Leave no idiot behind

Discussion in 'Politics' started by slurper_la, Sep 18, 2009.

1. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    Give us your poor...

Candidates for citizenship in the US must, in part, pass a quiz - a written test - for which they must score a minimum of 60% correct to pass.

Statistics show that 96% of citizen candidates pass on their first attempt.

How well do our beloved children score on the same test?

Well, a study conducted in Oklahoma with 1000 high-school students has not proven so respectable.

Yes, 8 years after Bush ushered in his infamous "Leave no child behind" policy, only 3% of those students passed the test. That wasn't a typo - 3%!!!!!!!!

The question that received the highest ranking correct answer:
    Q. What is the name of the ocean on the east coast of the US?

Percentage of student answering correctly? 61%

390 of 1000 students in the study did not know the Atlantic Ocean borders the east coast.

It gets better (worse?):

Q. What is the term of office for a US Senator?

Q. How many justices serve on the Supreme Court?

Percentage of students correctly answering those two questions? 11%

Thank God for immigrants. They're obviously skewing our numbers upward.

2. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sheeesh! They're cramming :rolleyes:!

As for the ocean, it keeps rising so who is to define the "East Coast" any more?

Don't get me started on the US Senate. It seems that every other male senator has been involved in some kind of career-ending scandal, so please forgive them for having no experience of what a full term might be.

3. D_Tyrone_Tittickler

D_Tyrone_Tittickler New Member

Slurper la,

I watched this report on the news earlier this evening. Better than half of the students tested were unable to name the first president of the United States. We are raising a generation of idiots.

4. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

As high school students they would have been in school before no child left behind. What does it have to do with Busch?

Have you ever watched the old Jay Walking on the Leno show? These people were adults and couldn't answer the questions. So what is your point?

I am sure the Teachers Union has been a big help in the education of our kids. Or could it be the fact that the public school system in this country has been an epic fail for decades?

Cheers

5. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hardly blame this on Bush. This is absolutely a cultural incident. The combination of shitty student-teacher ratios in many public schools and an increasingly materialistic and short-sighted generation (my own and those immediately ahead of and behind mine) is a recipe for an upswing in an apathy toward education and varying degrees of anti-intellectualism. I don't think there will be much improvement of any sort until there is a moderate-to-major overhaul of the public school system coupled with a (rather unlikely) cultural shift in the younger generations. Emphasis needs to be put back on getting a good HS education, as opposed to pressuring thousands of kids to attend college when they really have little to no need for it. Additionally, more teachers are needed to make classrooms more effective teaching environments.

I have a cousin who teaches high school, and from what I've heard from her is that there is little motivation among a very large portion of the students to aspire to anything that necessitates higher education. She said she rarely (if ever) hears kids say they want to be a scientist or lawyer or something along those lines. Most want to be either A) a rapper/musician, or B) a pro athlete, and due to those goals, they put little focus on their studies. Until the younger generations readjust to slightly more realistic goals (hopefully involving learning and education), I don't foresee much improvement in the near future.

I went to private school, so thankfully, I was only exposed to relatively little of this sort of stuff first-hand, but I have heard tons of second-hand anecdotes about this sort of thing, and it really disheartens me about people around my age.

6. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
    :smlove2:

7. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

If there was ever an argument for a national education system, this would surely be one of the more convincing points in it. Education needs one national standard; no more grading on a "curve," by district, by county, by state.

8. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

Well said, my daughter aspires to be a Reality Television Star. No joke. She can tell me every character on Twilight. She knows what Paris Hilton and god knows what other stupid twit is doing at all hours of the day. She cannot point out on a man where her own state is though.

It is pathetic what education and desire to learn have become in this country. I tried to get the school to fail her last year, but they wouldn't. Said it wouldn't be good for her socially. I am still dumbfounded by it all.

Cheers

9. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Shit like this warrants this reaction from me.

10. D_Cleon W Ballbreath IV

If you want to experience that for yourself, google videos "Rick Mercer Talking to Americans." He sometimes talks to university students and professors. Funny too are when he talks to politicians.

11. houtx48

Gold Member

I went to private school, so thankfully, I was only exposed to relatively little of this sort of stuff first-hand, but I have heard tons of second-hand anecdotes about this sort of thing, and it really disheartens me about people around my age...............ROFLAO you are making a joke?

12. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

YES! I think my hair looks like that now!

You know today high school is not that hard. I just do not get it.

Cheers

13. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    Really??? That's outrageous. Everyone should know that the great Freddie Boom Boom Washington, was our first President. What's next? Not knowing about Pat Cooper's aw inspiring proclamation "Give my liberty or give me debt"? Or perhaps that Diana Ross made the first American flag? I for one am appalled!

14. mynameisnobody

mynameisnobody New Member

Who do you think made the first American flag?

Most people are very weak on American historical vexillography. Hard to believe, I know ...

15. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    It's vexillology.

16. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    How do you think it's a joke? Please explain. At private schools, students generally are motivated better from what I have heard both from friends who went to public schools and from teachers.

17. Randll86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Education is all about desire, its not the schools that are the problem its the students.

18. wallyj84

Gold Member

Exactly.

We have serious issues with our education system, but our biggest problem is the fact that as a culture we don't value education. Until we can fix that, our education system will remain very poor.

19. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Not always...
    People are not born with no desire to go to school or to learn. That also has to be taught... and guess where they're learning it? From the adults. Whether it be mom & dad, their older brothers & sisters, or even a non-motivated teacher REGARDLESS if they're going to a public or private school.

20. Randll86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Who were also once bad students.

Draft saved Draft deleted