Leave our Chocolate alone you Americans.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Kraft aren't going to spend billions of dollars on a brand and then fuck it up. Things are successful with Cadbury, they know what works - they aren't going to start making huge changes just because they are now owned by an American company. The chocolate will stay exactly the same.

Besides, I'm with team Belgium on this one!

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
The KRAFT legacy foods from the 50's are some tasteless gems that are found in every middle class American home even to this very day... they make a turd, that's about all that I can say about them...I'm sorry guys, America seems to put it's stink on everything that we get our hands on.

In my opinion... for the money, MARS has the best cheap chocolate. A bag of M&Ms don't cost much yet the chocolate contained within is of a surprisingly good quality. It's all about the cocoa butter baby.

Obviously Mars et al are proof that American can produce great chocolate. I love their Bounty Bars and Snickers.:yumyum:

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Has anyone done a taste test between cadburys in the UK and cadburys in the US?

They're completely different.
I had a bar of cadburys milk chocolate given to me while I was in the states and it was completely different to the proper stuff. Tasted more like Hersheys than cadburys.
*shudders*

Cadburys is as British as British gets and if Kraft start making it taste like american cadburys then god help us all. :/

Though t'would be good for my diet! :rolleyes:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Has anyone done a taste test between cadburys in the UK and cadburys in the US? They're completely different.
I had a bar of cadburys milk chocolate given to me while I was in the states and it was completely different to the proper stuff. Tasted more like Hersheys than cadburys.
*shudders*

Cadburys is as British as British gets and if Kraft start making it taste like american cadburys then god help us all. :/

That it tasted like Hersey's was no coincidence as ,circa 1988 onward ,Hershey manufactured and distributed Cadbury-branded chocolate (but not its other confectionery) in the United States.

Cadbury plc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Kraft does with it is anybody's guess.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As a public service I'm going to share another recipe.

Homemade Caramels
1 vanilla bean
1 pint heavy cream (2 cups)
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups (400 grams sugar)
2 ounces unsalted butter (1/2 stick cut into 4 slices)
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a saucepan add the cream, split the vanilla bean in half length wise and scrape the seeds into the cream and discard the pod.
Scald the cream mixture, but keep it near the stove in case you have to reheat it.
In a deep heavy bottom 4 quart saucepan over low heat blend the syrup and sugar stirring occasionally until it is fluid and the sugar is mostly dissolved stop stirring and raise the flame to medium high until a candy thermometer reaches 290 degrees.
Add the butter and salt and slowly pour the cream vanilla mixture in a steady stream (it is very important that the cream mixture is hot or it will not turn out)
Lower the heat to medium and let it boil until the thermometer reading reaches 248 degrees. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
I have silicone candy molds that I pour them into. If you don't line the bottoms of a nine inch square pan with parchment paper, Pour the carmel mixture and let it cool at least 5 hours. Cut into square with a sharp knife.

You can either temper chocolate and dip the caramels or make this... put 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate (finely chopped) in a bowl.
In a double boiler heat 1/2 cup heavy cream until just boiling, Pour over the chocolate, and whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth and shiny. Stir in two tablespoons sour cream and 1 teaspoon light corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Then I dip the set caramels in the chocolate mixture and let them set.
So if you don't like the candy that you buy you can make your own. It's much much better.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Orangettes, we want orangettes. :tongue:

Here you go... Happy Dear?:rolleyes:

Ingredients:

1 large navel orange
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
Preparation:

Using a peeler, cut 3-inch long, 3/4-inch wide strips of orange peel from the orange. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and simmer the orange peels for 10 minutes. Drain the peels, rinse them with cold water, and boil them in fresh water for an additional 10 minutes; repeat this process 1 more time.

Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan and stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has reduced in volume just a bit, about 5 minutes. Add the orange peels and continue simmering the mixture for 15 minutes. Transfer the candied orange peel to a wire drying rack and allow it to sit undisturbed for 45 minutes.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water, and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Dip the 2/3 of the length of each candied orange strip in the chocolate, leaving 1/3 of the peel exposed, and place it on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow the chocolate to set before serving.

This recipe makes approximately 10-12 orangettes.

