"Lean Like a Homo" (song)

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff: Jokes, Quizzes, Games & Pics' started by MisterMark, Jan 23, 2009.

?

What did you think of "Lean Like a Homo"?

1. It was hilarious

10.5%
  2. Pretty funny

10.5%
  3. A little funny

21.1%
  4. Not funny

57.9%
  1. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    #1 MisterMark, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. MickeyLee

Gold Member

struggling ass little straight boys flipping out tired homophobia in the name of intorwebz youtube phame. not even done well.

i give you song volley done well. Mr Margaret Cho - My Puss
    YouTube - My Puss

3. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, it was done by the producer of a morning radio show in L.A. and played on the air. All was good until, apparently, the FCC heard it and told them to remove it from their website. :banned:

I didn't have much of an opinion until I heard, "ASS CHEEKS UP, SPREAD THEM WIDE", and then I slowly started to grin and thought, "OH HELL YEAH!" :headbang:

:tongue:

#3 MisterMark, Jan 23, 2009
  4. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, I didnt care much for that one.
    Thanks for informing me, but I didnt find it entertaining.

I think it's making a stereotypical statement in a manner that was offensive.
    Especially since it didn't come from a gay author.

I'm all about gay-themed humor, but it's a different topic when I feel I'm at the expense of a joke.

5. MickeyLee

Gold Member

*grumble blush* okay. so the hatred of straight boys on youtube was uncalled for.

*go-go-google gal* okay, a little less head in my ass and little more background in the brain. KROQ Kevin and Bean morning show isn't exactly a cuddle puddle of queer friendly good will.

the why someone is laughing is almost as important as what they're laughing at. when queers mock queers it from a place of commentary and camaraderie. it's busting out laughing at our own absurdity and peculiarities. this song wasn't meant to make gay men laugh. this was meant to mock gay men and their *stereotypical* lifestyle.

the typical KROQ listener wasn't laughing because he saw a bit of exaggerated truth in the cliches. he/she is laughing at the silly faggot.

the song shouldn't have been banned. censorship is vile on all levels. i'll just say i don't think it's funny. i believe the makers intended to be offensive and spiteful. they counted on the backlash for publicity. the whole thing is connected with lots of ugly in my head.

ML

i could just be mired with a wicked case of hyper-sensitive bitch. ignoring all of the above might be the best idea.

6. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nah, I hear ya.

I used to be bothered by stuff like this, but now I can laugh at it. I think it's partially because I've reached a point in my life where I'm very comfortable with who I am, and I don't need anyone to approve of my sexuality or what I find humorous. I'm able to separate myself from the silly gay stereotypes. If the stereotypes don't represent me, why should I get upset?

I've also learned that most straight people aren't homophobic just because they laugh at a gay joke. I've even found that straight people love it when they know they don't have to tiptoe around me and watch what they say. I want people to be comfortable around me. If someone's being seriously offensive, then I'll speak up, but if they're joking around, then nah - life's too short for me to feel offended by that.

7. treefarmer

treefarmer New Member

Outrageous ... gays ought to stop acting like that so there's no reason for such songs.

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Not funny. I didn't get offended by the gay references. I got offended by how corny and amateur it was.

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

which is why I gave it two stars out of a possible four

10. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's one thing to accept the humor and to be ok with jokes being made, but it means something completely separate coming from a straight voice. I'm all about making gay jokes, I make them all the time at work and wherever, but these guys seem like they're really trying to attack. I wanted to appreciate the humor in it, I was hoping it would be funny... however I can't help but question their intentions. I don't know about anyone else but I've experienced what it feels like to be victimized by that stereotype. It's simply not fair for anyone.

Mark, I respect your willingness to drop the severity of the topic, but consider any boy who is still struggling with his experiences being gay and coming out. This might not be the most uplifting message for his self-esteem.

#10 jjsjr, Jan 23, 2009
  11. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Just plain idiotic. Childish.

12. beretta8

Gold Member

Albums:
    It sucked

13. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    I understand, and I would agree with that sentiment if I really felt like it was a mean-spirited attack. But when we're dealing with humor, it's different to me.

