Leave our Chocolate alone you Americans.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To be honest I don't think the discussion is about how good cadburys is in the 'world of chocolate'.

It is a middle of the road chocolate, an every day bar rather than a speciality 'Green & Blacks' or belgian choc, but it does have a distinctive taste that many people like and most in the US haven't experienced if they've only had american-made Cadburys

I for one, will gladly leave Cadbury chocolates alone. They really don't make anything of interest to me. Sorry ya'll, but milk does not belong in chocolate. YUCK!!!!

If you've only had it in America, you're right! It's disgusting! But it's not the cadburys we have here. That's actually rather nice.

And Joll!
Hotel Chocolat!
*swoon*

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Be sure to use the terms carefully... as I mentioned in an earlier post, Scharffen Berger was a chocolate maker, a different animal from a chocolatier (a confection maker who uses chocolate from a chocolate maker). Scharffen Berger was created to be specifically the former; who knows what they are now that their operations have been merged into Hershey and moved to Illinois.

I don't know what boutique chocolate makers remain in the UK, but even mass retailers of chocolate, whether makers themselves or chocolatiers, have to observe much higher standards by law than in the US.

Willie Harcourt-Cooze, whose unerring dream to produce his vision of the best chocolate from owning the farm, the roasting technology and the mills was made the subject of a documentary a couple of years ago. Willie Harcourt-Cooze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To be honest I don't think the discussion is about how good cadburys is in the 'world of chocolate'.

It is a middle of the road chocolate, an every day bar rather than a speciality 'Green & Blacks' or belgian choc, but it does have a distinctive taste that many people like and most in the US haven't experienced if they've only had american-made Cadburys

If you've only had it in America, you're right! It's disgusting! But it's not the cadburys we have here. That's actually rather nice.

And Joll!
Hotel Chocolat!
*swoon*

Spot on! :D

My sis keeps trying to make her bf buy her one of those £75 boxes (Hotel Chocolat), lmao.
We should have an LPSG meet at their exclusive hotel near a cocoa farm in St. Lucia! ;)

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
:eek: Rubi, if i may call you that. You must try it, you are a well educated man, you deserve the best.:smile:

You call me Rubi and I am twice enchanted, Tardis.
I deserve the best?
Well, I like to think so.
And through the good offices of a beautiful and beneficent Welsh lass, I am soon to get my lips around a Hershey bar.
I will keep you posted, Tardis.
You're a kind man ... you deserve the best treatment.:wink:

StrictlyAvg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

No, but being a middle of the road everyday choc, comfort food to a lot of expats really, it does seem a bit daft to pay 3 or 4 X over the odds I have to say.

Back OT there's a lot at stake for Kraft to screw up so one would assume their primary aim is not to go straight out and alienate the people who are giving their shareholders money! Not sure how big a business unit Cadbury-Schweppes is compared to Kraft as a whole though.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Unlike Europeanized dark chocolate, the natives in the Americas prefer it mixed with ground cinnamon and dried chile. Whisked up in a cup of boiling water and you've got a concoction that makes you bleed from the ears -- but in a good way. Only the gentrified pussies putting on European airs mix it with milk, sugar, and serve it at about the same consistency of hot fudge syrup. Still good, though.

Independent, artisan chocolate makers in the US have actually taken to following the South American natives in how they produce their chocolate. Instead of processed white sugar, they use agave, for example. It's become quite popular, and it sells at a premium. It's quite delicious.

Last edited:

No, but being a middle of the road everyday choc, comfort food to a lot of expats really, it does seem a bit daft to pay 3 or 4 X over the odds I have to say.

Back OT there's a lot at stake for Kraft to screw up so one would assume their primary aim is not to go straight out and alienate the people who are giving their shareholders money! Not sure how big a business unit Cadbury-Schweppes is compared to Kraft as a whole though.

Think it's only Cadbury now - Schweppes demerged in 2008 after nearly 40 yrs with Cadbury.

I hope Kraft don't pull the same trick Hershey did with Cadbury chocolate, ie: substitute a lot of the cocoa butter for sugar, to make it cheaper (and sweeter) - and remove the trademark chalkiness (which is what causes the white residue if it melts and reconstitutes in summer :tongue:).

The lower quality of Hershey-distributed US Cadbury makes me think maybe it's not such a bad thing they didn't end up being sold to them? Even tho I think they're better than Kraft.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Independent, artisan chocolate makers in the US have actually taken to following the South American natives in how they produce their chocolate. Instead of processed white sugar, they use agave, for example. It's become quite popular, and it sells at a premium. It's quite delicious.

