Led Zeppelin - Great American Music

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Not only were the inspired by American Blues and Folk, they actually stole many songs and reworked them.

Countdown: 10 Songs Led Zeppelin Stole From Other Artists : EAR FARM :: music information helps grow ears

I still love them because they took songs that were forgettable and made them great.

I was never into them when I was younger, but they have so many amazing songs that I never knew the name of (especially D'Yer Mak'er). Every so often I will discover a gem of their that I never heard before.

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Flashy would have loved this thread: you trying to coax him out of lurking, Mem?

:cool::tongue:

3. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

It's never too late. I found them just a couple of years ago. Robert Plant has an incredible voice.

4. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

Some well known influences.... a few of those are streches...

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

They are known to have plagiarized songs. They've paid out settlements and have given people writing credits on reissues.

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Had... As my voice coach so eloquently put it, "Even Robert Plant can't sing like Robert Plant any more."

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I really, really, fucking detest Led Zeppelin, btw. They outright stole a bunch of blues standards and tried to claim them as their own. Many of their songs are watered-down renditions of other people's material, and are annoying to listen to because I can't help mentally comparing them to the originals.

They did have a fantastic drummer, though, and John Paul Jones is one of the few authentic musical geniuses of rock and roll.

8. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

Haven't heard anything recent, and I don't want to, because you're probably right, and I don't wanna kill the feeling.

9. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

He has a new band, and they have a new album coming out next month. He made and excellent album and did a tour with Alison Krause a couple of years ago. He carries a tune very well, and has learned to sing convincingly through the years.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Worshiping LZ as one's personal Gods was compulsory throughout my teen years (1973-79) in the town I grew up in: I was always a heretic, preferring Cat Stevens, Joni Mitchell, David Bowie and (eventually) Disco. But then, they always knew I was a fag. Coming out in senior year (1977) was the biggest anti-climatic moment of my high school career :cool:

It was music to get stoned to: that's all.

11. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

They took throw away songs that never became hits and sometimes changed the lyrics and the orchestration to make amazing music.

noted blues author and producer Robert Palmer states "It is the custom, in blues music, for a singer to borrow verses from contemporary sources, both oral and recorded, add his own tune and/or arrangement, and call the song his own".[215][239] Folklorist Carl Lindahl, refers to these recycling of lyrics in songs as "floating lyrics". He defines it within the folk-music tradition as "lines that have circulated so long in folk communities that tradition-steeped singers call them instantly to mind and rearrange them constantly, and often unconsciously, to suit their personal and community aesthetics"

After the Beatles, IMHO, Led Zeppelin is the second greatest rock band ever.

#11 Mem, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  12. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Well, I'd like to see it your way, but I just can't see my way clear to taking a lot of illicit drugs and hitting myself repeatedly on the head with a 10" cast iron skillet.

13. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I really wish you would, I'd pay for both.

14. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Indeed.

And The Beatles stole from Bach. Fakers!

15. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe it's because the song title is never sung in the lyrics, so I never knew for years...but I remember being freaked out when I learned that song title is pronounced like "Jamaica".

16. Boobalaa

Gold Member

As that eloquent Canadian Neil Young once said.."it's all the same song"

17. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

A very overrated and uncreative band. If you have one album, you have them all. The same with Bruce Springsteen. He must have 58 songs about driving all night to buy his girl a pair of shoes. Music made simply to make money. Uncreative, annoying and banal.

Draft saved Draft deleted