Leave Jesus Alone!

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hatched69 said:
On another note, it is interesting how most Christians are so passive when their faith is publicly attacked, but you say something about another religion/faith and you end up at war.....
Have Christians lost their passion, or are other religions TOO passionate?

I was raised in a fundy environment when I was very young and I can say with utmost certainty that fundamentalists are anything but passive. There's a difference between fundamentalists who view the Bible as a book with lists of rules to follow and those who actually pay attention to what Christ said (feed my sheep, love your brother as yourself, etc.). My experience taught me that fundamentalists have a passion for supposedly having all the answers for others edification, proving others wrong with their rule book, and ignoring those who suggest they keep an open mind. They may lose their target audience but not their zeal for self-righteousness. It's an all too-powerful and intoxicating drug. A drug that other religions also abuse.

BarebackJack

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
so... then I guess you won't appreciate the attached photo...?

Here's a few good tips to keep in mind:

Each religion is a philosophy. No one religion is honestly any more "right" than another if you ask its believers. Your religion is "right" only in that it is probably right for you.

You are an adult with the power to believe whichever philosophy you choose. So is your neighbor. Keep your beliefs personal and private unless you want to open an ugly can of worms.

Jesus needs no defending, just as Mahatma Ghandi needs no defending.

Jesus said the Kingdom of God lies within you. There's no need to get your neighbor involved. Let him find his own Kingdom of God and you just work on finding yours.

If Jesus forgives you your sins, trust he forgives the sins of others, including people with other philosophies. If God hears ALL prayers, then he hears the prayers of Jews and Buddhists et al. alike.

Lighten the fuck up! Live in your belief and let others do the same.

Now... the picture:

Attachments

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BarebackJack said:
Each religion is a philosophy. No one religion is honestly any more "right" than another if you ask its believers. Your religion is "right" only in that it is probably right for you.

Jesus said the Kingdom of God lies within you. There's no need to get your neighbor involved. Let him find his own Kingdom of God and you just work on finding yours.

Lighten the fuck up! Live in your belief and let others do the same.

What wise words - if only people could live by that philosophy.................

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey-Zeus. Such a cool name.

"You are an adult with the power to believe whichever philosophy you choose. So is your neighbor. Keep your beliefs personal and private unless you want to open an ugly can of worms."

Exactly. As long as you are true to your own belief what does it matter what anyone else thinks? They're going to hell anyway! :p

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Gillette said:
Not sure I can agree with that.

From my perspective here in the Midwest, there's a lot of "somebody ought to do something about that" kind of folks. And it's usually not them that do anything about it. I can't speak about where you or Stronzo live, but I can tell you complacency is rampant around my neighborhood, and that's the basis for my statement.

hatched69 said:
Quote:
On another note, it is interesting how most Christians are so passive when their faith is publicly attacked, but you say something about another religion/faith and you end up at war.....
Have Christians lost their passion, or are other religions TOO passionate?
[quote/]
stronzo said:
I find the reverse of this statement to be the case. I think that Bible Belt group of "born agains" is anything but but passive these days. We must live in vastly different areas of the land you and I.

Yes, we do live in very different areas. By my statement, was using, for example, an attack of faith on a Christian or Jew, and an attack on a Muslim, for instance (bear in mind these are EXAMPLES) The Jew and/or Christian are more likely to exchange a few words, perhaps minor physical violence, but if you attack a Muslim..?? (think 9/11)
I personally don't give a rat's butt what a person believes in, but when you begin to attack other people negatively for your faith's sake, that's when you begin to lose credibility and respect.
just my opinion....

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Gillette said:
9/11 had Sweet Fuck All to do with religion.

True. But if you asked Osama, I'd bet $1M his response would quickly turn to a religious cause in the conversation.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That was a smug response, my apologies.

Here's the thing, no matter what person uses what religion to justify whatever action you cannot point at the religion to blame the action.

Muslims the world over didn't vote to enact 9/11.
Christians the world over didn't vote to enact the holocaust.
Jews the world over didn't vote to enact Israeli policies.

It's never works that way. Generalization of this nature is a fallacy.

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Gillette said:
That was a smug response, my apologies.

Here's the thing, no matter what person uses what religion to justify whatever action you cannot point at the religion to blame the action.

Muslims the world over didn't vote to enact 9/11.
Christians the world over didn't vote to enact the holocaust.
Jews the world over didn't vote to enact Israeli policies.

It's never works that way. Generalization of this nature is a fallacy.

Please, let me take a moment to remind you, I simply used that as an EXAMPLE. I do not hold every single Muslim on the planet responsible for 9/11. I wouldn't give a damn if it were Scientologists. My point was simply that religion seems to be the basis for a lot of hositility and violence, when in fact it should be the basis for peace. That's all I am trying to convey.
Peace..??

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hatched69 said:

Not sure how this supports your position. It says that it was motivated by objections to US foreign policy. That isn't a religious cause. Nor is it new behavior, Osama himself was trained by Americans to do this, they just weren't expecting they'd ever be the target.

Suggestion. We should continue this in PMs rather than boring the rest of the site. I would like to continue the dialogue.

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
HUNGHUGE11X7 said:
I personally have no problem with the concept of JESUS and the whole spiritual archetype of the paragon of the human species he represents whether he actually ever lived on Earth or not, which is increasingly more debatable.
I, however have serious reservations about his fan club and the level of extremity they have taken their overzealous worship and mostly in false ways ironically enough.
The fanaticism we chastise our neighbors in the Middle East for having is just as prevalent in our culture today only in a different religion and the pious leaders who share this fanatical belief are what is RUINING our nation today.

I have no problem with ANYONES choice of religion, even Satanism except when it becomes fanatical and directly affects myself and those that I love.

:banana:
HORSE
I agree with you totally. You couldn't have said it better. These self-righteous, HATEFUL, so-called christians are the world's worst.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Give us this day our daily faith, and deliver us from belief.

Forgive me Mr. President but I think there is a flaw in your logic. You can not seperate Jesus from the preachers/evangelists simply because he never wrote anything himself. You are therefore always relying on someone else's gospel or interpretation and censorship.

If you can feel the suchness of "Christ" you are closer to being a buddhist than a christian, or rather an enlightened human.

I always wondered why they edited these out?

http://www.gnosis.org/library.html

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gillette said:
Lordpendragon, I love your ability to supply us with resources, but I have to ask.

How much more reading do I have left before I get my LPSG degree.
Is this place accredited?

IMHO you already do enough thinking to qualify for the degree. The reading just oils the engine.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
quote=Lordpendragon
If you can feel the suchness of "Christ" you are closer to being a buddhist than a christian, or rather an enlightened human.

The very conclusion I came to some years ago.

I thought this appropriate for the thread:

A young monastic came upon an elder one day sitting among a group of praying, working, meditating people.

"I have the capacity to walk on water", the young disciple said. "So, let's you and I go onto that small lake over there and sit down and carry on a spiritual discussion."

But the Teacher answered, "If what you are trying to do is get away from all these people, why do you not come with me and fly in the air and drift along in the quiet, open sky and talk there."

And the young seeker replied, "I can't do that because the power you mentioned is not one that I possess."

The Teacher explained, "Just so. Your power of remaining still on top of the water is one that is possessed by fish. And my capacity of floating through air can be done by any fly. These abilities have nothing to do with real truth and, in fact, may simply become the basis of arrongance and competition, not spirituality. If we're going to talk about spiritual things, we should really be talking here."