Um, Belgian chocolate maybe...?

No, it's not Belgian chocolate, it's BRITISH Cadbury's chocolate. I have had Belgian chocolate before (which is incredibly good), but in my previous post I was talking about British Cadbury's chocolate. If I go into a supermarket in Canada, a large bar of Cadbury's milk chocolate will cost me about $3.00. If I buy the same size imported bar from a specialty shop (like a Scottish shop - there are many where I live) it will cost me about $12.00. It's 4x the price, but again well worth it if you appreciate quality chocolate. Cadbury's, being a global company, produces chocolate all around the world, not in just one location. Usually, many of the ingredients used will come from local sources. I have been told the difference in taste comes from the dairy products that are used in the production of the chocolate. If you have ever been to the U.K., you will know that the dairy products in the U.K. and Canada taste very different. When I last visited the U.K. I was pretty much ordered to bring back as much Cadbury's chocolate as I could for family. If it all tasted the same around the world, why would I get so many requests to bring it back and how would specialty stores here be able to charge $12.00 for an imported bar versus $3.00 for a domestic bar of Cadbury's? If it was all the same, no one in their right mind would pay 4x the going price for a chocolate bar. If you don't believe what I'm saying about the difference in taste, try a Cadbury's dairy milk here, and try an imported one (that specifically states that it's from the U.K.). I highly doubt that you wouldn't be able to taste the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

*shudders*

You are 100% correct! You can't even begin to compare the 2, even though they are both made by Cadbury's. Anyone who says they taste the same needs to have their taste buds examined! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

*shudders*

Though t'would be good for my diet! :rolleyes:

I have, on my many trips to Brooklyn, and Denver.

The US version of Cadbury, is absolutely fowl, with a very nasty gritty taste, yet Hershey (Who run the US licence for Cadbury) I quite like.

Many times, my friends have asked me to bring both Cadbury's and Thornton's chocolates over with me to the states when I visit.

The news that Kraft have now got their claws into one of the best British names located in Bornville, Birmingham, absolutely sickens me to the core, knowing what Kraft's track record is like.

If I was hoping for anyone to take Cabury on, it would have been Hershey's..... Least they are already in the chocolate business.

Looks like I will be switching to another brand full-time despite the cost..... Thorntons (Their HQ is quite close to me)..... http://www.thorntons.co.uk/ThorntonsSite/pages/home/default.asp

No, it's not Belgian chocolate, it's BRITISH Cadbury's chocolate. I have had Belgian chocolate before (which is incredibly good), but in my previous post I was talking about British Cadbury's chocolate. If I go into a supermarket in Canada, a large bar of Cadbury's milk chocolate will cost me about $3.00. If I buy the same size imported bar from a specialty shop (like a Scottish shop - there are many where I live) it will cost me about $12.00. It's 4x the price, but again well worth it if you appreciate quality chocolate. Cadbury's, being a global company, produces chocolate all around the world, not in just one location. Usually, many of the ingredients used will come from local sources. I have been told the difference in taste comes from the dairy products that are used in the production of the chocolate. If you have ever been to the U.K., you will know that the dairy products in the U.K. and Canada taste very different. When I last visited the U.K. I was pretty much ordered to bring back as much Cadbury's chocolate as I could for family. If it all tasted the same around the world, why would I get so many requests to bring it back and how would specialty stores here be able to charge $12.00 for an imported bar versus $3.00 for a domestic bar of Cadbury's? If it was all the same, no one in their right mind would pay 4x the going price for a chocolate bar. If you don't believe what I'm saying about the difference in taste, try a Cadbury's dairy milk here, and try an imported one (that specifically states that it's from the U.K.). I highly doubt that you wouldn't be able to taste the difference.

Aww, hehe. :biggrin1:

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

In a deep heavy bottom over low heat blend the syrup and sugar stirring occasionally until it is fluid and the sugar is mostly dissolved stop stirring and raise the flame to medium high until a candy thermometer reaches 290 degrees.
There's kinky and then there's kinky. Is that even humane?!:eek:

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Since you're all bitching so much about Kraftco.... hate to break it to you but they are owned by Philip Morris... stick cheese whiz in you pipe and smoke it.