Leave Jesus Alone!

curriedeggs

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Lordpendragon said:
How hot do you like your curried eggs? I like them quite mild, but with a hint of danger.

Lol. It's not actually my favourite food or anything. It was a nickname given to me because of my surname. But yes, Mild and dangerous is good.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
HickBoy said:
Ancient British music is such
Put the BBC well in dutch
Just because that it was too much
Saxon & violins for TV!

Gimme that old-time religion,
It's good enough for me.

So, so , so , so very pro found. Thank you Mr. President. Now I understand and will obey and pay my tax.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
la_gaya_scienza said:
Everyday people attack other people's political beliefs if they differ from their own and we rightly don't bat an eyelid. But as soon as someone remotely criticises another person's religious beliefs then all hell breaks lose. Apparently many people do not see the inconsitencies in allowing people who believe in God/Allah/Jehova to say that non-believers are fools who are destined to suffer everlasting punishment but not allowing non-believers to express their reasons for believing theists to be just as foolish.

I think skeptics have lots of freedom to express themselves.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
uncut said:
I feel sorry for you That you have nothing This is all you have Nothing else When life leaves you thats it A true heathen cant see his own light He lives under a glass ceiling There is nothing above for him When is the last time you looked at the sky?

I feel sorry for you that you don't have punctuation.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
uncut said:
I feel sorry for you That you have nothing This is all you have Nothing else When life leaves you thats it A true heathen cant see his own light He lives under a glass ceiling There is nothing above for him When is the last time you looked at the sky?

And incidentally (this is my biggest beef with religious folk, so bear with me), why is it that when the religious are confronted with a criticism based on independent thought and reasoning, the response is frequently a barrage of incomprehensible and unsupported metaphors that sound like something Jim Morrison wrote while high? :confused:

PLEASE explain this to me. I'm dying to know.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
BarebackJack said:
If God hears ALL prayers, then he hears the prayers of Jews and Buddhists et al. alike.

Buddhists don't ordinarily pray; they don't believe in God.
The only exceptions would be those who have syncretistic beliefs that include influences from theistic faiths ... but that's a dilution of Buddhism.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
senor rubirosa said:
Buddhists don't ordinarily pray; they don't believe in God.
The only exceptions would be those who have syncretistic beliefs that include influences from theistic faiths ... but that's a dilution of Buddhism.

I see you're talking about me again. :biggrin1:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
puppychow said:
and the most likely probability is that no one is right. there is no god, no muhammad, no buddah etc.

Well, there may be no god, but there certainly was a Muhammad, and the existence of Shakyamuni Buddha is rarely strongly doubted, though some doubt that we have any detailed knowledge of his life, and question whether the sutras attributed to him were really his, or simply created in the vein of his teachings by followers in succeeding centuries.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
rob_just_rob said:
And incidentally (this is my biggest beef with religious folk, so bear with me), why is it that when the religious are confronted with a criticism based on independent thought and reasoning, the response is frequently a barrage of incomprehensible and unsupported metaphors that sound like something Jim Morrison wrote while high? :confused:

It's frequently quite entertaining to just needle them until it happens, usually some quality bullshit erupts from it.

Note to all morons- someone expressing an opinion contrary to your own does not limit your right to believe as you choose. You who would silence your opposition are the faithless and weak who will in the end be the undoing of your own religion. Peter's denial comes to mind. Jesus wasn't a whiney bitch- why are you?

Jesus also never made any suggestion that he, his words, or the words of God should be instituted into any government. YOU who do that are the targets of wrath from both secularians and xians alike, and YOU have no one to blame but yourselves for your false practise of Christianity.

I only have to respect your rights to your beliefs, whatever they be. I do not have to respect your beliefs, nor you mine. Disagreeing with your belief doesn't limit your ability to continue believing, the stupidity of this argument is profound.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
SilverSoldier said:
All the prophets and great philosophers of religion taught PEACE first, taught tolerance, a higher way of living, BEFORE they taught how to deal threats to life, etc.

Do you find this true of Muhammad, as well?
I mean if jihad is seen as a duty of a Muslim, indeed, a gateway to Paradise, it seems to have a lot of priority.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
rob_just_rob said:

Independent thought and reasoning don't mesh well with groupthink which is what most religions advocate. Groupthink often benefits from insecure individuals who want purpose in life but need a support system to feel accepted and worthwhile. These individuals then feel empowered by the groupthink philosophy/religion/whatever and will repeat or say anything they're told. They've been given something they didn't have before-purpose-and repay their mentors by espousing their beliefs to anyone who will listen. And, as you've noted, it isn't always an intelligent discourse but that's because many do not feel intelligence is necessary. As a matter of fact, many rather uninformed and not-so-intelligent folk hide behind religion to feel safe.

Disclaimer: I'm not speaking of individuals who obviously make their own intelligent decisions about their faith, nor am I knocking religion in general.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
madame_zora said:
Note to all morons, the stupidity of this argument is profound.

Are you having a particularly bad day? - did the store run out? What? What does your aggressiveness prove to yourself or others? you're a better person? a smarter person? a wounded person? A person with a more valid opinion? Please.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
mercurialbliss said:
I'll steal your terminology and call myself a Diluted Buddhist.
Or would that be Deluded Buddhist?

Ah, you're probably diluted. And nothing wrong with that.
You could cherry-pick from Buddhism ... probably choosing the meditation, and believing that the 'self' is largely delusory (though a true Buddhist would say completely delusory).
And you might wind up with something that works and is just fine for you.
But not, in a strict sense, Buddhism.

papermate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
HickBoy said:
Is it right for you to use your freedom of speech to mount an assault on my freedom of religion?

No, it isn't.
But nobody is assaulting your freedom of religion by mocking your Jesus. They're assaulting your religion. That's not the same thing. And yes, it is right for me to use my freedom of speech to mount an assault on your Jesus.

Later addition: Madame Zora said it so much better than I did. "I only have to respect your rights to your beliefs, whatever they be. I do not have to respect your beliefs, nor you mine. Disagreeing with your belief doesn't limit your ability to continue believing, the stupidity of this argument is profound."

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
senor rubirosa said:
Ah, you're probably diluted. And nothing wrong with that.
You could cherry-pick from Buddhism ... probably choosing the meditation, and believing that the 'self' is largely delusory (though a true Buddhist would say completely delusory).
And you might wind up with something that works and is just fine for you.
But not, in a strict sense, Buddhism.

You're right on the money, or on the cherry, as it were.

"Christian Mystic" probably describes me best, but I find it confuses most people.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
mercurialbliss said:
"Christian Mystic" probably describes me best, but I find it confuses most people.
Yes, it confuses me, but only because it could be a lot of different things. I have never heard anyone refer to themselves as a Christian Mystic since maybe John of the Cross in the 1500s . What an interesting phrase, though. What does it mean to you?

Also, I read what you said about groupthink, and I think there are plenty of cases, such as in fundamentalism, where that is not even a strong enough word. Its more like brainwashing. There is a dilemma, though, between that and being a "church of one". Neither extreme seems to work. When left to our own devices, we tend to invent whatever god we want. So I find myself torn between resisting indoctrination and studying the great traditions intently. Is there any hope for me, Bliss?

It appears you have given a lot of thought to all of this. So I hope you will forgive me if I point out that Jesus did allude to having a special relationship with God plenty of times. I spent most of my life as what one might call a secular humanist with a notion that Jesus was my hero of secular humanism. So I used to think like you did about Jesus' view of his own divinity, until somene ruined my day by pointing out all the passages to the contrary.

Tell me more about Christian Mysticism.

By the way, this is a great thread. I like these religious freeforalls. I think the range of opinions expressed here is warranted. Some aspects of all religions should be adored, and some aspects should be reviled. In fact, here is the most ridiculous religious thing I have seen in a while. The comments that follow the ridiculous thing are even funnier. Here is a case where the reality is funnier than any parody. What's wrong with these people?