You, Sir, are quite right. I was surprised to discover artesenal (SP?) chocolatiers in L.A. two years ago as I decompressed for a few days after a 14-hour non-stop flight. And I was WAY impressed that they used 70 to 80% craftily roasted real caocao beans.

I admit to having twin nieces who both grew up in Switzerland. One has since moved on to Tokyo. However, they always would send me and everyone else in the world Swiss chocolate as a gift. I could never stand the stuff. Same with the German-style chocolate. In fact, regular and milk chocolate has always made my throat burn because it's just too damn sweet. Cadbury causes the same reaction. But I have a soft spot in my heart for Cadbury. It was only when I discovered Toblerone's extra dark chocolate and then Hershey's Special Dark -- not mixed with anything such as nuts or coconut, rice-krispies -- what have you -- that I began to enjoy chocolate once again.

My paternal grandmother was born in Monterrey, Mexico (actually, somewhere between there and Zacatecas) and her rendition of hot chocolate was an incredibly strong beverage that none of my friends could stomach when we were children. But I loved it. She basically just dumped Hershey's Coco straight from the can and made a thick, hot paste with boiling water. She'd toss in a enough real vanilla extract to soften the bite, and you could still taste the alcohol from the vanilla extract. And that was chocolate when I was growing up. Sometimes she'd find unroasted beans or some totally unknown brand of Mexican chocolate that had to be crushed up in a mortar and pulverized. But Hershey's Coco makes a good approximation of the real stuff when there's nothing else. I still buy "baker's" chocolate and gnaw on it. I'm addicted to the dark bitter taste.

Hot chocolate shops offering a variety of beverages that make your ears bleed or just make you smile because of the addition of black raw sugar and cinnamon are once again making a comeback in the upscale parts of Mexico City . . . especially in La Condesa. And the old, cramped and very tiny hot chocolate cafes in the Barri Gotic are once again offering black hot chocolate with the stuff they've been selling for centuries. In Spain, if the spoon doesn't stand up straight in your hot chocolate, the chocolate (not the spoon) is considered inferior.

Off topic: For those of you interested in losing a few pounds, put a big dash of ground cinnamon in your morning coffee or on top of the foam of a cup of cappucino. Turns out that cinnamon is a very strong natural appetite suppressant and it works for hours. Nutmeg has a similar effect. But if you consume to much nutmeg you'll start to hallucinate and have visions. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Be sure to use the terms carefully... as I mentioned in an earlier post, Scharffen Berger was a chocolate maker, a different animal from a chocolatier (a confection maker who uses chocolate from a chocolate maker). Scharffen Berger was created to be specifically the former; who knows what they are now that their operations have been merged into Hershey and moved to Illinois.

Well, that shows my chocolate expertise... all I know is they made a very fine chocolate, and the experience was enhanced by the aroma which permeated the neighborhood. The family that started the company also make a very nice brut champaigne, or if we are following EU labeling laws, sparkling wine. The tours were cool too. Unfortunately their products are also a casualty of yet another dilutionary corporate take over.

Personally I was never a fan of Cadburys. The chalkiness turns me off.

There are many extraordinary chocolatiers (I think I have used the term correctly this time) in Belgium. Here are a few of my favs: Pierre Marcolini, Wittamer, Neuhaus, Galler and Leonidas. Somehow they taste better there, especially in Brugges.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Cadbury's? Too bland and cloying for me. Remember when the EU was going to make us call British chocolate Vegolate because of the lack of cocoa butter and substituted vegetable oils? Mind you, the one time I had a Hershey's bar I was very disappointed. Gritty.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I thinkthe big brands sabotage each others' product when producing in another country under contract, from what I have read in this thread so far.

Being lactose intolerant I need to avoid the milk chocs anyway, and it gets ever harder as the big name brands start putting lactose even into their dark bars. I used to be able to eat a Hersheys dark but no longer. And the dark Mars coating is no better. Whatever they call it, whatever the label reads, you have to read the ingredients like a hawk or just give up and eat toffee.

Pooh hah on big corporation foods. Patronize your local chocolatier.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
You, Sir, are quite right. I was surprised to discover artesenal (SP?) chocolatiers in L.A. two years ago as I decompressed for a few days after a 14-hour non-stop flight. And I was WAY impressed that they used 70 to 80% craftily roasted real caocao beans.