If this were a workplace or a classroom, then no, this would not be appropriate humor, but on a site like the LPSG where there's often an edginess to the discussions, I think it's acceptable. Some will find it funny; some won't; that's the nature of humor.

The guys who run the radio show (Kevin and Bean) had this response to a gay guy who complained about it when it was originally aired:
    From Kevin:

Wow. If that song doesn't represent you, then HOW CAN YOU BE OFFENDED????
    It's not about you.

Here are two points:
    1) Most of our gay listeners find that song really funny. Most of them laugh at it, and move on. Only a select few are determined to be offended no matter what. Please don't be that guy.
    and

2) I'm sure you can write certain "leaders" of groups out there that spend their lives coordinating their fake, choreographed shows of anger. And I'm sorry, but I feel like there are still people out there who have to deal with real offenses. And those people should be upset at people like you and those fake choreograped "leaders"...because people like you and them waste everybody else's time crying wolf so that when something real comes along, nobody listens.

You should be ashamed of yourself for taking attention away from the real problems. Grow up. If you don't like our show, nobody is putting a gun to your head, just change the station to another station that takes your fake outrage seriously and deals with...oh nevermind...we've tried to make people like you happy before and it's absolutely not possible. Maybe just listen to a cd of Barry Manilow. See...that's another joke. Now you can get all spun out and spend a few more days writing people. Or whatever makes you happy.

From Bean:

glad you wrote. thanks so much for your opinion. I understand your unhappiness with the parody song you heard on our show this week.

having said that, your email warrants a response beyond just that. one faulty assumption in your note is that anyone at kroq "thought it was a good idea... to attack gay men for a laugh." in the song I heard, no one attacked anyone, gay or not. and you are the only one among us who thought any of the lyrics promoted "diseases" or "kicking homo ass."

you may quibble with the persona of the narrator in the song being too flamboyant for your taste but I believe most our audience is not like you and will not make the faulty leap of logic that if one gay guy is made to sound like that then they all must be like that.

i think most of us also have some real world experiences and don't decide what we believe about a group based on what morning radio talk shows put on the air as comedy. even on our show, we also try to balance the laughs with a message of tolerance when we discuss real life stories in the news that may involve gays.
    thanks again, and best wishes,

bean

Influential L.A. rock station spins "Lean Like a Homo"  | News | Advocate.com

#13 MisterMark, Jan 23, 2009
  14. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    treefarmer, that seems like a bizarre response. Are you joking or do you really think that most gays "act like that"? If you do, then I'd have to believe that you don't know many gay guys.

15. beretta8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think a lot of heterosexual people do think homosexual people behave like what was portrayed in the video.....it just seems to reinforce stereotypes.... its an obnoxious video....I should've skipped it...

16. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    I look at it this way: Almost any discussion about gays works in our favor in the long run. An example: A lot of people who voted for Prop. 8 in California had no idea that the law would be so hurtful to so many gay people. It seems hard to believe, but it's true. Now they know better.

If it takes humor to generate questions and discussions about gays or any other controversial subjects, I'm all for it. Anything that gets people thinking about or questioning their stereotypes is good, in my opinion.

17. beretta8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I see where you're coming from Mister....The only way anything will change is if people are out there (pun intended) confronting these issues.....this vid just seems way too cheap...ok Im over it now...; )

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

It didn't necessarily offend me. I just thought "A hah, the spawn of Rush Limbaugh," and filed it away with that sort of ditritis.

19. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, it is cheap. I think the situation is that the song was put together by a radio producer, but the video was slapped together by somebody on YouTube who didn't have a connection with the producer of the song.

And thank you for your thoughts. I'm not saying that I'm absolutely right about this; it's just my observation over the years is that when people talk about something - even if they're laughing about it - it's a start. It's better than sweeping an issue under the rug, and it's certainly better than violence.

20. MisterMark

Gold Member

Albums:
    Rush Limbaugh could only dream of being that creative or funny. You're giving Limbaugh too much credit. :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted