No Response
YY50BG.gif

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hatched69 said:
On another note, it is interesting how most Christians are so passive when their faith is publicly attacked, but you say something about another religion/faith and you end up at war.....
Have Christians lost their passion, or are other religions TOO passionate?

I used to spend time on another board where I spent almost all of my time in the off topic area. I spent many hours discussing religion and philosophy with the other members. I cannot count the hours spent looking at their links and finding, and posting arguments against them or at least links that presented a reasonable rebuttal. I think it has been 3 years or so since I was at that board. I got sick of wasting such a large chunk of time writing and reading posts that, for the most part, restated the exact same things. I got sick of arguing in circles. And that was a more rounded board in terms of both the “religious” and “atheists.” Most of the people on that board researched why they believed or did not believe rather than giving a response such as “It feels right/ doesn't feel right to me.” How can you argue anything on those grounds?

When I first started here I posted a little more on religious topics, but again, I almost cannot be bothered. If you want to hate religion, or be for my religion, go ahead.

I do feel the need to respond to two other points here though.

Gillette said:
That was a smug response, my apologies.

Here's the thing, no matter what person uses what religion to justify whatever action you cannot point at the religion to blame the action.

Muslims the world over didn't vote to enact 9/11.
Christians the world over didn't vote to enact the holocaust.

At least I am not going to be held responsible for the actions of somebody who grew to hate the church and Christians.
BarebackJack said:
Here's a few good tips to keep in mind:

Each religion is a philosophy. No one religion is honestly any more "right" than another if you ask its believers. Your religion is "right" only in that it is probably right for you.

You are an adult with the power to believe whichever philosophy you choose. So is your neighbor. Keep your beliefs personal and private unless you want to open an ugly can of worms.
Quick! all Christians back in the closet. Don't dare to publicly proclaim yourself to have religion, or it should be open season on you, and you have only yourself to blame.

What you are suggesting is that I do not have the right to acknowledge a large part of who I am without finding that people hate me for it? Does this sound familiar to anybody?

puppychow

Just Browsing
Media
pratice any religion you want - it's ur right to do so.

but also keep in the back of you mind that:

religion arguements cause most of the wars on earth

and the most likely probability is that no one is right. there is no god, no muhammad, no buddah etc.

and to the original poster, based on the teachings of christianity, i don't think your participating in a site such as this would be looked well upon, no?

oh wait - right i forgot. it's a support group :rolleyes:

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
dolf250 said:
Quick! all Christians back in the closet. Don't dare to publicly proclaim yourself to have religion, or it should be open season on you, and you have only yourself to blame.

What you are suggesting is that I do not have the right to acknowledge a large part of who I am without finding that people hate me for it? Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Not to tar all the christians with the same brush, but I have found that many christians seem to confuse publicly proclaiming their christianity (which is fine) with attempting to convert, picket, lecture or condemn others (non christians). Which is definitely not fine.

I am convinced that the main reason for the opposition religious fundamentalists (of ALL religions) show towards homosexuals is that the concept of converting others is so ingrained in their own beliefs that they can't comprehend that homosexuals aren't trying to convert others, too.

curriedeggs

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Who is this Jesus Guy? Any Pics?…

I don’t have anything against individual Christians, I’m sure many of them are very nice people, I just think that the balance of evidence has to suggest that Christians are deluded, hoping to belong to an elite group who have purchased salvation while the unenlightened majority (if we’re talking about world population) are left to damnation. It’s always, ultimately, been about fear of immortality.

It always puzzles me that even the most intellectually gifted of Christians are failing to understand that the whole premise falls on it’s ass when you consider that Christianity as we know it today was all essentially kicked off by a C3rd roman emperor struggling to keep a grip on world domination. Everything that has happened since has been either about stubbornly resisting change and denying progress for fear of losing political power – like the Catholics – or trying to continually re-invent the rules in order to keep up with social mores (gay politics, feminism, a penchant for trawling websites to catch glimpses of cock)- like the Anglican Church.

When Christianity was invented, most people believed the earth was flat and located at the centre of God’s created universe. Why hold on to it? For centuries, the one true means of salvation was denied to many thousands of peoples who had no access to it (until the missionaries turned up and gave them all syphilis) - not very fair! Even now there are so many factions under the umbrella of Christianity, all claiming to know which is the best way forward, that it seems pointless choosing.

Christ, from all I can gather, was probably a compassionate, intelligent and profoundly charismatic man. But that’s where it ends for me. Believe what you want, and I don’t believe in insults for their own sake, but if your faith is rocked by a couple of sniggers from the back row, then might I suggest that you are harbouring some doubts yourselves.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dolf250 said:
At least I am not going to be held responsible for the actions of somebody who grew to hate the church and Christians.quote]

You may have missed my point.

NOBODY is responsible for what ANYBODY ELSE does whether they are of the same religion or of a different religion.

Whats more, your assumption that people of other creeds were raised to hate Christians just propogates the "Us and Them" mentality that needs to end right now.

Enough with the finger pointing!

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
HickBoy said:
...Don't get confused and go after the Saviour. He didn't send these idiots to commit their crimes. Go after them. Or would you rather shoot the Message and let the messenger go free?... I see all sorts of awful cartoons mocking Him every day and I'm appalled.
Hmmm, I can think of cartoons/editorials mocking overzealous supporters of several religions (and more power to the cartoonists, I say). Where are you seeing "all sorts of awful cartoons" attacking Jesus Christ - as opposed to his followers? :confused:

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
SurferGirlCA said:
Hmmm, I can think of cartoons/editorials mocking overzealous supporters of several religions (and more power to the cartoonists, I say). Where are you seeing "all sorts of awful cartoons" attacking Jesus Christ - as opposed to his followers? :confused:
Still waiting, HickBoy. :smile:
It's hard to respond to your concern about these attacks and not have examples of what you're talking about.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rob_just_rob said:
I am convinced that the main reason for the opposition religious fundamentalists (of ALL religions) show towards homosexuals is that the concept of converting others is so ingrained in their own beliefs that they can't comprehend that homosexuals aren't trying to convert others, too.

You know Rob I've never once considered that premise but in a certain way I think it borders on the profound.

That's the piece I worry about with most all religions (and in particular the Christians among us); the audacity to believe that everyone does (or must for the matter) think precisely as they do.

It's an insult to humankind.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Stronzo said:
........... and, I may add, the author's precise intent.

Perhaps we should 'ban pud' this time 'round?:rolleyes:

Did you write the introductory post of this thread? If you didn't, then you need to not be describing the author's intent.

You have no idea what I had on my mind when I started this thing. None whatsoever, and you are getting more and more clueless by the minute.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lordpendragon said:
Give us this day our daily faith, and deliver us from belief.

Forgive me Mr. President but I think there is a flaw in your logic. You can not seperate Jesus from the preachers/evangelists simply because he never wrote anything himself. You are therefore always relying on someone else's gospel or interpretation and censorship.

If you can feel the suchness of "Christ" you are closer to being a buddhist than a christian, or rather an enlightened human.

I always wondered why they edited these out?

http://www.gnosis.org/library.html

If you have a minute.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Kotchanski said:
Anyone else think Stonzo might have hit a nerve?

Seriously though, if this thread is serious, then its not only moronic but hypocritical too. To ask that people stop using religious beliefs as a reason for things when your using yours as reason to request they don't is well, a little bizaar to say the least. You don't agree with what they are doing, neither do I, but I'd never dare to tell anyone that they aren't following a faith the way they should be.

If a person's only tool is a hammer, they see every problem as a nail.

Not proselytizing. Look for other meaning.

Or you could just lose interest and walk away. That works for most people.