Left-Wing Eco Terrorist Takes Hostages at Discovery Building

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KTF40, Sep 1, 2010.

1. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Uh oh :ugh:

Hope those in danger are able to come out of this safely and in good health.

2. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

Just read it online in our newspapers. Reason. They are not taking care of the earth. What are your newspapers and newschannels saying?

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    What's left wing about him?

Sounds more un-hinged than anything else.

Here is his manifesto- My Demands

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    From Reuters:

The man's deranged, but how is he "left-wing"? As far as I can tell, he's a lone crazed man with a (terribly formatted) website.

There's no party affiliation anywhere that I've seen.

5. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Lee said he experienced an ‘‘awakening” when he watched former Vice President Al Gore’s environmental documentary ‘‘An Inconvenient Truth.”"

Man holds hostages at Discovery TV building - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

From the manifesto- "Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is. That, and all its disgusting religious-cultural roots and greed."

"All programs promoting War and the technology behind those must cease."

He's an environmentalist, peace activist, and a secularist. Doesn't really get more liberal-leaning than that. However, this guy is definitely on the extreme end.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's funny: I always thought Liberals were all about Big Government's tyranny over individual liberties.

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Stereotype much? :rolleyes:
    I've been watching this develop on MSNBC, CNN and other news sites online and not a single one of them have referred to this guy as "left-wing". Grant it, there's lunatics on both sides of the aisle, but it would be best if we allow the story to unfold before you resort to your partisan labeling.

Besides... even if he was "left-wing", what difference does it make?

8. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
  9. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Margaret Thatcher:

we are “the trustees of this planet, charged today with preserving life itself – preserving life with all its mystery and all its wonder”.

10. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Are you denying that those aren't major ideas of modern day liberal philosophy? Know any republicans/conservatives who are environmentalists, peace activists, and secularists? I can't name any, buy I can think of plenty of left-wingers.

Anyways, this shouldn't be a political debate. Our main focus should be on the safety of the hostages.

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Then why post it in the Politics Forum instead of Etc?

12. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why are you turning a potential tragedy into an opportunity to bash liberalism when it is obvious that one has little to do with the other? It sounds a bit like trolling to me. Seems your only reason to start this thread was to bash anyone who disagrees with you politically. Douchebag

13. sargon20

Gold Member

This is the black/white team we're dealing with here. Right left black white right wrong straight gay. No grey allowed. You can't rally the troops with those grey issues.

14. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Since this thread was posted in the politics forum ( http://www.lpsg.org/199732-is-this-where-the-usa.html ), I don't see why this one can't be here.

Just heard the hostages were freed. Woot!

15. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lol, and the name calling begins! That didn't take long.

16. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I have a number of friends who are registered as Republicans who do care about various environmental issues. So sorry that your scope of friends are as narrow-minded as your political beliefs.

BBucko already presented to you the $64,000 question. If it was just about the safety of the hostages this wouldn't be in the Politics threads. However, considering that you posted it here and used your political biases to label the man as "left wing" even when none of the news organizations have yet to do it, your motives to suggest that "liberals are crazy" are all too apparent.

People like you are too easy to figure out. Try to make it more of a challenge next time. :rolleyes:

17. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    You very disingenuously said that this shouldn't be "a political discussion" with your polemical headline and its being posted in the Politics forum. Get real.

Since you ignored Thatcher's quote to the UN (and the entire column linked regarding David Cameron's Conservative environmentalism, I'll quote some more relevant parts:

I'll also throw in a link to Pat Buchanan, that infamous left-wing nut, who posted this on antiwar.com

18. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    I said environmentalists, peace activists, and secularists. Just because you know a republican who cares about the environment doesn't mean your friends fits all the criteria that I mentioned. So yeah, still waiting on an answer.

There really isn't anything I posted that is different than the thread started by Industrialize except my posting occurred when the incident was happening. We all know this is going to be a major political issues on tv, newspapers, and radio in the coming days so this is exactly where this thread belongs.

19. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Margaret Thatcher isn't a peace activist and neither is Pat Buchanan. They don't fit the criteria I mentioned. That's why I ignored your post. Try again.

And by your logic, since I typically agree with Buchanan on about 95% of foreign policy related things, I guess that makes me a peace activist LOL

20. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Margaret Thatcher's quote was regarding environmentalism, which you claim is anathema to true conservatism. And, FWIW, Buchanan's view on war, including what he thinks was our wrong decision to enter WW2, may not be pacifist, but he is very, very much against the use of the US military for anything other than self defense.

Shall I try a three-minute Google search to find a couple of conservative secularists/atheists?

Draft saved Draft deleted