can lie. You can be improving in your weight-loss journey and be gaining weight! This is especially true if you are lifting weights. Track your weight and body fat. If a member of a gym, they normally will do this for free. If not, you can possibly pick up a cheap body fat monitor.

If you have any questions, I know I'd be happy to help. Shoot me a message anytime.

13. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    All the posters above gave great tips. It's a lifestyle change that involves how you eat and how you exercise. I've spent a few years being a couch potato after a knee injury, and it didn't work for me. It finally occurred to me that if I can't run anymore that I need to find another activity for cardio. I bought a new bicycle 3 years ago and never looked back.

14. open501s

open501s Member

everyone is throwing out the same advice that I would through out.

A magazine subscription to something "Men's Health" will give you new gym-less excretes every month so you won't get bored with your routine.

When you buy food for the home read labels take the lower sugar option or sugarless options. The fewer ingredients the better; and if your grandmother wouldn't know what something on the label is; don't eat it.

It is a life style; make sure you make choices that you can live with.

If you can add a gym to your life make sure it is on your way to work or less than ten minutes from your home. You will be more likely to use it.

Draft saved Draft deleted