I admit to having twin nieces who both grew up in Switzerland. One has since moved on to Tokyo. However, they always would send me and everyone else in the world Swiss chocolate as a gift. I could never stand the stuff. Same with the German-style chocolate. In fact, regular and milk chocolate has always made my throat burn because it's just too damn sweet. Cadbury causes the same reaction. But I have a soft spot in my heart for Cadbury. It was only when I discovered Toblerone's extra dark chocolate and then Hershey's Special Dark -- not mixed with anything such as nuts or coconut, rice-krispies -- what have you -- that I began to enjoy chocolate once again.

My paternal grandmother was born in Monterrey, Mexico (actually, somewhere between there and Zacatecas) and her rendition of hot chocolate was an incredibly strong beverage that none of my friends could stomach when we were children. But I loved it. She basically just dumped Hershey's Coco straight from the can and made a thick, hot paste with boiling water. She'd toss in a enough real vanilla extract to soften the bite, and you could still taste the alcohol from the vanilla extract. And that was chocolate when I was growing up. Sometimes she'd find unroasted beans or some totally unknown brand of Mexican chocolate that had to be crushed up in a mortar and pulverized. But Hershey's Coco makes a good approximation of the real stuff when there's nothing else. I still buy "baker's" chocolate and gnaw on it. I'm addicted to the dark bitter taste.

Hot chocolate shops offering a variety of beverages that make your ears bleed or just make you smile because of the addition of black raw sugar and cinnamon are once again making a comeback in the upscale parts of Mexico City . . . especially in La Condesa. And the old, cramped and very tiny hot chocolate cafes in the Barri Gotic are once again offering black hot chocolate with the stuff they've been selling for centuries. In Spain, if the spoon doesn't stand up straight in your hot chocolate, the chocolate (not the spoon) is considered inferior.

Off topic: For those of you interested in losing a few pounds, put a big dash of ground cinnamon in your morning coffee or on top of the foam of a cup of cappucino. Turns out that cinnamon is a very strong natural appetite suppressant and it works for hours. Nutmeg has a similar effect. But if you consume to much nutmeg you'll start to hallucinate and have visions. :biggrin1:

Great tip at the end there. :biggrin1:

Indeed, I have a friend who is now a chocolate maker, and they take to using cacao from different specific regions. It's rather exciting the different flavor based on which region the cacao came from. They also make raw bars (which I'm not a huge fan of, to be honest). But I do LOVE the chile pepper chocolate they put together. It's extremely dark, but the chile really sets off the dark chocolate so well.

I honestly am not a big chocolate fan generally, but that I can eat (albeit one bite at a time). I mean, I'll eat chocolate, but I'm not one of these chocoholics who simply must have a chocolate or else they'll go all depressed and such. :biggrin1:

As for Cadbury, I've certainly had it (and by that I mean the stuff from England, not the American version) and I guess it was okay. I'm actually with you on finding it a bit too sweet. And I'm not partial to Hershey's either, for the same reason. Godiva makes some decent chocolates, I suppose.

I tend to stick to the artisan chocolate if I'm going to eat any. It may be five or six dollars a bar, but it takes me long enough to eat them that it's not really that much more than one of these super sweet bars.

wseattle

Superior Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cadbury's? Too bland and cloying for me. Remember when the EU was going to make us call British chocolate Vegolate because of the lack of cocoa butter and substituted vegetable oils? Mind you, the one time I had a Hershey's bar I was very disappointed. Gritty.
I enjoy cadbury but nothing beats a reeses peanut butter cup..

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I used to eat 3-4 bars of Bournville every day, but then I graduated and could afford 70% Lindt instead. I went to visit friends in Brussels a few years ago and top of the list of things to bring over was Cadbury's chocolate. It's the same when I go to Australia, but, having tried what passes for chocolate over there, I can understand why!

I'm not a great fan of Cadbury's myself, although I do still have the odd Bournville or Cream Egg, so I hope they don't spoil the brand.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've had some 90% cocoa chocolates that smelled like dirty socks but dam if it wasn't the best chocolate I've ever had. Some weird brand I got at World Market....

speshk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My family have a long connection with a famous chocolatiers so was raised on a meager but superior quality amount of chocolate. The Cadburys are fine people, but their chocolate is mainly of a middling quality. Some still British comapnies now have their products made in Slovakia and eastern Europe but the quality isn't the same: some selections have been abandoned because too expensive to produce and the centres are filled with this vile Euromuck instead. Seems the only place you can get good chocolate at fair prices is Denmark. British food, especially confectionary is getting crappier and crappier so if the Americans take it over and make it the old way then good for them - and do it soon please.

Perhaps you haven't noticed but we're not into improving things these days, merely squeezing out whatever profits may yet be had and discarding the carcass, I'm sorry to report. First the lawyers, then the MBAs, I say.

Catchoftheday

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Last edited: